Poll: Have you ever received a tarantula as a gift?

Well?

• Total voters

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't think any of my relatives would buy me a spider.
IMO it's not a bad thing at all, man.

I prefer to buy the ones I like by myself or to receive those for free from tired perfect strangers (read 98% family or their Ladies tired of said T's).

Actually, in all honesty, I don't like to see animals at 360° given as a 'surprise gift' or something... in Italy that mentality is one of the culprits of abandoned dogs :-s

patriotgator

Arachnopeon

I prefer to buy the ones I like by myself or to receive those for free from tired perfect strangers (read 98% family or their Ladies tired of said T's).

Actually, in all honesty, I don't like to see animals at 360° given as a 'surprise gift' or something... in Italy that mentality is one of the culprits of abandoned dogs :-s
Yeah I'd rather get the ones I like for myself.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
To clarify, I'm talking about a gift from a friend, family member, or significant other, NOT "Yeah a breeder I've never met threw a freebie sling in my shipping box."
My first tarantula (a mature female Avicularia avicularia) was a birthday gift from my mother.

Fortunately, though I was new to tarantulas, I knew a lot about spiders in general. (I also know how to find information.)

I quickly realized that the terrestrial setup used by the previous keeper was wrong and got her a new arboreal enclosure, where she seemed much more comfortable.

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
My wife bought me an A. avicularia. It got me back into the hobby. She had no idea what she was about to start.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
All of mine were gifts. 7 were for my birthday, gifted by former AB member Sheri Monk who split the cost with my nephew, and one was from another member here who felt bad that I lost the genic to the Tragic Moult, the tarantula that I had always most desired that was part of the initial birthday group, and so said member generously wanted to replace it.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Not a gift as in present but i got my AF p.ornata, AF p.regalis and AF goddess from my brother when he emigrated to the US

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
I got my first tarantula, a G.rosea, from my sisters friends mother, who was left with it after a breakup. I was just a little kid, and didn't know how the fuck to take care of the poor thing, so I sold it to my cousin, who took even worse care of it. I regret doing that, but it allowed my passion for spiders to come back at a later date, rather than fizzling out due to the frustrations I had as a kid with keeping that damn thing alive and well fed.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I had been out of the T game for a while and my wife wanted in no way for me to get one. Somehow it got brought up around her family and someone said "If I draw your name for Christmas, thats what you're getting." My wife said no way.

Fast forward to Christmas and time for me to open my present. First thing I pull out is a spiderman mask. Under that was a beautiful b smithi in a temp enclosure. It was pretty cool.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Nope, my family members don't understand (except my mother, who loves my tarantulas) my tarantula obsession. Nor do friends, nor coworkers, etc.

I did buy Nhandu carapoensis as a birthday "gift" to myself though.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

You got a valid point indeed. I would never buy a T for someone who doesn't already own one, unless it is specifically asked for.

Reest

Arachnopeon
My parents bought me my Acanthoscurria Geniculata cause i was running low on money at an expo. But that doesn't count since i paid them back :p.

Tulip28

Arachnopeon
My husband came home this weekend with a 2" B. emilia that is most likely female, apparently as a gift for our fifth anniversary.

Oddly enough, he wanted to get the very same B. emilia when I picked up a 1.25" B. smithi a couple weeks ago. She is a great looking T and I love me some Brachypelmas, so can't say I wasn't excited about it haha.