Poecilotheria species' males...

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rio Grande Golds (Aphonopelma moderatum) are like that. The males are really dark... you'd probably not even realize they were a gold if you came across one in the wild and didn't know what to look for.

I'm sure the darker/ruddier coloration of males is probably due to their need to blend in a little better in their wanderings to find a female. :)

Rav

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an adult male H maculata and compared to the females of the species he is an eyesore. He lacks all of the pretty designs that the females have and his colors arent very contrasted at all. Also, in the Haplopelma genus, the males are significantly different from the females. Where the females are often very big and beautiful, the male is small and spindly and pretty sad looking. Probably one of the most dramatic differences I have seen is between the males and female Psalmopoeus irminia. THe females are beautiful black and orange and most of the males I have seen are just a dull grey with very little marking.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
As in humans.... the female is always the flashiest!!!!!!!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, not always. In some cases, males will have simmilar coloration and pattern, but it will actually be brighter and sharper...by and large it could be argued that males of the genus Brachypelma and possibly Grammostola are often more striking than the females, at least IME.

Also, male Xenesthis sp. are often much more metallic (so I've seen in pics, anyway). From personal experience, I'd say that male P. cambridgei are much more attractive than the females, with more orange and the finged legs.

Wade

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Male Cyriopagopus thorelli always crack me up, Lariz has a nice picture of their grinch-like style.

-V

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
P cancerides comes to mind thinking about this, the mature males all seem to have way more stunning coloration about them than females come close to.

Bill

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Male Cyriopagopus thorelli always crack me up, Lariz has a nice picture of their grinch-like style.
-V
Yeah, they're one of the coolest looking of tarantulas. Very sleek, extra long pedipalps, and lime green. Wish they could last forever.
I think they're prettier than the females.
john

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Pamphobeteus is the exact opposite. It's the males that get really nice looking after their maturing molt Females are generally pretty plain looking.

Scott

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Chromatopelma have males a dull greyish blue sheen to them while the females are striking in radiant blue and orange colors very nice, i have also seen many differences as Scott pointed out with the Pamphobeteus genus,

James