Poke Safety

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone knew of good ways to keep a Pokey when you have kids.
Have you seen good housing arrangements that are tamper proof yet accessible, etc? I keep 2 P. murinus' but they are up high and I'm not as worried about them as I would be a Pokey. (Venom wise)
Thanks in advance...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I think 'tamper proof' is pretty much impossible, if you want to be able to get into the cage at all. Short of gluing all the lids shut, or adding locks to everything.. You're better off not bothering. Most kids will find a way to get into things if they want to bad enough. Plastic is always breakable, and glass moreso. I think the most important thing here is education about the dangers. That said, my pokes are on the top shelf of the bookcase, in round kritter keepers (I forget the brand name). I have one spiderling in a rather elaborate cage I made just to prevent it from biting me, but after handling it a few times.. I feel rather silly looking at the fortress... Attatched is a picture..

As you can see, the only way in is the little tiny tunnel made out of a glued cap. This tank is so ugly, I hate having it up there. And it still will only stop the T from getting out once it hits adult size.. by which time I'll have moved it into a much larger enclosure anyways.

Bill

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a two-year-old, and I keep several species of Poecilotheria, among other "dangerous" spiders/reptiles. Anything that could potentially pose a threat to my kiddo is kept in a locked room (no need for a pad-lock or dead-bolt here. Just a sliding lock or chain available from your local WalMart will do--just put it high enough on the door that only you can reach it).

If this is not possible, try making a locking cabinet that you can keep the Poecs in, if you're that concerned about it....

Personally, Poecs are generally the last thing on my mind when I'm concerned about my kiddo's safety...I keep Reticulated Pythons, Burmese Pythons, and other big herps that could probably swallow *me* alive....THESE are kept in "Fort Knox" style enclosures :p

I think keeping a 7 inch spider out of your kid's reach will be a cinch compared to this :D