pokies????

daniel s.

Arachnopeon
Ummm sorry if this has been asked before but I tried doing a search about it and nothing specific came up:?

I keep reading posts from some members that write they have pokies and post their pix about them...........but I'm confused............the spiders all look different from each other so I'm guessing it could be another genus like the grammostola rosea.

I'd like to ask those of you who own pokies what exactly is a pokie? Is the term poky perhaps a sub-species from another species unknown? They all have different patterns and I was thinking about getting a p. regalas but not sure if I'm ready for another genus. I just got my chilean rose and I'm still learning the basics but i'm just fascinated with the world of tarantulas. Who on earth knew there could be a blue spider out there!!!

sorry for my noobiness, any helpful replies are appreciated:eek:

thanx,
-Dan

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pokie are members of the Poecilotheria family. I believe they are mostly old word, very fast, and about as poisonous as you can get from a T. I don't mean to scare you but they should be treated with a little more " respect " than a rosie

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pokie are members of the Poecilotheria family. I believe they are mostly old word, very fast, and about as poisonous as you can get from a T. I don't mean to scare you but they should be treated with a little more " respect " than a rosie
Just to clarify, they are all old world.

daniel s.

Arachnopeon
Thanx bro I really appreciate it:)

So all pokies belong to a poecilotheria sub-species out there........but what about the p. regalas? Is it a pokie too..........how poisonous would it be for me if I get stung?

One more question please.......is this blue spider metallica a pokie too? I intend to work my way up to having this beautiful spider one day when I know more on how to care for it:)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87478&highlight=p.+metallica

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No, Poecilotheria is a not a sub-species but a genus (and my favorite one at that). :)

The P. regalis and the P. metallica are both species which belong to this genus and yes these are pokies too.

Getting stung by any pokie (regalis or otherwise) would not be fun. You could browse the sting/bite reports thread here on the forum for more info. ;)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanx bro I really appreciate it:)

So all pokies belong to a poecilotheria sub-species out there........but what about the p. regalas? Is it a pokie too..........how poisonous would it be for me if I get stung?

One more question please.......is this blue spider metallica a pokie too? I intend to work my way up to having this beautiful spider one day when I know more on how to care for it:)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87478&highlight=p.+metallica
The regalis and metallica are both " pokies " wich is short or slang for Poecilotheria

Regards, Mike

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
pokie = Poecilotheria

Poecilotheria is the genus...every tarantula species within that genus is a pokie.

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotherias are my favorite Ts, they are big, fast, beautiful and venomous. {D {D {D

daniel s.

Arachnopeon
Oh I get it now..........the term pokie is just a nickname for poecilotheria and not a sub-specie :eek: :eek:

Thank you all for clearing that up for me, you guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)