Pokies in Kritter Keepers?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few of my Pokie containers have slight mold in them, not much but it is noticeable. With that said I was wondering if it is okay for sling to juvie Pokies be housed in Kritter Keepers, with a little bit of substrate and pvc pipe going up for them to hide in? It would like a vertical setup in a horizontal KK. I think that would be alright, any thing I should think about?

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
Pvc pipe actually sounds like a really good idea, I was thinking maybe a toilet paper/paper towel roll, I know it doesn't look good, but it works haha, I'll have to find some pvc:p
I've seen pokies in critter keeps before, usually turned on their side or modified, but it would probably be fine

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't use rolls made of paper, they can mold. PVC sounds ok to me, i'd just keep an eye on it & the spider, make sure that you don't allow it to get big enough so that piece could hender a molt if it should do it inside.

I found the perfect arboreal sling/juvie arboreal containers last weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Pasta-Express-Pack-Cylinder-Guaranteed/dp/B000TZF416

The twist part in the middle of the lid comes out & the lids are vented.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rehoused one of my girls in a KK last week, put in a piece of PVC pipe diagonal across the cage. She webbed it up in no time, it should work for you.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've done the PVC like this with several cubes and plastic totes. I've also taken solo cups and cut the bottom out and cut it in half and that has worked too. It works great and the arboreal seem to love it. I've put S Cal, P Irminia, P Regalis, A Avic, LP's, Haplos, Pterinochilus species in set ups like that and the work great on them. I didn't think they would use it but they do.
With the cubes I've even made them into L shapes by cutting PVC in half and notching an end against the glass and running it both horizontal and vertical. Just don't hot glue it. It never comes up after that. :wall:

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've used PVC elbows in the past to construct burrows/hides for tarantulas in the past and have never had any problem with them so I don't see why it would be any different with a pokie.

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah , there is nothing wrong with kk on end setup for aboreal, i do it , and i got a slug of empty kk from wallmart id like to move to , i usually use scotch tape and tape up about three inches up from the bottom so the bedding doesnt fall out and make a mess , if you do this make sure you tape both sides of the tape so their isnt any sticky sides it can crawl on, you dont want your pokie to stick to the tape!!!!!!!!!!!!