Pokey Sling question...PLEASE HELP !!!

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I have about a 1" Poecilotheria Fasciata and it hasn't been eating for awhile so I figured it was going to molt, not sure though. Maybe its not hungry. Now, I don't even see it in my enclosure. Hidden away I guess. I have a couple of questions:
1. If I can't see my pokey in the enclosure should I even drop in a cricket?
2. Do pokeys hide or dig a ditch when they molt because I have no idea where it is?

And...
No, I did not lose it, as far as I know the pokey is in the enclosure. I just have no idea WHERE IT'S HIDING!

Thanks in advance.

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A couple of questions first...

1. What type of enclosure do you have your 1" Pokie in?
2. How long is "awhile"?

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a pokie sling and it hides even though it isn't going to molt. It is natural behaviour to dig itsself in when they are smal. You should put a small cricket in and when it isn'nt eaten after e few hours take it out again.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. Pokies aren't generally shy about eating, so put a cricket in there and if it is hungry it will eat in shortly, if not remove it after a couple of hours. My two never turn down a meal unless they are getting ready to moult. Don't dig it out, you might hurt it without meaning to.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1. If I can't see my pokey in the enclosure should I even drop in a cricket?
Like mina and harmorelf say.

2. Do pokeys hide or dig a ditch when they molt because I have no idea where it is?
I have the same experience as mina and harmoelf. Young Pokies tend to dig scrapes/hides. Mine have often molted outside their scrap/hide though.

Iggy

Arachnopeon
My P. fasciata (1.5") dug a burrow and splits its time between being above and below ground. At first though it hid for a long time and once it was used to the surroundings came out of hiding. As far as not eating, that has not been an issue. I guess what I am trying to say is try just letting it be for a few days with as little disturbance as possible and see what happens. Then try to offer it a food item and it should eat readily. Just make sure it has a source of water. Cheers, Iggy