Poll: What type of water do you give your Ts?

Well?

• Total voters

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I just use the mountain spring water that comes in bottles. Figure it is safe enough for them, seems to work well ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I already buy large jugs of spring water for myself, so it is easy to use for my T's as well. I drink a lot of water in lieu of colas, etc. and use it for my hot tea. I prefer the taste of spring water.

I am not a chemical expert, but only chlorine will evaporate from tap water that sits for a time period. Some cities now use chloramine because they feel it works better to prevent bacteria in tap water. It is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. It is also harder to remove with simple filters.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Crystal clear water, from a pristine spring issuing forth from the Himalayan mountains, drawn with a chalice of the purest silver and blessed by a holy sherpa. It is then filtered though the fur of a snow leopard and bottled within a flask crafted from a large diamond and airlifted via Airforce One, which releases a bald eagle that flies it directly to my doorstep.
The shipping and handling is murder, but nothing but the best for my spiders. And I order it in multiples to help defray the cost of overnight shipping.

And I've been led to believe that distilled water is not a good choice for drinking water. Osmosis due to lack of minerals and all that...

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I already buy large jugs of spring water for myself, so it is easy to use for my T's as well. I drink a lot of water in lieu of colas, etc. and use it for my hot tea. I prefer the taste of spring water.

I am not a chemical expert, but only chlorine will evaporate from tap water that sits for a time period. Some cities now use chloramine because they feel it works better to prevent bacteria in tap water. It is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. It is also harder to remove with simple filters.
My city enjoys a hearty dose of rocket fuel in the tap water. Adds flavor.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Crystal clear water, from a pristine spring issuing forth from the Himalayan mountains drawn with a chalice of the purest silver and blessed by a holy sherpa. It is then filtered though the fur of a snow leopard and bottled within a flask crafted from a large diamond and airlifted via Airforce One, which releases a bald eagle that flies it directly to my doorstep....
Had to stop reading halfway through to catch my breath :rofl:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
And I've been led to believe that distilled water is not a good choice for drinking water. Osmosis due to lack of minerals and all that...
I agree... Distilled water has no minerals which is great for using in machines. As the minerals can gunk up parts over time. Humans benefit from the minerals in drinking water, so I assume the same applies to Tarantulas.

Spring water or filtered water is best.

Last edited:

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I just use the mountain spring water that comes in bottles. Figure it is safe enough for them, seems to work well ;)
You are aware that mountain spring water is a clever advertising ploy to rename tap water.
There was a documentary made that went into the great details surrounding this fraud. It is called.'Tapped'

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I use dechlorinator w/tap water since I have it for other animals, but I don't really think chlorine or anything else in tap water bothers T's.
Chlorine is unstable in water -- it can take 24 hours or less for the water to be chlorine-free -- so exposure would be low unless your tarantula drank soon after being watered.

However, there are other chemicals like chloramine (more stable than chlorine), fluoride, and anti-corrosive additives in tap water. Tarantulas' systems are a lot different from our own, so I'm not sure if these chemicals are toxic to tarantulas in the dosages found in tap water or if the effect is cumulative over time.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
You are aware that mountain spring water is a clever advertising ploy to rename tap water.
There was a documentary made that went into the great details surrounding this fraud. It is called.'Tapped'
Really? Wow, I knew ot was a brand, but never knew that it was, in essence, tap water. Will have to wtach the documentary :D Regardless, it seems fine to the inverts. They drink and get all their moisture. As long as they don't mind (to me, it also tastes pretty good ;))

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Chlorine is unstable in water -- it can take 24 hours or less for the water to be chlorine-free -- so exposure would be low unless your tarantula drank soon after being watered.
That's true, but like Jeff mentioned above, chloramines are becoming more common now. Which doesn't evaporate anywhere near as fast, but with that being said, I personally don't think it harms T's anyways. A lot of well known keepers in this thread alone seem to just use tap water, some of which I'm sure have chloramines and fluoride in their water, and it doesn't seem to bother the T's. EDIT: I totally missed where you mentioned chloramine, sorry. It's been a long day..lol

I just use the dechlorinator since I have it anyways just in case. It removes all the things that could possibly have long term effects on T's plus adds a few beneficial things so I figure why not lol.

Last edited:

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Really? Wow, I knew ot was a brand, but never knew that it was, in essence, tap water. Will have to wtach the documentary :D Regardless, it seems fine to the inverts. They drink and get all their moisture. As long as they don't mind (to me, it also tastes pretty good ;))
By all means it cant be bad im sure it may or may not be filtered depending on brand but essentially all water brands are owned by nestle. Go figure. Its a pretty enlightening documentary. I just give my Ts plain old tap that i rest for a day or two. I wasnt saying what you do is bad but just sharing what i found shocking about the water industry.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I use tap water but I leave it in a bucket for humidity reasons in my animal room.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I see a lot you leave the water for 24 hours in order for the chlorine to evaporate. Just out of curiosity, do you drink it directly from the tap yourself? Here we don´t use chlorine, but the water gets filtered through sand and gets some sort of UV treatment before entering the taps. When I lived in Belgrade however, the water tasted like a swimming pool. I never got sick or anything like that from drinking it, but the taste wasn´t the best.

basin79

ArachnoGod
For the bit T's drink the more important question is how where the fruits and vegetables you feed your live food watered, cleaned and washed? That'll provide you with a better insight on what water goes into your T's.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Crystal clear water, from a pristine spring issuing forth from the Himalayan mountains, drawn with a chalice of the purest silver and blessed by a holy sherpa. It is then filtered though the fur of a snow leopard and bottled within a flask crafted from a large diamond and airlifted via Airforce One, which releases a bald eagle that flies it directly to my doorstep.
The shipping and handling is murder, but nothing but the best for my spiders. And I order it in multiples to help defray the cost of overnight shipping.
Will you...will you adopt me as one of your spiders?

dokpm0

Arachnopeon
My T gets bottled water, the same as I drink. The tap water is terrible where I live. I tried drinking it for a while, after running it through two Pur water pitcher filters. That worked for a while. Apparently at some point the water quality went from bad to worse and even double filtering it wasn't enough anymore. I switched back to bottled water.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My T gets bottled water, the same as I drink. The tap water is terrible where I live. I tried drinking it for a while, after running it through two Pur water pitcher filters. That worked for a while. Apparently at some point the water quality went from bad to worse and even double filtering it wasn't enough anymore. I switched back to bottled water.
Ugh. What a pain in the ass that must be. :(

Jeff23

Arachnolord
While the name "spring water" is a confusing label just like "diet" and "low fat", not all spring waters come from tap water.

Fiji water does come from a natural aquifer, but lately there is some concerning information with problems going on there. I don't know if the problems are true or if it is just politics but I now avoid it.

I have been buying Hydrate which is true spring water, but it is available in gallon jugs at decent prices. It comes from a spring in the Tennessee near the Appalachian mountains. I don't know that it is perfect but YouTube video tests show the PH does match what it says and it doesn't come from tap water.

For me, the big chemical difference between tap water and true spring water is that my Tea pot does not slowly turn green (tarnish) when I use good quality water.

But back to the tarantula world, I think the bigger question on water is what type PH would be best for a tarantula?

Last edited: