Poor little chaco :(

Bread

Arachnopeon
He molted 8 days ago (only 1cm), but hasn't come out yet so I decided to check on him (I could see him but he wasn't moving)

He's missing a chelicerae and both fangs :(
His enclosure isn't too dry and he's been happy as a clam up till now, he's still moving about okay now but obviously can't eat, suggestions if any on what to do next?

** hes quite fat and Im wondering if he will last till his next molt being small?

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe you can try a piece of mealie with the innards squished out? Is it possible to upload a pic for abdomen size?

Bread

Arachnopeon
I could try that, he's still mobile and even tried flicking hairs at me (mid flick in the pic)so he cant be happy.

Looks like he may have lost a little fluid possible, hard to see as he keeps moving about, he does have a black patch appearing on his abdomen like he's going into pre molt straight away? (i know they can do emergency molts but can it be that fast?).

The muck on him is from when i moved his house, not his own doing.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Are you sure there wasn't a cricket in with it whilst it was molting?

Bread

Arachnopeon
100%, hes not been eating for a week prior and he's in a small tub (easy to spot leftovers), I also dont give him crickets he gets legless locusts.

basin79

ArachnoGod
100%, hes not been eating for a week prior and he's in a small tub (easy to spot leftovers), I also dont give him crickets he gets legless locusts.
OK. I was just wondering if he'd been eaten whilst shedding.

Bread

Arachnopeon
OK. I was just wondering if he'd been eaten whilst shedding.
It was my first worry tbh when I saw him, but I always watch him tackle his prey and I have removed his little hide and dish to check on him and there's nothing in there with him.

cold blood

Staff member
Feed wax worm pieces. Its a little sloppy, but its easily consumed by a fangless t IME.

And dont expect it to eat a lot...often its a longer cycle to the next molt.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Ill give it a shot, I've got a pair of spidey-scissors just for that kind of job :)
should i ICU him or leave him in his sub you think, may help him to drink from moist tissue as hes just molted.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ill give it a shot, I've got a pair of spidey-scissors just for that kind of job :)
should i ICU him or leave him in his sub you think, may help him to drink from moist tissue as hes just molted.
Careful with the waxworm cutting, don't hold it too tight on the other end...and don't do it while looking closely if you are cutting it. It will squirt out like a bodylotion. Blegh.
*sigh* yes. I know from experience.:D

Bread

Arachnopeon
Yeh i found that out :p

I also found it amusing that both ends kept wiggling :p

basin79

ArachnoGod
Why...seems a bit redundant....i dont think a cut up waxie is capable of much. I crush worm heads, but ive never done it with waxies.
That's for the waxworm's benefit. Yes they're a feeder but they're living creatures. Kill it before chopping it up.