Pokie Ornata

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello All,

Just a quick question. I got a P. Ornata sling, 1 1/2 in or so, about 2 weeks ago. The little bugger ate 3 little crix in 4 days and hasn't taken anything since. Looks OK, could the little thing just be full? Can't tell if molt is impending or not when they are that small can you?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like the sling has eaten enough and is probably going off food to molt soon. Small slings are enthusiastic eaters, only stopping to molt. Generally, feeding twice a week is enough for a sling.

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would agree also that your juvi Ornata is full. Lay off the crix for at least a week and then try. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, I have an ornata that is a little bigger than yours. I only feed it once a week, but the only time it turns down food is when it is getting ready to moult.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like the sling has eaten enough and is probably going off food to molt soon. Small slings are enthusiastic eaters, only stopping to molt. Generally, feeding twice a week is enough for a sling.
i've never been able to get a sling to accept food twice in a week. usually after one good sized cricket, it'll fatten up for 2 weeks before eating again.

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you can not over feed a pokie sling they will only eat there fill then go in to moult and it starts all over again , pokie slings if fed alot they can moult every 3 weeks then once a month till sub adult they reach sexual maturaty around 10 months old

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both of my Ornata's, a 3" and 1", eat like no tomorrow.

My 3" was eating a roach a day for a week before I decided to give him a break, even though he doesn't seem bulky.

The 1" though has eaten several crickets, but looks quite full, so I've held off on feeding "her" (hopefully) for a couple days.