Poll: Do you name your Ts?

Well?

• Total voters

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I do once I know the gender, but I can also see that people who have large collections not bothering with it.

What's your method?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine came with names already. Some even have two, a latin name and a common name. That's good enough for me. They don't come when I call them anyway.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I sometimes name them, if a name comes to me. Sometimes it takes a while. Some have gender-neutral names but I'm not sure those names will stick once I'm able to sex them.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I use names like: Selenocosmia crassipes,
Phormingochilus carpenteri, Chilobrachys guangxiensis and so on...

Last edited:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I do. Obviously, the names make no difference to the spider, as python points out, they don't come when called. That said, naming the spiders makes it much easier to talk to friends and family about my collection than simply referring to them by their scientific names. It also helps me in one case where I have two members of the same species (of course, then I just name the klugi sling "Wanda Jr").

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What about the 0.1 Goddess? She has a name.
No. 'Peanut' is a name :-s

Goddess is only the status/title of the (0.1 only) African Theraphosidae named Pelinobius muticus, that's different. Buy one... and you will have a Goddess, just like me & the others.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no, names are useless. have fun remembering the names at all once you have more than 20.
the scientific name is all i care about.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I do, but I only have 11 at the moment. I'm sure if I had 50 tarantulas I wouldn't do so. I've also found that when introducing them to people who are nervous about them, having names seems make the people meeting them a bit less freaked because it is relatable.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I give my spiders dorky human names. My females get sassy names because it just works for spiders. I mostly do it because I bring some of my collection for my students to see when we're going over Arthropoda. And there's nothing a college biology student loves more than a nerdy instructor who collects spiders and names them:)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I named my tarantula Regina, and if I get more in the future, I'll name some of my favorites or my veterans. I won't name my males.
But it wouldn't be hard to remember the names of a whole bunch of tarantulas. Just label their enclosures.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Yes, but I'm in no hurry. I let the name come to me. Of course I only have 2 for now. A Versicolor named Miss Cleo (she's an islander of course) and my wife named the Gbb "Blue." My wife wants nothing to do with my Ts but when she decided to name one I rolled with it. Maybe they are growing on her.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use scientific names on here and common names IRL unless the person is in the hobby

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I have names for all of my pets. I committed to naming all of my snakes even as I get more and more so for myself I name the spiders. They're just names for me though, online or if anyone asks I refer to them by the scientific names. If you ask me though I named my G Pulchripes, Goldmember, but the name really is just for me to enjoy in my head.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I name mine as soon as one comes to me that seems appropriate for the tarantula's behavior, temperament, or appearance. I don't care if the name doesn't end up matching the sex of the tarantula; it's just for fun.

I label my enclosures with the name, the scientific name, and the sex (if known).

TarantulaTrish

Arachnopeon
We have a 5 year old so everything has a name...every spider, stuffed animal, baby doll, dogs, cats, turtle & tarantulas too! We don't care if they're boys or girls, they have goofy unisex names... Yip, Yap and 'Dek... and more to come!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Voted "other"
I see 0 point in naming them but my wife loves to lol she names them all after im confident of the sex