pokies

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
any pokies that are not really aggressive i don't deal with pokies alot but there kinda cool respond nicely please

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh man! im not really sure how to answer this,but ill give it a shot. in my personal exp. with poecilotheria, i can and will say STAY AWAY FROM ORNATAS. all three metallicas ive owned have been kinda nice, so have my mirandas , the pedersenis [i currently own three] their real skittish, same with my fasciatas and formosas ive had in the past, rufilatas scare the hell out of me i cant believe how fast they are for their size ornatas are the same

what are you loooking for ? oh i forgot i had three small regilis to , but not sure what to say about them , sorry,
if your want one that is always out but i wouldnt press my luck with id go with striata , my male and female pair were always out and entertaining fyi

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
oh man! im not really sure how to answer this,but ill give it a shot. in my personal exp. with poecilotheria, i can and will say STAY AWAY FROM ORNATAS. all three metallicas ive owned have been kinda nice, so have my mirandas , the pedersenis [i currently own three] their real skittish, same with my fasciatas and formosas ive had in the past, rufilatas scare the hell out of me i cant believe how fast they are for their size ornatas are the same

what are you loooking for ? oh i forgot i had three small regilis to , but not sure what to say about them , sorry,
if your want one that is always out but i wouldnt press my luck with id go with striata , my male and female pair were always out and entertaining fyi
i want somthing thats not gonna make me scream like a girl when i get biten

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Then you should get none if you already think you are going to get bitten. They aren't defensive in my opinion, they are just very secretive and would rather run than fight. All of my Pokies have never given a threat to me, but are still extremely fast.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bet there are alot of girls here that wouldnt scream like a girl if they got bitten by a pokie.. {D

On to the OP...

I dont really have a whole lot of experiance with pokies.. I only have 1 female regalis & 4 ornata slings.. So I am going to say what I have read.. My source is this website.. If you would like to confirm it.. The search function works great.. ;)

So.. To start.. The regalis is the one that has been told to be the best pokie to start with.. Also I have heard the P. metallica is a pretty good one to start with as well.. Just a tad more...pricey...

They all are fast.. They all have potental to have a painful bite.. Depending on how your body take to their venom.. It is just like the U-hairs on a new world tarantula.. Some itch from them.. Some dont.. So.. Again.. Its all in how you body takes to it..

There is a chance you never see it.. No matter which one you get.. Every tarantula is different.. Some people have pokies they always see.. Some people have one they never see.. Some have one they see every once in a while.. So that is just a luck of the draw there..

Did I miss anything? :D

Just to note again.. I have only had 3 regalis.. One died due to chemical exposure.. One was sold recently.. I still have one female.. I recently added 4 P. ornata slings to my collection... So.. I am only saying what I have read here on the forum & what little experiance I do have.. :)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also I have heard the P. metallica is a pretty good one to start with as well.. Just a tad more...pricey...
Only a tad. :D

On that note, my P. metallica is way faster and more flighty than all my other pokies, then my miranda.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 16 p metallica, and evereone of them are skittish, and loves to hide, but they are not defensive, same goes with subfusca. P miranda are quite calm also, and they dont hide alot, so maybe that would be your best bet. But they are pricey T´s.

P rufilata and p ornata are in my book pretty defensive if disturbed(all mine are), but leave them be, and they also are a good choice.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people say the metallica is the most docile pokie . Not docile , but they are more tame and will let you handle them :D

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
Alright, I'm new to the hobby, and started with a P. Ornata. Personally, they don't at all seem like monsters, like everyone thinks them to be. I started with one because I love how beautiful they are, they're magnificent, not at all beasts. If you are going to have one, it doesn't matter which one, you have to be mature, and responsible enough to deal with them. They are nervous, but at the same time, very relaxed. If you get bit, it was your fault. Deal with it. You're not going to die. And you'll learn from your mistakes. I have both a P. Ornata, and a P. Formosa, and will definitely add on to my collection. You just have to be careful, don't try to handle them. If you do, and get bit, you have no one to blame but yourself. Just take it slow, and everything will be fine, i haven't had a whole lot of trouble from mine, except maybe when rehousing them, they don't want to leave their original homes lol. Just take precautions to avoid escapes, or to recapture them, without harming them, or yourself incase they do. They would rather run, however if you do irritate them, they make be defensive. When I first got my Ornata, I tried rehousing him using a paint brush to coax him into his new enclosure, and he gave me the threat posture. Being given a warning, I decided to wait until later, and what do you know, he was fine, and it went perfect, he just wasn't in a good mood the first time round.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright, I'm new to the hobby, and started with a P. Ornata. Personally, they don't at all seem like monsters, like everyone thinks them to be. I started with one because I love how beautiful they are, they're magnificent, not at all beasts. If you are going to have one, it doesn't matter which one, you have to be mature, and responsible enough to deal with them. They are nervous, but at the same time, very relaxed. If you get bit, it was your fault. Deal with it. You're not going to die. And you'll learn from your mistakes. I have both a P. Ornata, and a P. Formosa, and will definitely add on to my collection. You just have to be careful, don't try to handle them. If you do, and get bit, you have no one to blame but yourself. Just take it slow, and everything will be fine, i haven't had a whole lot of trouble from mine, except maybe when rehousing them, they don't want to leave their original homes lol. Just take precautions to avoid escapes, or to recapture them, without harming them, or yourself incase they do.
What size is your ornata?

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im not really into holding pokies, thats why i have a curlyhair , i try to treat my pokies like fish tanks , most people dont handle them ? i think? not real sure on that one . ill use the search function that everyone seems to like to talk about, hehehe.......... pokies are just way to fast and skiddish and im truly inlove with their markings,aboreals are just my favorites , dont get me wrong avics. are cool if you can tell them apart, but i think pokies are the kings of aboreals , everyone who comes over to see my animals and sees my ornata setup is just like wow thats cool as hell , whats in their,i mean if they saw some of robc's cages they would be like wow!
and you say its the luck of the draw on weather you see your pokie or not,i think its about how you have the cage setup and how often you disturb them to if they feal safe in their enviroment you will see them , you go digging in their cage looking for them all the time and you wont see them out in the open much

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some people say the metallica is the most docile pokie . Not docile , but they are more tame and will let you handle them :D
I have handled them on occasion betwen substrate change and such. No problem, and mor prediCtable than a g rosea.

im not really into holding pokies, thats why i have a curlyhair , i try to treat my pokies like fish tanks , most people dont handle them ? i think? not real sure on that one . ill use the search function that everyone seems to like to talk about, hehehe.......... pokies are just way to fast and skiddish and im truly inlove with their markings,aboreals are just my favorites , dont get me wrong avics. are cool if you can tell them apart, but i think pokies are the kings of aboreals , everyone who comes over to see my animals and sees my ornata setup is just like wow thats cool as hell , whats in their,i mean if they saw some of robc's cages they would be like wow!
and you say its the luck of the draw on weather you see your pokie or not,i think its about how you have the cage setup and how often you disturb them to if they feal safe in their enviroment you will see them , you go digging in their cage looking for them all the time and you wont see them out in the open much
You do see pokie out all day long with a good setup. I have many pokies and allways see some of them out. Even metallica and subfusca;)

chebe2

Arachnopeon
The reality is that If your interested in a specific T you should just get it and learn to live with its attitude or lack there of. Since you'll likely starting w/ a sling you'll have pleanty of time to figure out how not to get bit! I think you'd be ok w/ any pokie except for maybe ornata. Just remember to treat it w/ respect and you'll be fine.

chebe2

Arachnopeon
Haven't you already gotten reamed for opening your mouth about things you know nothing about "prices"? According to your profile you dont even have a metallica so how would you know?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haven't you already gotten reamed for opening your mouth about things you know nothing about "prices"? According to your profile you dont even have a metallica so how would you know?
In his defense, he did suggest that this is second hand info instead of phrasing it like first hand info.

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Is there a thread in which this fella isn't the target? don't know why do you pick on him....he is only sharing his opinion..I'm really starting to doubt, whos 12 years old here....you could help him and try explaining to him, and not give him a hard time, because he has not so much experience than you...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there a thread in which this fella isn't the target? don't know why do you pick on him....he is only sharing his opinion..I'm really starting to doubt, whos 12 years old here....you could help him and try explaining to him, and not give him a hard time, because he has not so much experience than you...
Its been done and did not work at ALL.................As far as the topic,my regalis were pretty calm,as well as our rufilata's.