Poll: The number of tarantulas that you currently have is...

Poll: The number of tarantulas that you currently have is...

• Much higher than you'd like

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • A little higher than you'd like

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Just about where you want it

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • A little lower than you'd like

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Much lower than you'd like

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Currently I have ten tarantulas. Between those and the other arachnids my spots for enclosures are pretty much filled at the moment; so I'm content with that number. It's also nice to have a mix of traits and sizes. Most likely I'll only get more as males die off.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I voted much higher than I’d like. Sitting at 38, but if you remove the multiples of species I’m at 31. 😁

March will be my two year anniversary keeping. I like all of my T’s, and definitely learning what I really enjoy. Started out thinking avics primarily, but Grammostola has won my heart as well as a few baboons. I’m sure I’ll have many males, so as things mature my collection will thin back out and I can focus on my favorites.

DrT loves Ts

Arachnopeon
I have 10 right now. I thought it was enough at first. Now I see gallery photographs, and I want every species.
I'm ordering about 30 more and hoping my girlfriend won't kill me. Thanks for feeding my new addiction, everyone.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
I'm at 30 right now. I would prefer to be somewhere around 25. I have been trying to sell a few that I have gotten as freebies or do not really want that much if I get new ones in. Selling has been a slow process though.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm at 30 tarantulas, a scorpion, an amblypygid, and a hissing roach. I feel like I'm at my perfect amount right now. Any more and I'd run out of room and be overwhelmed.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
I got into the hobby 2 years ago so I definitely do not have as much ts as I would like since I still live with my parents and they really hate my cute little children...I have 23 as of now and even with school and work I feel like it's not taking nearly as much time as I would like to spend on spiders

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I just ordered a few more, which will bring me up to 66. Ideally, I'd like to be around 50, which isn't that far off. I already have several mature males that may pass at any time, and other males that will be mature before too long.

I voted for 'slightly more than I'd like' because in a couple of years, I'll probably be in the mid-50s due to MMs passing, which is reasonably close to the goal of 50.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
:rofl:ideally i would like one of each out there available to the hobby. :rolleyes:gf would never allow it plus i have given my word to max out at 5:Dstill fun to have an ever changing wish list though

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I currently have 70, maybe a little higher than I'd like but that's mostly because I have multiples of a few species, and some males that I'm waiting on to hook out so that I can sell them on.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Basically over half are utterly disappointed.

No wonder there is so much unhappiness in the world, no one seems grateful to have the disposable income to keep these.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Disagree. If you're slightly lower or slightly higher than you'd like, to say you're utterly disappointed is hyperbolic. Slightly means slightly.

That statement is more likely to apply to people on the extreme ends (and I could argue only the top end, because people who want more tarantulas aren't necessarily miserable or utterly disappointed. They just love tarantulas.)

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
20 is my sweet spot I think (right now). I’m on 19 and have variety - not enough to take too much time to manage, but enough to be able to see ‘interesting things’ fairly regularly. It’s all very subjective though, of course.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
I really wouldn't use the word "disappointed" here
I strongly believe everyone of us in the hobby cherish every moment spent with our spiders and are grateful to have them around
Having less or more than desired doesn't change that fact

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Disagree. If you're slightly lower or slightly higher than you'd like, to say you're utterly disappointed is hyperbolic. Slightly means slightly.

That statement is more likely to apply to people on the extreme ends (and I could argue only the top end, because people who want more tarantulas aren't necessarily miserable or utterly disappointed. They just love tarantulas.)
Of course it's hyperbole.:rofl: I use hyperbole in my life all the time!

I really wouldn't use the word "disappointed" here
Good for you. I did:lol:

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Disappointed that there is no answer "I am perfectly content with how many I have"..."Just about...where I want it", still implies some form of dissatisfaction and or desire to have a different number than you do have. For that reason I can not answer.

In my eyes the poll answer choices seem apt to fit this hobby perfectly though, people are never truly happy with just owning what they have. Buy, buy, buy, gotta have just one more.......

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Content with my current 4. Would love for just one more. A nice, showy spider such as G. iheringi/pulchra or B. klaasi/emilia. But as things currently stand, it's perfectly fine. A couple of Brachys, one Grammo and one Tlilt are better than none at all, I keep saying.