Polyxenida Care

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
My culture is collapsing, with individuals literally melting against the walls. Likely improper food. Been giving then some fungus from the dirt, moss, and lichen from rocks, any suggestions?
RSCN0133.JPG
RSCN0130.JPG

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well I've never had the melting issue, mine just slowly died off without producing offspring... No idea how to keep these properly, I don't think anyone's had success with them.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
ANY water on the sides of the tank will kill flat millipedes. They are super susceptible to this because they cannot lift their heads out of the water like round millipedes are able to, babies especially and smaller species. My polydesmus angustus reproduced and the offspring died 3 times before I figured out it was the sides, and seeing what species you have, it’s probably similar to my offspring which would explain the “melting” behavior that you’re seeing. If you have any water on the sides just wipe it off and keep spraying to the middle of the enclosure.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
ANY water on the sides of the tank will kill flat millipedes. They are super susceptible to this because they cannot lift their heads out of the water like round millipedes are able to, babies especially and smaller species. My polydesmus angustus reproduced and the offspring died 3 times before I figured out it was the sides, and seeing what species you have, it’s probably similar to my offspring which would explain the “melting” behavior that you’re seeing. If you have any water on the sides just wipe it off and keep spraying to the middle of the enclosure.
Thank You! Ill definitely keep that in mind until I move them to a larger enclosure.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Thank You! Ill definitely keep that in mind until I move them to a larger enclosure.
No problem! Your species is also known to rely on lichen, so a nice piece of wood with some lichen would probably really help them out. If you get any reproduction let me know :)

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Somehow I've been able to stabilize the population, no deaths so far after adding a new batch. The setup is a mishmashed 2 by 1 inch container containing moss, dirt, eggshell, bark, lichen, soil hyphae, and some patches of mold.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
I've done it! Noticed some tiny babies against the container walls! From the looks of it only 3 segments, minus the head. I almost mistook them for pauropods until I saw the wispy tail tuft. Measure in at slightly less than half a mm.
CSC_2244.JPG CSC_2249.JPG CSC_2250.JPG
CSC_2254.JPG

Also photographed some adults for the fun of it.

CSC_2255.JPG CSC_2256.JPG
CSC_2257.JPG CSC_2258.JPG

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Holy crap, congratulations! You may be the first person to breed these in captivity! (the first I know of at least! 😂).

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Bit worried here, shortly after they bred all the individuals have gone away. I cant see any evidence of them, but no corpses either, so they may still be alive. Perhaps they've gone dormant? If this continues Ill move them inside and maybe carefully scrape off some layers of soil.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Went and dug through the container, looks like another failure. Ill leave the substrate to sit in case I missed something, but pretty sure they're all dead. Not sure what went wrong. Perhaps next time will be better.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Went and dug through the container, looks like another failure. Ill leave the substrate to sit in case I missed something, but pretty sure they're all dead. Not sure what went wrong. Perhaps next time will be better.
Ah dang, that sucks, wonder what happened... Was there a spike in temps or anything?

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Thats definitely possible, although as of right now it doesn't seem likely. In the wild here they live in dry, hot conditions. I'm thinking it may have to do with the soil I made for them, next time it may be better to collect some from the original habitat.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Found a very large group of adults aggregating under a deep set stone and many juveniles by themselves. Starting over again with this species, this time with objects from their native habitat only.
CSC_5471.JPG