Poecilotheria

Evgen

Arachnopeon
Hello, I bought an adult female Poecilotheria ornata 2 weeks ago and it runs away aggression is not, in all sources they say that the spider is aggressive, I got such a spider or Poecilotheria ornata is not aggressive?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Well, I would not hastely/unknowingly use a word ‘aggressive’ for any tarantulas, but yes, it is an ‘Old World’, and as well as an ‘arboreal’ tarantula. It’s quick, it’s fast, it will likely be skittish if startled, and it will likely to bite you if proboked. That being said: it’s not your everyday gentle and calm tarantula for sure, and for that reason, people wouldn’t normally recommend these to first time tarantula owner.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Um... P. ornata is not a New World tarantula. It is very much Old World, and has the venom and speed to back it up.

Can we see the enclosure? An appropriate enclosure is key, especially for a skittish tarantula.

Evgen

Arachnopeon
I apologize there is no possibility to make a photo, the terrarium is 30 * 30 * 40 cm. With inclined bark, the spider is very fast and timid, the tweezers do not bite immediately runs away.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Any species in this genus is going to be comparatively skittish and likely to bite if they feel threatened. And they have very potent venom.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I apologize there is no possibility to make a photo, the terrarium is 30 * 30 * 40 cm. With inclined bark, the spider is very fast and timid, the tweezers do not bite immediately runs away.
We don't need a studio quality photo, we just need to see what you have going on. Every phone made in the last decade has a camera, any snapshot will do. I have trouble believing that you don't have a camera. Our advice will be much more helpful if we can see your setup. There's probably a lot you wouldn't even think to ask.

Regardless, the number one tip for skittish tarantulas is ensuring they have a proper enclosure. The spider needs a place that it can run to if it feels the need - if it doesn't feel safe, your life will be a lot harder. I'd suggest either adding some fake plants for cover or (ideally) giving it a cork tube rather than a flat bark. Again, it just needs somewhere to run to feel safe.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I apologize there is no possibility to make a photo, the terrarium is 30 * 30 * 40 cm. With inclined bark, the spider is very fast and timid
Seems to me the average (and quite reliable, IMO) European arboreal glass cage.
'Pokies' are, in general, on the 'shy' side - despite the fact that P.ornata is, again in general, viewed as a more high strung one. They rather prefer to 'run' instead of 'bite', but there's always exceptions: nothing is written, here.

the tweezers do not bite immediately runs away.
Don't 'tong feed'. No spider, actually, should bite (or be in a position to bite) the tongs/tweezers.

basin79

ArachnoGod
OP this is how I keep my 2 adult female pokies. 45x30x30cm (HxWxL) enclosures. The cork tube goes right to the bottom of the enclosure. Being a tube it's dark at the bottom and makes them feel safe and the place to go if they feel threatened in any way.

Obviously there's always the chance they'll decide to run out of their enclosures so care must be taken.

Evgen

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the answers how to equip the terrarium I know the Poecilotheria should have a shelter, the main problem of this spider speed is, my Psalmopoeus irminia is more aggressive than the Poecilotheria and I was surprised by the timidity of this spider so I asked.I do not make a conclusion about all the spiders Poecilotheria in one instance.

Troll
You yourself Troll, I have been engaged in spiders for 4 years and have 15 species in the collection and only now decided to buy Poecilotheria .

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think that it's not so much a troll but an Ukrainian using Google translate to get a point/question online guys. Just saying...