Pokies, speed and venom potency

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would have ended, but you didn´t let go. You just can´t handle getting your feathers ruffled :)
Holy god you're an annoying human.. This isn't second grade. If you're not fit to sit at the adults' table and discuss things without a condescending I-am-the-authority-on-the-universe (BUT ESPECIALLY THE MOST SUBTLE NUANCES OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE) attitude, maybe you should move along. It's not only the "misinformation" you speak of.. wait, wait, of which you too are responsible.. that makes this hobby unappealing to some, it's also the people like you who try to shove your "omniscience" down people's throats until you're up to your elbow. And buddy, you got bitten by a calceatum. That doesn't make you THE AUTHORITY on them, it makes you a guy who did something WRONG and got BITTEN. Finally, before you go defending yourself as the mild mannered beacon of truth wronged by the shortcomings of inflectionless text in your posts, go back and reread HOW you typed things. Your snippy intentions were more than clear. Time to grow up a little..

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
I wasn't trying to be glib. As defensive as certain species are, I'm bigger and stronger, and I win that fight. What you're suggesting doesn't make evolutionary sense to me. Gross exaggeration isn't exactly uncommon when it comes to widespread fears. Perhaps a fruit picker disturbed a S. calceatum in its hide and fled at the sight of a large, fast tarantula emerging in full threat display. Just because that person climbed down from the tree in hurry doesn't mean the tarantula chased them.

Anecdotal stories aren't good enough to change my opinion on the matter. If you want to convince me otherwise, I'm always receptive to credible sources and conversation.
I've heard that somewhere before: "Anecdotal stories aren't good enough to change my opinion" "credible sources and conversation"

Sounds reasonable to me. Good luck though.

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

I was referring to their 'spirited' defensive nature to hasten an intruder's exit from their territory. That it's nothing to be taken lightly. I didn't mean to imply that they follow intruders down trees and run after them. Spiders don't have the eyesight to be able to do that, nor the desire.
"Tough guy, but fruit pickers in West Africa get chased out of trees and palms, falling and jumping to the ground by Stromatpelma going on the offensive and giving them multiple bites"

That's what it sounds like you said earlier?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
For what it is worth... I watched some T hunters a few years ago rounding them up. The T's were all run and hide. Then back at the hilltribe village where they kept a large number of them I noticed some of the T's acted a lot like dogs. Cowardly but territorial. They would run out and give the threat posture. The people were cautious and flick dirt in the T's direction when this happened and the T would back off. Apparently under the right circumstances their attitudes will change from flight to aggression, at least in the species local to around here..

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy god you're an annoying human.. This isn't second grade. If you're not fit to sit at the adults' table and discuss things without a condescending I-am-the-authority-on-the-universe (BUT ESPECIALLY THE MOST SUBTLE NUANCES OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE) attitude, maybe you should move along. It's not only the "misinformation" you speak of.. wait, wait, of which you too are responsible.. that makes this hobby unappealing to some, it's also the people like you who try to shove your "omniscience" down people's throats until you're up to your elbow. And buddy, you got bitten by a calceatum. That doesn't make you THE AUTHORITY on them, it makes you a guy who did something WRONG and got BITTEN. Finally, before you go defending yourself as the mild mannered beacon of truth wronged by the shortcomings of inflectionless text in your posts, go back and reread HOW you typed things. Your snippy intentions were more than clear. Time to grow up a little..
Yep.. thats what I'm here for... :D

You didn't prove anything here... ... and with a name like McGuiverstein...... Pff..PFFFF!!... I thought you'd be a little more creative than that ;)

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep.. thats what I'm here for... :D

You didn't prove anything here... ... and with a name like McGuiverstein...... Pff..PFFFF!!... I thought you'd be a little more creative than that ;)
If you read what I said without it having any effect then you're cleary more dense than I initially thought. I'm really starting to get an idea of how you managed to get bitten by your spider.

And guy, you're name is josh_r..? Somehow I'm not seeing how you're really in a position to criticize the creativity of my name (As if it wasn't just a feeble attempt to piss me off because you couldn't think of an actual response that has any level of maturity past "nuh uh you dummy, neener neener").

Since you're clearly not fit to have an actual discussion, I'm done here. You go on living vicariously through a condescending online persona, intentionally irritating people behind the safety of your computer. Hopefully sometime in the next thirty years you'll manage to wander out into the light of the outside world beyond your mom's basement and find a girl. Maybe it'll help relieve some of that pent up angst. Dammit, I just sank to your level a little. My bad.

jthorntonwillis

Arachnosquire
Re: seller@expo

This past weekend, I went to the reptile expo near me, they had a P. metallica that was about 5 inches big...I asked the guy the same questions u are asking us, and he demonstrated to me that this T is faster than fast but not as agressive as we may have heard. Yes they bite and yes they are most painful bites, but to get bit means u are doing something u shouldnt be doing, lol...this guy put his hand right on the pokie and was tickling his front legs with his fingers and the pokie just moved away. He did it again and the pokie gave him a threat display. He did it again and the pokie showed some teeth, lol......it took a lot to upset this T and it seemed like the T was giving him ample warning signs before they actually attack u....3 to be exact, lol.
I cant have any here, but man, if I could....watch out! I would have atleast one of each
species,;)

I would never buy anything from someone who deliberately antagonizes his spiders! What an idiot!:mad:

Last edited:

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Breaking news: internet argument still raging after a week. Was Godwin's Rule followed? Details at 11.
Trying to think of a witty way to bring Nazis into a discussion about spiders but I can't X). All that comes to mind is a threat pose meme, but I don't have any pictures of my own to make one..

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Zugriff verweigert.
It was just a feeble attempt at humor man, I didn't mean to offend. Godwin's Rule is about how every stupid internet argument eventually deteriorates into some pointless discussion about Nazis so I was just going along with the joke