• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Poecilotheria subfusca

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I have a sac from a different female than the one that produced my last two sacs. The other female was bred as well, but she just molted and I have placed the male back in her cage. He's been around for awhile but hopefully still has some spunk and loaded bulbs.

Due to the naturalistic vivaria I use, my spiders can hide forever so I have no idea at what point of development the sac is. I hadn't seen either of these two females for about a month or so and decided to investigate both cages. I found the younger female with the sac and the primary female (the large one seen in many of my photos) with a molt.

For now, the egg-sac is being left with the female - as is my preference. However, due to remodeling of my shop I may decide to remove it in the near future and will post an update.

Best regards, Michael

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Well, as I wrote above, I did not know when the sac was produced and was either going to have to come up with a good guess as to when to pull the sac, or just leave it to hatch in the cage. About one week ago I uncovered the terrarium (I had covered the sides with black poster board and the front with half of a paper grocery bag; the enclosure was one of my typical Exo-Terra 12 x 12 x 18 Glass Terrarium with live plants and moss) and saw the female holding the sac. I decided to leave it for another week and watered the plants and substrate to increase the humidity. Just now I decided that I would pull the sac and again uncovered the cage. Her nest was built alongside the side glass where a vertical cork bark slab had been wedged (which is different from my previous two egg-sacs from P. subfusca that were built in subterranean nests surrounded by moss and leaf litter). I discovered that the inside of the glass was covered with silk and on closer inspection found that the sac had hatched inside the cage and a big clump of 1st instars were bunched together on the silk-obscured glass! :clap: Now I will just let them molt to 2nd instar inside the cage and then begin the laborious - but completely enjoyable! - task of collecting and counting the spiderlings. {D These are big, very dark, gorgeous "highland" P. subfusca as seen in my photos and, yes, a few will be ArachnoCon door prizes!

Cheers, Michael

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Genus

Poecilotheria

Species

Subfusca *Highland*

Date female molted last

14 November 2009

Date male matured

29 November 2009

Last mating date

19th January 2010

Started Heaving Webbing

20th Sept 2010

Mating behavior

The male made a sperm web on 1/18/10 and was fed 1 b. lateralis after he destroyed the web then he was breed with the female the following day. Both of there containers were placed into a larger container with the tops off and the male was then prodded out of his container on to the side of the females, Were he immediately climbed in and found her and started to tap, The female did not tap back as I have seen with other poecilotheria sp but she vibrated and jerked her body she showed no aggression towards the male and he got two good inserts before he made a run for it and had to be captured.

Tank conditions and temperatures before mating

This female was kept at around 77 degrees, echo earth was kept damp with a water dish and misting 3-4 times a month

Feeding schedule before mating

After moulting she was fed 2 male b. dubias 2 large adult b. lateralis and before mating 2 more male b. dubias.

Tank conditions and temperatures after mating

70 degrees F. Eco earth was bone damp

Feeding schedule after mating

She has eaten a large female dubia roach after the first mating then feed b. dubias and b. latteralis twice a week

Date eggsack produced

27 29th Sept

Date eggsack removed/hatched

na

Development times of nymphs

na

Total number of spiderlings

na

Additional notes

na

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Successful!

This female was paired a few times between 8/10 and 9/10. She dropped the sac on 3/17/11 and it was pulled on 4/8/11. At this point they were still eggs, but on 4/11/11 they started molting into eggs with legs. They started molting into 1st instars on 5/1/11, and then finally to 2nd instars on 5/27/11. There were some issues with one of my incubators and the final count ended up being 23 instead of around 50 or 60 where it should've been. Temps were kept between 60-80 degrees from start to finish. The average temps within the incubator were around 70-75, and the humidity was somewhere near 100%.

The Mom:

The eggsac:

EWL's:

1st instars:

2nd instars:

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Successful!

The female that gave me a good eggsac last year dropped another good one for me this year. The process was virtually identical as the first. I don't recall exactly when she was mated but it was somewhere between 11/11 and 12/11 and she ate the male just as she did the first time. An eggsac was found with her on 3/19/12 and it was pulled on 4/14/12. At this point they were still eggs but started to emerge the very next day. 1st instar was reached on 5/17/12 and 2nd instar on 6/10/12. The temps were kept somewhere between 60-80 degrees throughout the entire process. The humidity within the incubator was somewhere near 100%. The final count was 34 slings.

Female w/ eggsac:

EWL's:

1st instars:

2nd instars:

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P.subfusca "highland

I purchased the mother from Soren at KWH in Oct 06'.
Female was paired in May. She produced an eggsack in early August. Eggs hatched in Sept. Temps were in the 70's-80's. Offspring was left with the mother to care for them until I separated them from her on Oct 30th. All is good and the spiderlings are eating well!

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Successful!

The female that dropped this sac came from my first breeding of this species back in 2011. She was raised communally amongst 6 others and were slowly split apart as I was able to sex them. She was paired off and on over the course of a few months (6/13-8/13). An eggsac was noticed 9/6/13 and was ultimately pulled on 10/17/13. At that point they were EWL's. 1st instar was reached 10/23/13 and 2nd instar was reached 12/2/13. The final count was 43 2nd instars. The humidity was near 100% during the whole process and the temps fluctuated between 60-80 degrees.

martin lees

Arachnopeon
Poecilotheria subfusca HL

Successful
AF2 molted April/may 2013.one of my males matured in the commune I've kept together since 1st instar spiderlings.(approx 18 months)
First pairing was around late July 2013.male left in for a few weeks to co-habit then taken out.female was kept at a constant temperature on my bottom shelf at around 70'F.
I paired her again on 17/9/13 and a good insert was witnessed and I left the male in with her until he became a meal.
I fed her a bit more heavily after this and started overfilling her water dish until she webbed herself behind her cork bark hide.
Laid eggsack 29/11/13
Pulled eggsack 5/12/13 at 38 days. Mostly EWL
After around three weeks they molted to N2,s
Molted to spiderlings 18/1/14.
TOTAL 64

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
SUCCESSFUL

Female molted 3.2.13
Paired 4.26.13
mating was very quick, sharktanked the pair male immediately started drumming, female responded.
witnessed 2 very quick insertions, and they went their seperate ways. Female was fed B.laterallis, and E.prosticus until she
refused food. regular watering of wetting one corner every few weeks.
sac found 10.29.13
pulled sac 1.7.14
2i 2.19.14, about 40 slings with 3 that had molt problems.

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
SUCCESSFUL

Female molted 5.5.14
Paired 8.2?.14
sharktanked pair, did not witness insertion, took out male next morning, repeated pairing a week later again.
sac found 3.8.15
pulled sac 5.9.15 eggs with legs
1i 5.25.15
2i 6.30-7.2.15
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1340.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg