Pokie bites

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
post your experiences on pokie bites... first aid... what were the effects of the bites.. i wanna learn everything b4 i get into this genus

ty

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is a bite report section on this site that will give you all the info you need.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would like to take this chance and hopefully start a discussion on what I've noticed today with my P. regalis. I was trying to get her out of her cage. I noticed though that it took awhile for her to throw a threat pose (I wasn't getting her to do it on purpose). But after that she would either retreat without striking and run. Then she would throw another threat pose and then retreat when I pressed on. The third threat pose she did, she struck my utensil but she did not have her fangs drawn.

If I remember correctly I remember other people mentioning pokies slapping (not true striking). If it were my hand I would have felt her legs. Obviously a very good warning besides the yellow striping on the under legs. But each time she struck she did not draw out her fangs. Whereas my P. murinus right away strikes with fangs ready to go. What are other peoples experiences with pokies actually slapping instead of full blown strikes with fangs drawn? To me it seems they would rather scare off attackers and save their venom for prey?

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I'm going to take this time to ask a really stupid question, I'm not big in the slang of T keepers... what the hell is a pokie?

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pokie is just the nickname for the genus Poecilotheria. :)