pokie question

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi every1! just joined this site yesterday as my collection of t's is ever expanding. just a quick question about ornamentals, iv always loved them, right from when i was little, so i bought several: p. regalis sling, p. striata adult male and a p. formosa adult female. now, iv had the male p. striata for about 2 months or so and only just yesterday bought the female p. formosa. last night me and my fiance were awoken by the male drumming on the side of his tank like michael flatley, i am aware of why he is doing that, because he knows there is a female nearby BUT they are a different species :? now under no circumstances am i going to try and mate them, but it does make me wonder what would happen if i did put him in there, is it possible to xbreed certain pokies?? or any t for that matter?? mine are still staying in their own vivs whatever the answer is but im just interested

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Uh oh? :? Sounds to me like you're already a bit too interested in finding out! {D

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
Cross breeding is possible, but very, very controversial, and very much frowned upon, there is a magnitude of threads on the subject, and in my opinion, hybrids are a danger to the genetic sanctity of the pure bred cb t's...

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i wouldnt fancy finding out its not possible the hard way, i.e, legs, blood and abdomens showering the substrate, as i really care about them and they were quite pricey after all. It just came as quite a surprise to hear him doing that. By the way 'he' was sold to me as an adult female by a pet shop, he was hiding behind his cork bark and no one dare coax him out, but as soon as i got him home, he emerged and instantly i saw his palpal bulbs and lack of colour. They still seem unaware of how to sex an adult male by eye, as i saw many others there and they were astounded that i could sex the ones that had already gone through the mature molt

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
They still seem unaware of how to sex an adult male by eye, as i saw many others there and they were astounded that i could sex the ones that had already gone through the mature molt
Yeah, that seems to be the norm in most lp's, they sell t's but have no idea what they are selling, and they just guess as to what gender the t is, you would think that a pet shop would like to be reputable, maybe get someone to sex the t's correctly...:?

But alas, that is only a dream. {D

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
yeah, that seems to be the norm in most lp's, they sell t's but have no idea what they are selling, and they just guess as to what gender the t is, you would think that a pet shop would like to be reputable, maybe get someone to sex the t's correctly...:?

But alas, that is only a dream. {d
i agree with this, especially in our area, there is one lps that actually knows what they are selling but even with that there aren't any people there that can answer a q with a good answer.

Wacko

Arachnopeon
I've had several Poecilotheria's drumming to each other, even if not the same species. One of my P.striata females was always reacting to the P.pederseni male in the enclosure next to hers, and my P.formosa female responded to drumming of a P.miranda on the other side of the room.
But as said, don't try to cross breed. No arguments needed, just don't.

k2power

Arachnoknight
That is interesting that their sense of smell is that good. I would have never expected that.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a mm rufilata that was "drumming up" a mf regalis. I sent him off to a friend who has a mf rufilata. Then my mm ornata (sold as a striata) started drumming up the same mf regalis. What a little minx. By the way, the mm ornata has totally ignored the female ornata in the enclosure next to him. Go figure.

Last edited:

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes, i had a mm poecilotheria rufilata that drummed right next to my poecilotheria ornata female , whats cool is she drummed back

now please, for the sake of this hobby please dont crossbreed and create hybrids , thats cool with snakes, boas, and pythons , but sucks for those too , with all the hybrids out there , its hard to find a "pure" red tail boa , we dont want that in this hobby.

im glad you asked this and hope you dont get bashed, these kinda questions ussually tick the elder t hobbyist off!

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't worry about me crossbreeding. I sent my rufilata out to a friend with another rufilata. I have a male and female ornata. I am thinking about putting them together when i acquire a big enough enclosure. My only real concern is that the female is a little small. She has a 12 cm legspan. The male's legspan is up around 15 or 16 cm. As for the regalis, I'm thinking of acquiring some regalis slings and powerfeeding them, and then when they've gotten big enough i'll set them up communally with the female and see what happens.

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is stupid but can you tell me how many inches that is ?not sure on the cm stuff , alone with kilos and all that stuff .lol

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My ornata female's legspan is roughly 5 inches
My ornata male's legspan is roughly 6 inches and he's quite mature.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My ornata female's legspan is roughly 5 inches
My ornata male's legspan is roughly 6 inches and he's quite mature.
Ahhh....a baby still. :)
That's what I was going to say! One of my three big girls is an easy 8 to 8.5 inches. I have a MM that needs to be given it's own social security number!

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dont know if your gonna get to breed that girl with that guy? your gonna have to power feed her! i think shes atleast 2 molts away? maybe?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh Lord I cannot even escape controversy within a pokie question lol

Don't crossbreed T's. Do not even whisper the idea. Overly irate hobbyists will hunt you down like Frankenstein lol

Species diversity within the hobby is awesome, and people do not see the need into crossing them and making poor genetic muts within the hobby, trying to pass them on as other species, or spreading around bad genetics in general. There has even been debate with breeding some species like A. avicularia over not knowing exactly what species are which within the genus. Make sure you breed proper species together and don't try to guess if you do not know for certain what you have.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
he is making a sperm web as im writing this lol poor guy! Might get him a proper a.f striata soon cus he sure ait goin in with my formosa! :embarrassed:

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
my horny p striata!

heres the guy!! 'hey pretty lady! how much i pay for good time?' (he said that in a mexican accent) lol! {D

Last edited: