Poll: Do you lock your T enclosures (or T room if you have one?)

Well?

• Yes

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 41 87.2%

• Total voters

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't, personally, but I don't have other pets or kids that might try to get into them, either.

How about you?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Definitely not. I have been blessed with the absence of children, so there's just no need. If I did have children, however, you better believe every spider would have a lock. Not just the hot ones - every spider.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's an absurdity unless you have childrens in your home and therefore is understandable. Pets? While I've never had an issue (and I always had, and have, cats and T's/inverts) a lock what will do, at the end... since, for instance, cats can smash to the floor the enclosure/s?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I have 3 Exo Terra enclosures currently occupied and when the doors are shut, the bottom piece that flips up to "lock" the doors in place, is the closest thing to being "locked". Our animals are kept in the spare bedroom and we hardly ever have guests.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have been blessed with the absence of children
That is a beautiful phrase.

I have got to start using that phrase in my day-to-day conversations. :rofl:
Agreed.

I also have been fortunate enough to not have children so there's no need. My cat doesn't have much interest in my Ts (the crickets, on the other hand, are his favorite toys) and I agree with @Chris LXXIX in that a cat is more likely to cause mass destruction than it is to try and fish something out of a locked box. Plus, putting a lock on a box is like saying "no," and cats only want what they can't or shouldn't have...if I pretend the tarantulas aren't forbidden, he won't ever care. The second I start putting them off limits, he'll start being interested.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My enclosures are secure with the catches etcetera that are on them but my door to them is never locked just closed. No kids and Samson doesn't jump up at door handles.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I don't bother locking anything. My son is 13 and has no interest whatsoever in them, and even if he did he knows better.

boina

Lady of the mites
Yes, all the cages for my larger Ts have locks. The enclosures have front sliding doors and I learned the hard way that my cats have no problem opening them. Generally I agree with @Paiige - my cats have no interest in the Ts, however if there's a cricket or a roach running around in there because the T wasn't hungry the cats Want That Roach/Cricket. So, one morning in my early T keeping days I came downstairs to find a the enclosure of my G. pulchripes open, eco earth everywhere and the T nowhere to be found - and believe me, I looked. Since I couldn't imagine my cats eating an adult G. pulchripes with not even a leg left I enlisted the help of my very nice neighbour and we completely dismantled my bookcase. Well, at that time it still contained books, by now it mostly contains spiders. It's a large bookcase, covering one entire wall. We took the last of the shelves down and there she was - with a bold abdomen that she didn't have before, but otherwise unharmed. My neighbour is a real hero - he is really scared of large spiders, but he still helped.
Since that incident all cages with front sliding doors have a lock.
I also know whenever a T hasn't eaten because my cats will still try to get in there to get the roach/cricket out. If it's only a large spider they have no interest.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Jup, have a lock out of reach on the door of the T-room. Soon to be a T-addic (sp?), also with a lock on the door.
My five year old is not allowed in that room without me, but she finds the 'mr skinnylegs' very interesting. She knows very well to not touch the enclosures, but just in case, a lock. I like having peace of mind.
Also, my cat would probably raid the locusts/S.lateralis bins, leaving me with jumping and scurrying critters all over the place.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Jup, have a lock out of reach on the door of the T-room. Soon to be a T-addic (sp?), also with a lock on the door.
My five year old is not allowed in that room without me, but she finds the 'mr skinnylegs' very interesting. She knows very well to not touch the enclosures, but just in case, a lock. I like having peace of mind.
Also, my cat would probably raid the locusts/S.lateralis bins, leaving me with jumping and scurrying critters all over the place.
Can I ask which T is "Mr. Skinnylegs?"
Also, just so you know, "attic" if you mean the upper storage room in your house :D

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Arboreal enclosures have hasp-n-staples, secured w/h dowels. All others have snap action handles or clips on the lids. Everything is kept in a basement room and the door stays closed. My pit bulls won't enter even if the door is open and I'm inside. Smart dogs!

I live alone, so no worries w/h children.
No one is permitted inside unless I'm accompanying them. My house, my rules!

Leila

Arachnobaron
Ok, so when I first read the title of your poll @nicodimus22, the following internal dialogue took place in my head: "Wait a minute...he cannot be serious...he doesn't latch the doors to his enclosures shut..? Oh my god, this guy is a wild animal!"
:astonished::astonished:
I then realized you were referring to pad locks...:banghead:
Hahaha!

(And for the record, I do not place locks on my enclosures. No kiddos, no pets that meddle with my Ts.)

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I don't lock the ones in arms reach currently but I will be soon because my baby will be walking soon. I've never had issues with my cat though but I generally try to keep her out of my T room

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do use the pin locks and flip locks to secure the cages (just because it ensures that I've got the lids/doors closed all the way) but don't use actual locks on any of my cages. At home, my kids are old enough that they know better than to mess with any of my critters. The door to the invert/reptile room is kept closed just to keep the cats out - my Siamese, in particular, is just a little too interested in anything that moves and completely lacking in common sense.

When I bring my pets to school, though, it's another story altogether. I keep my classroom door locked at all times if I am not in the room. I may trust my own kids - but other people's kids? Not so much. Most of the summer school teachers don't get keys - one of the regular staff members just unlocks all the doors when they get there in the morning. My first summer teaching, though, I walked in to my classroom one morning to find one of the students with his hand inside the scorpion cage. (He was the son of another teacher - which was why he was there so early in the morning.) I went straight to the headmaster and have had my own set of keys ever since. I still don't use individual locks on the cages, though.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
I have been blessed with the absence of children
If you were to have one or more you would change your opinion.......well most of the time.

My 15 year old knows better than to mess with the tarantulas. She didn't like them to begin with And that is to my benefit. Enclosures are secured but not locked.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, I too am blessed with the absence of miniature humans in my life.

I'm going to start using that in place of "I detest this species too much to want to add to it" lol.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I don't, personally, but I don't have other pets or kids that might try to get into them, either.

How about you?
No I don't lock mine , my Grandchildren know not to touch them as my daughter has has spiders and snakes at home !

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I don't lock mine, because my husband and I are "blessed with the absence of children," and we generally don't have people over.