Poecilotheria/Trees and Eating Vertebrates

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very informative. Regardless of where you stand it is always good to know where things come from, and how they are aquired. Thank you for sharing! We don't really think about what goes on behind the scenes, and this was truly educative. It must be amazing being able to see and study them in their native habitat. I'm sure there are other behaviors that are still unknown to us!
Quite welcome

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
When startled, the spider goes deep into the living tree cavity and it has to be chopped out ... needless to say, the tree is either cut down or left with large gaping holes in it that may kill the tree in order to extract the single spider."
Yet another reason the Sri Lankan species going on the endangered species list will do more harm than good.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Okay, I'd love to offer my two adult pokies some hornworm moths. How exactly does one let them pupate? I put some pupas in a catch cup with air holes and it's been like a month and still no moths. They appear to still be alive though, as they wiggle when you touch them. What conditions are necessary for them to pupate successfully?

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
Hahahahaha "hijacking your own thread".
Climate change happens and is part of the natural course of things and been happening since the earths birth.
I only meant the actual hysteria and used global warming as an example of hysteria. Theres hysteria surrounding MANY other things too lol
Also i refer you too a hilarious show called Penn & Tellers bullshit. Its hysterical by nature but they actually look at "topics" and cut the propaganda and BS and expose the sheer stupidity of ppl surrounding random "topics".
Agree or not its worth the watch. Was an HBO show i think
Yes climate change happens but not at the rate it’s happening right now

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Okay, I'd love to offer my two adult pokies some hornworm moths. How exactly does one let them pupate? I put some pupas in a catch cup with air holes and it's been like a month and still no moths. They appear to still be alive though, as they wiggle when you touch them. What conditions are necessary for them to pupate successfully?
I was going to ask the same! It sounds like they might need cooler temperatures to simulate “overwintering”? I am going to order some hornworms for my pokies and would like to know this too!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
They go absolutely bonkers for moths. Let some hornworms pupate and give your T the moth as a treat.
Any advise on hornworm pupation, @Greasylake? Is it just a matter of waiting (weeks or months?) or was there anything additional that you did to get them to pupate successfully such as temporarily lowering temperature or maintaining a certain humidity level?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Any advise on hornworm pupation, @Greasylake? Is it just a matter of waiting (weeks or months?) or was there anything additional that you did to get them to pupate successfully such as temporarily lowering temperature or maintaining a certain humidity level?
Put the large ones in a container with dirt, they'll be ready to pupate around 3 inches. Moisten the dirt and just wait. If they are ready to pupate they will either burrow or just pupate on top of the dirt. Make sure you spray and keep the humidity up or they will have problems with development. After 2 or 3 weeks you can take them out and put them in a mesh enclosure, but keep spraying them. Eventually they will emerge as moths.