Poop and bolus

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
How often do Ts normally poop and what does their poop look like when on a cricket based diet? I got my T 10 days ago and she has pooped twice (I think).

Why haven't I been able to find a bolus in my T's enclosure when she has definitely eaten several times? I've looked everywhere and it all just looks like substrate to me. If I can't find them, won't they spoil her substrate?

Please remember this is my 1st T, so these questions might seem silly, but they are legit questions of mine.

Thanks!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
How often do Ts normally poop and what does their poop look like when on a cricket based diet? I got my T 10 days ago and she has pooped twice (I think).

Why haven't I been able to find a bolus in my T's enclosure when she has definitely eaten several times? I've looked everywhere and it all just looks like substrate to me. If I can't find them, won't they spoil her substrate?

Please remember this is my 1st T, so these questions might seem silly, but they are legit questions of mine.

Thanks!
Ahahaha! Right, don´t worry about the T pooping. It won´t smell and if you can see traces of it, it will only be some traces on the sides of the enclosures. As for what the poop look like on a cricket based diet compared to other diets, I can´t really tell. I also can´t tell how often they poop, but I assume they do it when and where they need to :wideyed:

As for the boluses, they look like small, wrapped up balls. If you see some laying around you should take them out, but don´t stress with trying to look for them through the substrate.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Looks like bird poop. White globs on the side of the tank. My pink toes always poop right on the side of the enclosure, impossible to miss. The leftover food might get some white fuzzy mold if left in the enclosure. Just get it out promptly when u see one to avoid this.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I often don't find any bolus remains either. It is hit or miss and I just hope that it is too dry in my enclosures to cause a mite issue. The avics will sometimes hang them from their webs or the fake plants like Christmas ornaments. I kid you not. Bless their little hearts, they make it easy to find them to remove.
Poop is often smeared around and is a chalky, white or beige, substance. Sometimes it is in their water dish and looks like it could be mites, except when you disturb it becomes milky in the water.
And sometimes, especially with the avics, when it is not disturbed or smeared it looks like this...
DSC06382-2.jpg

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
She might be leaving her bolus remains in the hollow wood stump she uses as her hide.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
its called spot cleaning for a reason. ;) if you cant find it with a cursory look over the sub and in/around the water bowl, dont worry about it. i find a flashlight helps a lot with finding them. not to mention Avic cages are dry and very well ventilated, mold and other things will have a hard time infesting the cage.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My A.metallica does what @VanessaS says, hanging tiny balls on strands of silk from branches/leaves.
And some tarantula are more efficient eaters than others, and leave nothing but a tiny spec for a bolus. As for poop, this species likes to smear it out on the sides of the enclosure, so it will be easy to find :D

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
My A.metallica does what @VanessaS says, hanging tiny balls on strands of silk from branches/leaves.
And some tarantula are more efficient eaters than others, and leave nothing but a tiny spec for a bolus. As for poop, this species likes to smear it out on the sides of the enclosure, so it will be easy to find :D
OK so I really think this is actually the cutest behavior ever. Hanging bolus remains. Adorable.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Avic cages are dry and very well ventilated, mold and other things will have a hard time infesting the cage.
In my avic avic enclosure I used coconut fiber mixed with moss and a piece of moss ended up hanging over into the water bowl and soaked up all the water. Now that area around the water bowl is quite damp. I refilled the water bowl and made sure there wasn't any moss around to soak up more water. Will that wet area cause a problem? I'm trying to just let it dry out.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Here is my little girl, Aspen, showing off her bolus decoration. I have the lid open in this photo, so it is not hanging down. It did when the lid was closed.
DSC02597-2.jpg

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Here is my little girl, Aspen, showing off her bolus decoration. I have the lid open in this photo, so it is not hanging down. It did when the lid was closed.
View attachment 228145
My avic avic hasn't really webbed much yet. She has webbed up her hollow log a little, but that's about it. I hope she gets comfortable enough to make some webs and it would be really neat if she even came out of her stump. She's just been hanging out in there. Sometimes she'll emerge enough for me to see her back legs and her abdomen, but that's about it these past few days.

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
My mature T. stirmi has left bolus's the same diameter of a bottle cap! But only she gets large meals. I would get the big ones out if I could, but I've never worried about it, even in a humid enclosure. You have to think, when they eat, they turn everything to bug juice, and slurp it up! Leaving the bolus as dry as Jim Carry's jokes. So they don't rot, or mold, or stink.

Kimickz

Arachnopeon

Thanks!
Here's a poop of my B.Albopilosum
http://imgur.com/a/ZuFB0