Poecilotheria Striata Tips

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
Hi, I am about to buy a p. Striata and I just wanted to get some care tips on this species

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
same as the rest of the Poecilotheria genus.
its a slightly different colored P regalis, not like it shoots venom or anything.
for petes sake if you need a care sheet why didnt you ask? o_O

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
More on the humid side - water dish and dampen the substrate every few days, maybe mist on the sides - that's a matter of preference, arboreal enclosure with a tubular vertical or diagonal hide. And as always- be careful around pokies. They are fast and unpleasant to be bitten by.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For once I can talk with experience on a pokie! Are you getting a sling or a juvie?

I've had my adult female for about a year and a half now, never needed to add supplemental humidity until I paired her. A large water dish that I occasionally overflow is all the humidity she gets, and she seems content with it. In other words, she's kept pretty darn dry. Even when I made it rain in there, she didn't seem to behave any differently.

She didn't do very well with a cork slab. I'd suggest an actual cork tube. This isn't a reclusive species, but they want to be able to disappear if need be.

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
For once I can talk with experience on a pokie! Are you getting a sling or a juvie?

I've had my adult female for about a year and a half now, never needed to add supplemental humidity until I paired her. A large water dish that I occasionally overflow is all the humidity she gets, and she seems content with it. In other words, she's kept pretty darn dry. Even when I made it rain in there, she didn't seem to behave any differently.

She didn't do very well with a cork slab. I'd suggest an actual cork tube. This isn't a reclusive species, but they want to be able to disappear if need be.
She's a four inch female and thanks for the tips

cold blood

Staff member
Stick to nw for now. You will be in over your head with a 4" sub adult pokie. Poecilotheria is an advanced genus and not something to just jump to.

I would suggest raising a P. cambridgei first....they are one of the best species to prepare you for ow arboreals.

cold blood

Staff member
As a general rule with regards to advanced species is that if you have to ask about them, you are not ready for them yet.

Venoms comments may seem harsh, but the fact is, it was spot on.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Ijk24 listen to the man. You won't have fun with a spider that you're afraid of. My girl is never afraid to fight, and the speed is unlike anything you've dealt with before. Make no mistake, a wet bite from this species will very likely send you to the hospital. It won't kill you, but that pain... well, you get the idea.

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
@Ijk24 listen to the man. You won't have fun with a spider that you're afraid of. My girl is never afraid to fight, and the speed is unlike anything you've dealt with before. Make no mistake, a wet bite from this species will very likely send you to the hospital. It won't kill you, but that pain... well, you get the idea.
Thanks guys I appreciate your concern and I'm afraid to say it's too late I've already ordered it lol but I don't mind having a challenge though

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
They are not hard species to keep alive. That much I can't deny. It's the speed and venom potency that is a concern. Be cautious. Don't tong feed this species! They are known to run along the tongs and bite. They are MUCH faster than LPs and GBBs. They are not called teleporters for nothing.. And a 4inch specimen definitely packs a punch. Be careful.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Not like you'll be playing with it. You open the cage, spot clean, fill the water dish, drop a cricket and close it. That's pretty much it. Rehousing Poecilotheria also isn't difficult, they're usually curled up or make short bursts of speed during rehousing, but almost never sprint around or throw a threat pose. Good luck :)