Pokie Rufilata MM HELP

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I aquired a huge male p.rufilta hes atleast 9 inches. How do I know if hes MM I mean he must be at this size I need a little help with how long he might live as a male this size? How do I check if he is matured in fact? Im new to pokies and this guy was $25 so I grabbed him now how long will he live?

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Do his pedipalps look kinda like t boxing gloves or can you see hooks? He is in fact matured at that size without a doubt. But with out knowing his maturity date. It is going to be pretty hard to tell how long he's going to live.25$ is a steal for a Rufi for that matter. And if you want to breed let me know. But back on subject do you have a maturity date. Maybe pictures?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Pokies have no hooks.
Look for bulbs on the pedipalps instead.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive never had one mature to that size before, and Ive had/have about 15-20. Are you sure its not ornata? can you get a pic of underneath the legs.
On maturity males tend to lose the high contrasting bands on their legs and generally look a lot duller.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
See I wasn't sure about the hooks that's why I said or "boxing gloves" lol. But now I know never to look for hooks thanks mate. But wait you've never had a Rufi mature at 9"!? Are you sure mate?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the "average" size of a P.rufilata MM?????

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
By what I've seen 6-7 they are sexually mature but I.guess I'm extremely miss lead lol

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I sold a fresh MM Rufilata a few months ago that was 6.5"or so, Most MM Ornata I've had over the years are of similar size. MM's usually dont live past 9months from their ultimate molt date.

I think some pics of the T in question would be useful.

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its def a rufi I know the difference and ill try to get a pic up he's huge keep in mind that the size a T grows depends on how they were raised in part due to temp and feeding. Ive never seen a MM before but yes he has the boxing gloves so he must be MM. Ill gladly mate him if any1 has a female message me.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it possible to get a ruler against the tank.
Its not that I doubt you, but at that size it would make a good reference.
He certainly looks bigger than the males I've come across. The largest rufilata female Ive had was 9". Unfortunately she died last year but I currently have a large gravid female.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I sold a fresh MM Rufilata a few months ago that was 6.5"or so, Most MM Ornata I've had over the years are of similar size. MM's usually dont live past 9months from their ultimate molt date.

I think some pics of the T in question would be useful.
My MM is 8" or 8.5". :)

Edit: I lied, he's only like 7 3/4". Still a big boy.

Last edited:

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
How did that guy up there's over 20 rufis not mature by 9" that makes no sense now.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you'll find a male maturing at such a size is uncommon, at least to my knowedge and if you consider that many adult females are 6"+ it would be rather odd that the males mature larger than the female. The males mature at around 6" in my experience but nature has its own gameplan and Ive noticed with communities that there has been stunted & accelerated growth within a group. In pers coms with both Andrew Smith and Peter Kirk their experience followed the same pattern.

I'd still like to see a ruler against that male, its not often you see a female reach that size!

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I don't have much hands on experience with rufilata or ornata, but I always see people saying that they are about tied as the largest sized pokie. So is ornata substantially larger?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have much hands on experience with rufilata or ornata, but I always see people saying that they are about tied as the largest sized pokie. So is ornata substantially larger?
No, rufilata is the largest growing arboreal sp.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
No, rufilata is the largest growing arboreal sp.
Oh ok, thanks. Thats what I thought- that they were about even in size, with rufis being able to grow slightly larger. I was just thrown off by poxicators post on the previous page, but I think I misinterpereted what he was actually trying to say.
Do you happen to know how big the largest recorded specimen of both species is? And they typically both average about 8-9in, correct?

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Ornata is the largest arboreal species..... Google it

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

P.ornata
**The most large representative of the genus, reaches 7-8 cm of body length and 20-23 cm in legspan!
One of the most widespread representative of genus in hobby.
Is it regularly bred in captivity

P.rufilata
**Together with P. ornata are most large species of genus.
Reaches 7-8 cm in body length and 19-21 cm in legspan.
Really one of the most beautifully colored species

Just to back my statement