Polistes wasp journal

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
In annual species you can find new queens in the fall at the end of the colony cycle or in early/mid spring when they come out of hibernation. Queens of tropical species will fly year round since they don't hibernate and start nests at any time of the year

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
nice! they look like my myrmecia nigrocincta's eggs. how do you tell the difference between a queen and a worker?

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Thanks! there aren't any physical differences between queens and workers but the largest females are usually queens and the smallest are almost always workers (it might be possible to tell from a photo). If you find an old nest with no brood left but a few adults still on it those are usually queens too. Just avoid any that have a hard time climbing plastic or with wings that look worn at the tips since those are likely old workers.

I've also seen a behavior difference between some of mine with the workers being more defensive than queens, even away from the nest

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
I thought about keeping Polistes sp. before but I never imagined it was possible, but I made an account on these forums just so I can follow this thread! This is absolutely fascinating, I might have to give it a go when Winter ends.

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
I thought about keeping Polistes sp. before but I never imagined it was possible, but I made an account on these forums just so I can follow this thread! This is absolutely fascinating, I might have to give it a go when Winter ends.
They're very easy to keep and a lot of fun to watch, good luck if you decide to try it! :)

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
so, the larvae still eat protein right?
They'll need protein for the larvae (I use mostly flies and wax moths) and queens will need it to produce more eggs. If I give this queen prey in the evening there will usually be 2 or 3 new eggs laid the next day

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
would keeping them be similar to keeping myrmecia? and what about their humidity levels?

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
would keeping them be similar to keeping myrmecia? and what about their humidity levels?
I don't give mine any extra humidity besides the water bowl since too high humidity/low ventilation can weaken the adult wasps and make the nest mold. And I'd think the main difference between these and myrmecia or similar ants is that polistes colonies only last about 5 months, and don't really get that big

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
One of the queens strengthening the pedicel of the growing nest today. Can't wait for the eggs to hatch!
20210204_184819~2.jpg

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
A few eggs hatched today, I'll have pics when they get bigger. For now here's one of the adults with a waxworm to feed the new larvae
20210204_230929~2.jpg

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
So I switched out the old cardboard today with a different kind that they seem to like way better, and they've been building on the nest non stop for 6 hours! Hopefully this colony ends up getting huge :)
20210213_031805~3.jpg 20210213_031800~2.jpg

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
I had to separate the smaller queen out a few days ago because she started destroying the brood (lost 2 of the pupae)! But the bigger dominant one has been taking care of the nest just fine on her own now, with no extra losses :)
20210225_114744~2.jpg

The other queen got accepted into another small nest today and I'll have to wait and see if it happens again
20210225_184953~2.jpg