Poll: Do you name your Ts?

Well?

• Total voters

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
To humor myself I will look up a word in whatever language is spoken in or near where they're from. Such as for my late p regalis named koliali (might be spelled wrong) meaning assasin in the language Tamil. I really only refer to them by their scientific names though

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I name some of my tarantulas.
Theres Medusa the chromatopelma who ate her boyfriend. And 'mean as f' is my H.vonwirthi female

14pokies

Arachnoprince
And 'mean as f' is my H.vonwirthi female
Yea I do this also.. It's time to change the water on psyco *explicit* or "explicit,explicit" ran up the tongs on me again..

That's about as far as pet names go for me and my Ts.. Hell my cat doesn't even really have a name.. What I call him all depends on what he's just knocked over and broken..

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
I've got 10 atm (okay okay 3 of them are spiders not Ts) and I try to name them. Some don't have names yet though.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I use names like: Selenocosmia crassipes,
Phormingochilus carpenteri, Chilobrachys guangxiensis and so on...
Mmmm we got similar taste in names. I like to add numbers to mine as well ;)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Some have names, others don't. They just "grow" into their name. I have more unnamed spiders than ones with names.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't give them names, except for one; that's my mature male P.cambridgei. I call him Grumpy Grandpa, only in Dutch of course. He's nearing two years mature.
When explaining which spider I'm talking about to my husband (whose eyes glaze over if I call my B.smithi a B.smithi), I usually use the most visible feature of said spider. A.versicolor is 'the one with all the colors', not to be confused with my Gbb, which are also the ones with all the colors, but I have two of them, so they are the plural version. :D
My E.murinus is 'the one with the bones', and my E.cyanognathus is 'the one with the blue teeth'.
My P.pulcher are 'the cranky fast arboreals', and so on. :D

creepa

Arachnoknight
Mmmm we got similar taste in names. I like to add numbers to mine as well ;)
Great taste you have then...:pompous:

As for numbers, i will will be going to use them when i breed more then one female of the same species...:D

Mandybean

Arachnopeon
I name all my pets whether they can respond or not :) once had a snail named Squelch.
For tarantulas I like it when people give their big girls big sassy girl names. Or having inappropriately cute ones, like Fluffy...
My previous one had the very unoriginal name of Shelob.:angelic:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Ive never named any of my T's. While I love em, I just don't see them as that kind of pet.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't name my T's as there's only 1 name I like for a T and that's Ariadne. There was a UK kids TV show called Knightmare. They had a T called that. I can't have all my girls called Ariadne so they remain nameless.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Back when I had a live-in girlfriend, she would name them to help us communicate about them easier. She couldn't (or wouldn't) memorize the proper names, so here we are. I stopped naming them when I got her out of my house :D From what I recall, here is what we ended up with...

Ruby, Rafiki, Verner, Bitters, Honey, Hannibal, Sage, Thyme, Twinkle, Helium, Neon, Rojo, Dud, Craig, Stapes, Fodder, Bill, Steve, Ally, Trent, Shelly, Kelly, Sam, Sam, Ivy, Boomie, April, Jack, Marsha, Stacey... and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

You can see why bulk collectors stop naming after a certain point...

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
have fun remembering the names at all once you have more than 20.
Hahah! Only 20 names, you either have a tiny family tree or suffer from CRS. (Can't Remember S**t). J/k!

I'll admit I have 8 with names, been in my care for 18- 25 years. All the others are labeled with the binomial names followed by a number with same specie multiples. Labels are color coded: blue=arboreal, green=terrestrial and orange=fossorial.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hahah! Only 20 names, you either have a tiny family tree or suffer from CRS. (Can't Remember S**t). J/k!

I'll admit I have 8 with names, been in my care for 18- 25 years. All the others are labeled with the binomial names followed by a number with same specie multiples. Labels are color coded: blue=arboreal, green=terrestrial and orange=fossorial.
Haha yeah, I have one or two with names as well.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Nope it would be pointless with my collection. + I <3 Scientific names much better than anything. :)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
So far mine do not have anything other than scientific names but to make it easier when talking about them I will have nicknames for them. Mostly with my wife since she isn't that interested in them.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Of course I name them lol. Doomsday, muffin, pumpkin, crush, Rachel spider, casper, curly, Moe and Larry........