Porcellio hoffmannseggi not reproducing

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve had a small colony of these going for about 3 months now and have not seen any babies yet. Do they just take a long time or something? I know they like it a bit more dry than other Porcellio so that’s how I’ve been keeping them.

Kazeres

Arachnopeon
Giant species of porcellio are seasonal breeders. Spring and autum. I also think that some last several months to adapt to their new "house". When they begin to breed, then follow breeding almost all months. But they need some time. Months in some cases.

What kind of substrate do you use?? And ventilation??

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Giant species of porcellio are seasonal breeders. Spring and autum. I also think that some last several months to adapt to their new "house". When they begin to breed, then follow breeding almost all months. But they need some time. Months in some cases.

What kind of substrate do you use?? And ventilation??
Thanks for the info! I use a mixture of rotting wood, leaves, and Eco Earth coconut fiber. I keep them in a small Sterilite bin, so all of the holes are manually drilled (some in the lid as well as on two sides).

Kazeres

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info! I use a mixture of rotting wood, leaves, and Eco Earth coconut fiber. I keep them in a small Sterilite bin, so all of the holes are manually drilled (some in the lid as well as on two sides).
Add to substrate some silty or clay soil and some calcium source. Spanish porcellio often live in arid zones and and alkaline soils plenty of calcium minerals.