Poecilotheria striata

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am fairly new to keeping pokies. But yesterday before work I had a Poecilotheria striata sling acting sluggish. She was not in heavy pre molt, but walking weird. Almost limp hanging from the side of the container.

I took her out and put her in a little ICU she went with no protest. But this morning I find that she cast off two legs for no reason at all. She is still walking like its her first time.

I remember reading something about this somewhere but it escapes my memory where. Any help would be great.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh and she has been seperated far far away from my other Ts, just in case.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
When a young tarantula is weakened, sometimes if placed in an ICU, the claws on the legs will catch in the papertowel, and they'll drop them.

Did she have a web? And how moist was her enclosure?

What you remember is probably the thread on Dyskinetic syndrome.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I misted the side of her 50dram vial every other day or so. Temps were in the mid 70's. Her 14 other counter parts are doing just fine, they are even molting here and there now.
The ICU is a small portion cup with just moist substrate. I did not want to use a papertowl because of the reason you mentioned.
The second leg she cast I watched her turn and bite it off. :? That can be good.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I could do that, but why are all the others just fine and shes not?
I was told to keep pokies in the mid 70's. And that anything higher would suck the life out of them.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have kept Pokes in the low 80s since I have been keeping them. I dont keep sp such as subfusca or rufilata which might do better at lower temps. I raised my striata on relatively dry conditions (not bone dry of course). Sounds like yours might need the extra moisture though.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are 1" slings adn I keep them on the moist side they get misted plenty.......
I guess the most confusing part is I have never seen a T bite off a leg like that for no reason.
I hope she still has 6 legs when I get home. I have been at work the last 11 hours.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For what its worth, instead of constantly misting I always soak up the substrate good ,not soggy wet but you know what I mean. Give good ventilation too which I am sure you already know that.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I hope she is the only one that does this. All of the Rufilata slings and the formosa slings, and the regalis slings are doing well....... guess Ill have to wait and see. Thank you for the suggestions Brian.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For any poec slings, I wouldn't complain, one out of fourteen is doing pretty good. I've seen 'defective' batches where more than half (or most) of them die off in the first few instars. Could have been a bad molt, if the carapace never pops how would you know? The sling would just slow down as the new exo hardens up inside the old one. Might have removed the legs in a vain attempt to get out.
I had a male/female pair of P. striata, the 4" female just slowed down and over two months or so finally died for no aparent reason. One of only a couple T's I've lost not due to an obvious bad molt.

Bill

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep all my pokies, except the montane species, at 81 during the day and 78 at night. They do quite well in the heat.

As to why she dropped her legs, I have no idea. I've never seen one bite it's own leg off before. If possible, I'd go ahead and raise the temps to at least 80 and see if that helps her.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I will do that and see if it helps any. My main T room is between 79-82 all the time.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
leg

I dont have any suggestion regarding the leg problem, but I do have 7 pokies and all do well at room temp with supplemental heater during winter, and a cool breeze in summer. So I wouldnt think the temp is causing a problem, maybe humidity? I keep all of mine fairly dry, including rufilata, with weekly misting and no problems.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my adult P. regalis and ornata did fine with 100*F summer day temps and ~50*F night winter temps. baby rega and pederseni did fine too. suspect not temp issue, as i don't seem to recall stiata being from some freaky little habitat

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She was moved into my T room but shes going fast, death curl is setting in. But on the upside I guess, all her sisters and brothers are molting today. 6 molts in all just with my Pokie slings and more looking to come as the night goes on.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry to hear that, maybe she just couldn't molt. sometimes happens with pokies, but on the bright side: most are very robust an i'm sure all others will mature just fine :)