Pokies, speed and venom potency

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently almost purchased a P. regalis at a reptile expo, but I decided to wait on it for a bit. So I got to wondering just how fast Pokies actually are, and how potent their venom actually is. I have heard their movement being described as teleporting but does anyone know if someone has ever tried to clock just how fast they can go? And has any research been done on their venom potency? Or is there just "stories" (and of course the AB bite reports)? I know that there agression is overexaggerated and that they are more likely to run than attack (like pretty much all T's), so is some of this other stuff a little overexaggerated as well?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, they are actually very fast. That is why it is known as teleporting. When they want to be they can run so fast you can't see them till they stop. I have had a few experiences with that(I need to get some pokies again). Most of the time it isn't that fast though. Don't worry about the speed, just as long as you never take them out for handling you will be fine. What other Ts do you have? Their bite is worse then most of the other Ts, but not life threatening.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is. I waited a bit before getting pokies, but they are not to be feared if you are careful. Mine are anything but aggressive, yet I never stick my hand in the enclosure. I use steel rods thru air holes to move things, and use a tube to fill water dish. I've seen people playing with theirs and experience not a single fit of aggression (but nervosity, yes) but I prefer not to try:embarrassed:

I f you are a beginner, the wise thing to do would be to start with someting smooth and slow. However, you still can get one as a sling, get use to it as it becomes more powerful, and simply block any possibility of it coming into contact with you when they get past 3". You can then use the air holes and a guitar string (with tip filed, you don't wanna stab the poor thing ) to tickle it a bit and get acquainted with thier speed and else! Seeing one litteraly fly in midair to catch a moth will wipe out any trace of misplaced bravery.

Believe me, they are fast. Begginers are often surprised by their speed.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, they are actually very fast. That is why it is known as teleporting. When they want to be they can run so fast you can't see them till they stop. I have had a few experiences with that(I need to get some pokies again). Most of the time it isn't that fast though. Don't worry about the speed, just as long as you never take them out for handling you will be fine. What other Ts do you have? Their bite is worse then most of the other Ts, but not life threatening.
Yeah, I figured the speed thing probably wasn't too exaggerated if at all because I have seen videos of other fast T's (my favorite was one of a P. murinus actually becoming airborn as it lauched straight up the side of a tank). But I am not one to handle any of my T's, so maybe it wont be such a problem, although I would kinda be concerned with a sling taking off since it's hard to give them enough moving room in a small enclosure. The other T's I have are an A. avic, B. emilia, and a L. parahybana. So it would be my first OW/fast aboreal. I was thinking about maybe getting a P. irminia first, to get used to a faster aboreal T, but then I read some stuff about them actually having way more of an attitude than the pokies.

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
obt's are aggressive as hell my girlfriend was transfering one and it leaped off the conuter trying to attack her and chased her out of the bathroom.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I figured the speed thing probably wasn't too exaggerated if at all because I have seen videos of other fast T's (my favorite was one of a P. murinus actually becoming airborn as it lauched straight up the side of a tank). But I am not one to handle any of my T's, so maybe it wont be such a problem, although I would kinda be concerned with a sling taking off since it's hard to give them enough moving room in a small enclosure. The other T's I have are an A. avic, B. emilia, and a L. parahybana. So it would be my first OW/fast aboreal. I was thinking about maybe getting a P. irminia first, to get used to a faster aboreal T, but then I read some stuff about them actually having way more of an attitude than the pokies.
Hm, I personally think you can handle a pokie. You should go for it. Just be cautious around it and have a catching container around everytime you open the cage. Once it has settled in you won't have to worry about it running out. Be sure to keep us updated with what you get and/or when you get it.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've changed my mindset about pokies in the past long while or so. If you're mature enough to post a question before handling it, and you're prepared for the speed...you're ready for a pokie.

Starting out with a sling is what I reccomend for the first time pokie keeper.

The reports of pokies being agressive have been greatly over-exaggerated. I've never even gotten a threat display from any of my pokies. Just don't stick your fingers in their tube web and you'll be OK. Mine always retreat to their tube web when I let them know I'm coming. I also do maintenance on their cages with my bare hands.

Of course, I'm the guy who does all of his spider maintenance with his bare hands...even while my P. murinis is throwing a temper tantrum three inches away from my hand.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This past weekend, I went to the reptile expo near me, they had a P. metallica that was about 5 inches big...I asked the guy the same questions u are asking us, and he demonstrated to me that this T is faster than fast but not as agressive as we may have heard. Yes they bite and yes they are most painful bites, but to get bit means u are doing something u shouldnt be doing, lol...this guy put his hand right on the pokie and was tickling his front legs with his fingers and the pokie just moved away. He did it again and the pokie gave him a threat display. He did it again and the pokie showed some teeth, lol......it took a lot to upset this T and it seemed like the T was giving him ample warning signs before they actually attack u....3 to be exact, lol.
I cant have any here, but man, if I could....watch out! I would have atleast one of each species,;)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've changed my mindset about pokies in the past long while or so. If you're mature enough to post a question before handling it, and you're prepared for the speed...you're ready for a pokie.

The reports of pokies being agressive have been greatly over-exaggerated. I've never even gotten a threat display from any of my pokies. Just don't stick your fingers in their tube web and you'll be OK. Mine always retreat to their tube web when I let them know I'm coming. I also do maintenance on their cages with my bare hands.

Of course, I'm the guy who does all of his spider maintenance with his bare hands...even while my P. murinis is throwing a temper tantrum three inches away from my hand.
what a good idea and a good way to end up on the bite reports :? :? keep us posted on it and for us mortals DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME :eek: :D {D---phil

Silence1984

Arachnopeon
Just curious Kristal, how much was that 5'' P. metallica at the expo? Im guessing a fortune =(

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

In my opinion pokies are not aggresive they are skittish and yes they are real fast and i think the most venimous t.
i have 5 pokies and the only deffensive one is my fasciata, but she is not aggresive.
if i was you I would start with a sling, by the time he reach adult size(about a year) you will be more experience.
Use forceps when doing maintenance and do not handle it,you will have no problems.

Take care and good luck with the pokie.

Alain

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Bare hands:? :embarrassed:

Alain

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bare hands:? :embarrassed:

Alain
i do most of my work barehanded and have never been bit by a tarantula. well, maybe one time by a baby suntiger, but i wasn't really sure.

if some random newbie goes pawing around in his OW's cage he is probably going to be tagged sooner rather than later... but if you know what the hell you are doing than you are going to be tagged later rather than sooner or possibly even never.

is it more risky to barehand maintain? obviously. is it so risky as to totally lack merit... not in my and others opinion.

i'd link to pics of me playing with my pokies but i can't see photobucket or youtube at work.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i do most of my work barehanded and have never been bit by a tarantula. well, maybe one time by a baby suntiger, but i wasn't really sure.

if some random newbie goes pawing around in his OW's cage he is probably going to be tagged sooner rather than later... but if you know what the hell you are doing than you are going to be tagged later rather than sooner or possibly even never.

is it more risky to barehand maintain? obviously. is it so risky as to totally lack merit... not in my and others opinion.

i'd link to pics of me playing with my pokies but i can't see photobucket or youtube at work.
I don't consider myself a newb and I always use forceps.
The other day i was putting back the water dish in my lividum and from nowhere, she came out of her burrow at lightning speed and junp on the water dish.
My forceps save me from a bit for sure.
Would you stick your hand in a crazy lividum enclosure?
and why not use forceps?

Alain

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This past weekend, I went to the reptile expo near me, they had a P. metallica that was about 5 inches big...I asked the guy the same questions u are asking us, and he demonstrated to me that this T is faster than fast but not as agressive as we may have heard. Yes they bite and yes they are most painful bites, but to get bit means u are doing something u shouldnt be doing, lol...this guy put his hand right on the pokie and was tickling his front legs with his fingers and the pokie just moved away. He did it again and the pokie gave him a threat display. He did it again and the pokie showed some teeth, lol......it took a lot to upset this T and it seemed like the T was giving him ample warning signs before they actually attack u....3 to be exact, lol.
I cant have any here, but man, if I could....watch out! I would have atleast one of each species,;)
pretty careless imo to stick your fingers in front of a poec like that.im sure if he was bit by an adult hed never consider doing that again!!
like everyones said Poecilotheria is fast and very neverous skittish.best to observe them tru the glass ;]
due to there very potent venom i dont think anyone should just be able to buy one without some experience.give them the respect they deserve and shouldnt have any problems

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. ornata's can have a bad attitude, at least the 18 or so of mine throw a little fit every time I get near them.

For the most part they just all hide when they think I opening the cage. Tranfers are fun, they are very, very, very fast. Yes they can teleport, if you do not pay attention.

In saying that I have never felt that they where ever going to bite me. Or super defensive in any matter. Usually if you muck with them too much they just huddle.

They are very fast.
thedarkfinder

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course like many have said it all depends on the individual spider.... I have had 2 p. murinus and the first would give me a display if I were to walk by its enclosure. I have never seen a display from the second. It just retreats to its burrow. I have seen a cricket jump down its hole and it will get spooked and do a lap around its enclosure and then go kill the cricket, however, it never tries to climb up or out which also seems to be unusual from what I have read....

doctoracula

Arachnopeon
I agree. My Pokies are fairly docile, yes.. fast and twitchy, but never a threat display. My most aggressive T's are the terrestials.. a N. chromatis a P. antinous, they are both edgy and the antinous is a ready kicker.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't know about venom potency first hand (thankfully), but I can tell you when people say they can literally teleport, they are not joking! These things can bolt from one end of the enclosure to the next int he blink of an eye. My advice is if you can get over the shock of the speed, and can avoid being bitten (which really isn't that hard), then you should be fine. Just don't try to hold them and always use tongs when feeding or removing remains or anything.

Also maybe mine's just cranky, but she has given me threat poses many times.