Portland Reptile Expo, Share what you got!

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I got my second tarantula, Bumble Bee the GBB! We also picked up an Idolomantis diabolica (Devil's Flower mantis), a Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid mantis), a Hyllus diardi (largest species of jumping spider), and a Polyfiberous stuffidica (stuffed Iguana, lol). And of course some fly larvae.
The mantids and jumper are too small for my old phone camera, when I manage to get some good pics I'll add them to the thread, but for now here's my widdle Bumble Bee :) 1578944052496.jpg

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I was there too. Picked up a P.murinus or OBT. Also got a banana ball python.

Last edited:

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I got my second tarantula, Bumble Bee the GBB! We also picked up an Idolomantis diabolica (Devil's Flower mantis), a Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid mantis), a Hyllus diardi (largest species of jumping spider), and a Polyfiberous stuffidica (stuffed Iguana, lol). And of course some fly larvae.
The mantids and jumper are too small for my old phone camera, when I manage to get some good pics I'll add them to the thread, but for now here's my widdle Bumble Bee :) View attachment 330867
Hyllus diardi, really? :wideyed: Do you mind telling me the vendor? I stayed away to avoid the temptation of more Ts, but H. diardi is a dream spood! Nice finds, please share some photos when your other cuties get bigger :D

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
I was there too. Picked up a P.murinus or OBT. Also got a banana ball python.
Cool! I'd love to see pics of both :) How much was the python?

Hyllus diardi, really? :wideyed: Do you mind telling me the vendor?
Emerald City Cresties, I think we got a card from them that I can take a pic of if needed :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Cool! I'd love to see pics of both :) How much was the python?
I’ll post some pics of the OBT and python when I get a chance. The python is actually my gf’s but she paid $225 for it. They wanted $250 but I was able to talk them down a bit. The sling was $10. I put a small piece of moss in with her last night for anchor points and started a burrow for her. Woke up today to a substantial amount of webbing and a more extensive burrow.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
The python is actually my gf’s but she paid $225 for it. They wanted $250 but I was able to talk them down a bit. The sling was $10.
Congrats to your girl :) I love ball pythons, hoping to get one in the near future. What vendor did the OBT come from? My GBB was $50, there were cheaper options for beginners like me, but I was able to convince the hubs this one was well worth it, I'm so so happy. It ate a small roach last night. I'll be getting it a tiny fake leaf to web up tomorrow, as well as a new house for after it's next molt. Someone I was talking to showed me their tiny H. mac, and I fell instantly for that thing. I think I may be getting into some OWs a little sooner than I thought I would!

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Congrats to your girl :) I love ball pythons, hoping to get one in the near future. What vendor did the OBT come from? My GBB was $50, there were cheaper options for beginners like me, but I was able to convince the hubs this one was well worth it, I'm so so happy. It ate a small roach last night. I'll be getting it a tiny fake leaf to web up tomorrow, as well as a new house for after it's next molt. Someone I was talking to showed me their tiny H. mac, and I fell instantly for that thing. I think I may be getting into some OWs a little sooner than I thought I would!
I got it from the same as you. Twisted silk exotics. I’ve had oldworlds for a while now. Depending on how new you are to T’s the one thing I’m going to tell you about oldworlds is proceed with caution. I say this as not saying don’t do it, but make sure you are more comfortable with rehousing more “docile” types of T’s and situations that may arise. I can’t emphasize enough how fast oldworlds are. Also, their venom is WAY more potent as I’m sure you’re aware. These are things to take into consideration and how you’ll respond. Because there will come a time when one bolts off at the speed of light and ends up on your arm then down your back. You’re going to have fun with your gbb. Awesome Webber’s and an amazing appetite. Mine loves to kick hairs at me when I open the enclosure haha.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did not attend due to temptation. Should have listened to the little red guy that sits on my left shoulder. Twisted Silk Exotics doesn't have a website or I cannot find it. Just a Face Book reference.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
I got it from the same as you. Twisted silk exotics. I’ve had oldworlds for a while now. Depending on how new you are to T’s the one thing I’m going to tell you about oldworlds is proceed with caution. I say this as not saying don’t do it, but make sure you are more comfortable with rehousing more “docile” types of T’s and situations that may arise. I can’t emphasize enough how fast oldworlds are. Also, their venom is WAY more potent as I’m sure you’re aware. These are things to take into consideration and how you’ll respond. Because there will come a time when one bolts off at the speed of light and ends up on your arm then down your back. You’re going to have fun with your gbb. Awesome Webber’s and an amazing appetite. Mine loves to kick hairs at me when I open the enclosure haha.
I'm very new to keeping, 2 and a half months. I don't even feel ready for any arboreals yet, I know enough to care for them but the poop cannons and tendency to jump on you when doing maintenance (or so I've read) are some things I am not ready to deal with yet. I plan on getting at least a few more NW terrestrials before I even get an A. avic. I had previously thought maybe I would never want an OW, now I know it's something I do want to work towards. But that's still years away :)
Everybody really seem to enjoy their GBBs, I mean how could anyone not love them. I haven't seen mine kick yet, but I've only opened up the bottle a couple of times. Hopefully it molts soon so I can rehouse it.
How long have you been keeping and how many do you have?

Twisted Silk Exotics doesn't have a website or I cannot find it. Just a Face Book reference.
Yeah, you can make an appointment with them to see what they have, you might be able to email them for a list. It's just their name @gmail. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I'm very new to keeping, 2 and a half months. I don't even feel ready for any arboreals yet, I know enough to care for them but the poop cannons and tendency to jump on you when doing maintenance (or so I've read) are some things I am not ready to deal with yet. I plan on getting at least a few more NW terrestrials before I even get an A. avic.
In my experience dealing with arboreal slings, I've never seen a sling poop towards me or jump. Perhaps I'm just lucky? Either way once you go arboreal, you'll wonder what took you so long.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I'm very new to keeping, 2 and a half months. I don't even feel ready for any arboreals yet, I know enough to care for them but the poop cannons and tendency to jump on you when doing maintenance (or so I've read) are some things I am not ready to deal with yet. I plan on getting at least a few more NW terrestrials before I even get an A. avic. I had previously thought maybe I would never want an OW, now I know it's something I do want to work towards. But that's still years away :)
Everybody really seem to enjoy their GBBs, I mean how could anyone not love them. I haven't seen mine kick yet, but I've only opened up the bottle a couple of times. Hopefully it molts soon so I can rehouse it.
How long have you been keeping and how many do you have?
Over a decade. And after picking up the OBT that puts me at 31. What’s funny is that the OBT is actually my nephews. Granted he’s only 6 and has zero T husbandry experience and his parents won’t allow him to have tarantulas. So that’s where the cool uncle comes into play. He calls me every few days to remind me to water/feed haha. It’s his T but lives with me. He wanted one bad T, so... I got him one haha. As far as getting an oldworld, I think you’re definitely doing things right by taking your time and getting comfortable with different species. When it comes to care with OW’s, it really no different than new worlds in most regards. The big difference is being confident in your abilities When working with ow’s. Mostly because the speed and the consequences are much higher. But I’m really excited to see future posts from you and watch your husbandry/experience grow. Especially when you get your first ow :)

Last edited:

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Over a decade. And after picking up the OBT that puts me at 31. What’s funny is that the OBT is actually my nephews. Granted he’s only 6 and has zero T husbandry experience and his parents won’t allow him to have tarantulas. So that’s where the cool uncle comes into play. He calls me every few days to remind me to water/feed haha. It’s his T but lives with me. He wanted one bad T, so... I got him one haha. As far as getting an oldworld, I think you’re definitely doing things right by taking your time and getting comfortable with different species. When it comes to care with OW’s, it really no different than new worlds in most regards. The big difference is being confident in your abilities When working with ow’s. Mostly because the speed and the consequences are much higher. But I’m really excited to see future posts from you and watch your husbandry/experience grow. Especially when you get your first ow :)
A decade ago I would never have had a spider in my house on purpose, lol. I presume you keep other things as well?
That's so cool you involve your nephew like that, I hope he stays that intrigued in this hobby and whatever else in life he loves. It's awesome when we can inspire anyone with the pets we keep. My kid likes our inverts, though he might kinda think his parents are a smidge crazy :)
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I enjoy your posts as well and I can tell you have a lot of good advice to offer.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Im holding out for a C. versi :) but I haven't found any locally and there's still so many terrestrials I want!
I have 2 of them...received them as slings...hoping for females! Or better luck than fellow member Cold Blood. Last time I read he's gone 0-17 or so in the C. versi female lottery. :clown::angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
and tendency to jump on you when doing maintenance (or so I've rea
Ive never even heard of that happening...lol....you cant believe everything you hear....and to get pooped on, you need to be handling or just stupidly unlucky....never been hit by t poo either....and i have lots of avics.
17 and no females!!! Nobody deserves that, especially @cold bloo
Yeah, the versicolor gods have not been kind to me....its a species id love to not only own a female of, but i would love to breed them one day.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Ive never even heard of that happening...lol....you cant believe everything you hear....and to get pooped on, you need to be handling or just stupidly unlucky....never been hit by t poo either....and i have lots of avics.
Well that's a relief! I think it was early on in my research that I read that, and since read of them "painting the walls" so maybe I just assumed it happens more often than what is talked about. But now I know not to factor that into my future purchases. Thank you :)