Resolved Pop-ups?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
First, I'd like to say that I'm having this problem across multiple Android devices and several different locations. It can't just be me.

I keep getting this pop up if I spend more than a few minutes on the forums:
Screenshot_2016-10-22-16-26-36.png

It forces me to completely restart my web browser. Which, of course, is futile due to the fact that it just comes back.

This doesn't happen on any other website, only Arachnoboards. Suggestions?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
This exact thing has been happening on my S7 the past week or so.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ah, that started happening to me on my Nexus 6 recently as well (Marshmallow, 6.0.1, not rooted *used to be, on my to-do list*, October security patch). Chrome is old version 47.0.2526.83. I've noticed some other recent oddities on other sites but not pop-ups, more in functionality but likely unrelated.

Edit: no restart necessary, I just kill the app or tab or something, I forget.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I get this pop-up (got twice in a row just now):
Screenshot_20161022-192023.png
Then I press the back button which gets me the page EulersK posted, I haven't checked it word for word. If I press back button again I get an error at this address, "Webpage not available. ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME":

market://details?id=com.energyprotector.tool&referrer=af_tranid%3DIr4m2oG8GuYBdS4_xsyboQ%26pid%3Dappfloodaff_int%26af_siteid%3D752651299%26clickid%3Dc4f5dd54bfff1f7a9c7a29c9ac61673f00%26c%3D752651299%26af_sub1%3D752651299%26af_sub2%3D208819%26af_sub3%3D2016-10-22

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Just came to the forum and was instead greeted with this:
Screenshot_20161022-213533.png

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Glad I'm not alone here.

As of today, the issue seems to have fixed itself. Unless AB fixed something, I only did two things to attempt to remedy the situation.

Go into App Settings (or whatever your phone calls it) and force stop your browser. If possible, uninstall it, restart your phone, and then install it. All I was able to do is force stop, as Chrome can't be uninstalled.

I also ran Malwarebytes through the Play Store. It didn't find anything, but I did it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Wait, judging by the screen shots, it looks like we're all running a Samsung device. I'm on a Note 3. Does anyone here not have a Samsung device?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Wait, judging by the screen shots, it looks like we're all running a Samsung device. I'm on a Note 3. Does anyone here not have a Samsung device?
Edesign has a Google nexus.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Yep, Motorola made.

I haven't been on the boards today except for this post so I can't comment on resolution.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Just got the pop-up again. I need to root, backup all my APK's (I don't always like the updated version changes), then I can try reinstalling Chrome. Hasn't happened on any other site so far.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, it started happening again today. It's a different popup, this time something about Walmart. It doesn't happen nearly as frequently, though.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If anyone who gets pop ups believes what they read, I've got some wonderful tropical beach front property a few miles east of Nova Scotia for sale dirt cheap. Even comes with an easter bunny factory.

Block those bleeping pop ups!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Soooooo you're saying I shouldn't click on the mobile security link I'm given? :bored: Lol, that's no fun.

I do have popup blocking enabled. Coincidentally enough I got it when I clicked on the notification of your reply lol. It's not actually a pop-up, no new tabs are opened, redirect. Still only this site. Very intermittent.

The Snark

Old Timer
I had the beginnings of world war 5 go off in this comp the other day. Had my usual 30 or so windows open when Googlebarf started pouring in along with redirects. My various checks and filters leaped into the battle, Googlecrap started sneaking in from the basement and finally, my memory protection program had to have a stern talk with FF lest it shut it down. That crap is insidious. Think about all the computer illiterates farcebleching their lives away while their device is reprogrammed by Fluckturd aided Googlelytics.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Don't think I've seen that one yet but now I'm jealous and concerned. Jealous because I'd take a $1K gift card, concerned because how do they know I don't shop at Walmart? lol, but mine's been intermittent as I mentioned before. Sometimes it'll do it within a few page clicks, other times I can browse the forums for a few minutes before getting it. I am on my phone surfing the web a lot (I'd venture 6+ hours a day, easily) and this is the only site I get these redirects from and only on my phone, my home computer works fine on AB.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
There are really only two ways to solve this redirection problem...

Option 1: Disable JavaScript in your mobile browser. This really isn't much of an option because you will lose functionality on this site and on other sites you visit. Websites will essentially break.

Option 2: The most controversial option. Install an ad blocking app on your device.

Now the why these are your only two options. The browser redirections are occurring from the ads served on a website and are using JavaScript to perform the redirection to another site. Ads are controlled by third-party networks/ content providers in which a website owner has no control over. Because this is done in browser with JavaScript, reinstalling or restoring your mobile operating system will have no effect. Same with deleting cookies or your browser cache. The problem isn't with your device or browser, but with the advertising content provider(s).

You will have to research ad blocking apps or the effect of disabling JavaScript in the browser on your own and test what effects they have. The mods here on AB can't provide technical support for this nor can we (moderators) take any responsibility for what you do with your own device. Also, I am speaking as a regular user and I'm not speaking for Arachnoboards. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thank you very much for responding, that actually cleared a bit up. Unfortunately , I'm already running an ad blocker - as are many users in this thread. It's an entire redirect, not just a popup.

The Snark

Old Timer
Not ad blocker. Pop up blocker. Built in to FF for example.