Poecilotheria!

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
So I recently bought a 1" P. Ornata sling, and i love it:) I've had it for a few weeks, and it's only eaten like 2-3 times, he normally doesn't eat the cricket I toss in there, so I just remove it. I just wanted to start a thread for everyone to talk about their pokies, and post pics, and possibly give me some tips lol. I love when he walks around the top of his enclosure or lays pokie style, even though he doesn't do it that often, and I can't wait until he molts and grows bigger. That's part of the reason I like slings, so I can raise them myself, and watch them grow up! He's my favorite out of the 3 T's I have, however the other 2 are still tiny, so that's probably why, haha. Anyways, I want to hear what you guys have to say about your Pokies!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Poecilotheria behavior thread.

Wheezy, Being a brand new owner of a P ornata I'll have to say- Wow! So far, so good! 3 have made a burrow into the sub at base of their bark. The other is hanging out half-way up the wall in a corner near the bark. They're pretty doggone fast, too- even upon unpacking after having been in a cool room for several hours.

Looking forward to more. :)

Terry

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
They're so fast. Haha, me and my friend were rehousing mine, and all of a sudden it jumped onto my friends hand. He didn't even see it until I told him where it jumped haha, luckily it jumped off his hand, into its new enclosure! I have yet to see mine really burrow, it's almost always sitting on it's stick, or at the top. Every once in a while, i see like 2-3 strands of web, but nothing big at all. I just recently made a new home for it, and i can't wait to rehouse him, since the new home is a little bigger, and just overall, way better. However, it either looks darker, or i'm imagining it, since I want it to molt lol, therefore i'm a little weary on rehousing him right now. Plus i used forest moss from the lps in the newest home, and from what i've heard, its not that great, so i'm also thinking about redoing the substrate with cocofiber, and possibly vermiculite if i can find it. I want to try feeding it today, but that's only if it goes down from the top of the enclosure! haha

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My ornatas are ranging from .5"-.75"... If I had to describe them in one word... It would be...awesome!

Out of all my slings... They are they only ones that do not run when I touch their enclosure.. They stay sitting on their bark.. I open the cap on top to feed them.. They dont move...

I have tried tong feeding other slings.. But they just run.. These little ornata slings.. Dont run.. Its awesome to beable to tong feed the little ones.. :D

Though from looks alone.. My 5" female regalis is GORGEOUS! I almost regret selling my other female.. But at the same time I dont because it helped me get my Psalmo. pulcher.. :D

tylerh

Arachnopeon
areis is awsome

That was my hand it jumped on!! thats what really made me want one:cool: I have got to get one soon:D

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have a P. pulcher?! Lucky....I haven't been able to find any recently.
:D Yeah.. I got really lucky with this girl.. She is amazing! It took me a couple months & severl sold critters to get her.. I didnt really find her.. The guy I got her from found me.. :D

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I recently bought a 1" P. Ornata sling, and i love it:) I've had it for a few weeks, and it's only eaten like 2-3 times, he normally doesn't eat the cricket I toss in there, so I just remove it. I just wanted to start a thread for everyone to talk about their pokies, and post pics, and possibly give me some tips lol. I love when he walks around the top of his enclosure or lays pokie style, even though he doesn't do it that often, and I can't wait until he molts and grows bigger. That's part of the reason I like slings, so I can raise them myself, and watch them grow up! He's my favorite out of the 3 T's I have, however the other 2 are still tiny, so that's probably why, haha. Anyways, I want to hear what you guys have to say about your Pokies!
Well congrats! glad you chose this species... Their great... My favorite T's out of all my collect... So you said that it has eaten about three times in your care... and now it refuses food... More than likely it's in pre-molt..... slings dont need much food to get to their molting stage.... Ive had the same experience with my pokie slings... they eat a few times... then next thing you know all of a sudden their in pre-molt... what i do... is just jack up the temps a bit keep them well fed, so their nice and fat.... mist every three days( make sure you don't over mist... a wet molt can be detrimental for a sling)... and your good to go... Then with in a year you got a 5-6 inch pokie.... my regalis, miranda, formosa, grew from an 1" to 5-6"... in about 7 months.... their are one easy T to take care of... the only thing to watch out for is their bite... i guess as long as you respect them and not bother themas much you'll be just fine!!!

Peace,
Armando

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Out of all my slings... They are they only ones that do not run when I touch their enclosure.. They stay sitting on their bark.. I open the cap on top to feed them.. They dont move...
That also describes mine. I'd love to get a few more sometime. It's the only one of my slings, minus the reduncus, that I feel ok opening the top of to feed/water without worrying about mad dashes. It just sits there.

I did have it move one time. Needed to move some of it's webbing to get some of it's leftover food bits out. So I was tugging on the piece, which was attached to some webbing. The darn sling just put it's feet on it, I stopped, it took it's legs off, I went to pulling again, & it grabbed again {D I think it wanted to play tug of war.

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I love how chill they are, mine usually doesn't move when i pick up its enclosure, or just starts walking around a little. I'm sad to say it spent all night at the top of its enclosure, so I didn't get to feed it. BUT I did see it lay pokie style a while;) correct me if i'm wrong, but that's when they're relaxing right? I love this little guy, haha, i really want to get a new one, but I don't know which kind. Perhaps another ornata, what are your favorites? My next T will either be a Pokie, a Versicolor, or a Baboon. For a Pokie, I would rather have a P. Subfusca, P. Miranda, P. Fasciata, P. Rufliata, P. Formosa, or a P. Regalis. And for a baboon, either a Pterinochilus murinus, Heteroscodra maculata, or a Pelinobius muticus. What are your views and or favorites among these?

Last edited:

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 3 P. regalis and 4 P. formosa gotta say love the formosa, females get that nice purple sheen to them. I would get what you like.:D

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
That's it! I like way too many T's to possibly buy them all haha:). I really like the purplish on the formosa, but i also really like the dark colors of the subfusca, and the markings on the miranda. And I also want a baboon, and an avicularia;)

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's it! I like way too many T's to possibly buy them all haha:). I really like the purplish on the formosa, but i also really like the dark colors of the subfusca, and the markings on the miranda. And I also want a baboon, and an avicularia;)
Hey now one at a time young man....:D

Glad you like all of them, cause those are all great T's you just mentioned...

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
pokies - awesome enough to get another un

i just got a teeny 1" P regalis, my first pokie.

i hafta admit - it's a nice addition. i wasn't sure about them at first, but after keeping P irminia and P cambridgei, i must say they are a lot less fearsome then they are made out to be, and a different change of pace.

it went straight to the bottom and burrowed at first but is now happy to do the pokie thing near the top of his enclosure.

and it is quite receptive to tong feeding - it's quite 'gentle' so far, pulling the prey item towards it instead of snatching it away.

am adopting this 5" P rufilata from a friend who is tight on space.

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
i know, right?

:drool::drool::drool:

So on my list next!!
...dorsal looks like a female too. i'll know in when it molts.
p/s - have a teeny P ornata on the way. just to keep the P regalis company, you understand. {D