Poecilotheria sp "scratching" abdomen

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I was observing my P metallica as she was wondering around. She began to web a lot then right after she seemed to scratch her abdomen with her back leg. Has anyone ever witnessed this before? And if so, any idea why they do this?

Thanks, Fred

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh neat. Not sure if that was serious or a snappy remark, but thanks.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it were a new world species, I'd say that was pre-molt behavior, as they will web a lot and brush off their urticating hairs on the "molt mat"

justinherran

Arachnopeon
It might have been maneuvering its web. I doubt it's serious regardless of its an itch or something else.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
They also do this when grooming. Yesterday I tried to get a vid of my one of my A hentzis grooming. She was propped up in the corner of her KK, She would place one hind leg in her mouth, groom the toes, then rub it over her abdomen. If you observe your Ts grooming, this is what they do.

Marga

Lor&Chris

Arachnopeon
They also do this when grooming. Yesterday I tried to get a vid of my one of my A hentzis grooming. She was propped up in the corner of her KK, She would place one hind leg in her mouth, groom the toes, then rub it over her abdomen. If you observe your Ts grooming, this is what they do.

Marga
I actually just watched my P. metallica grooming yesterday evening and he then used his leg to clean his back, at least that is what it looked like he was doing.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see my tarantulas do that all the time while grooming, just seems to be part of the process, not sure why they do it! Funny little guys!

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya iv seen my Goliath doing that while grooming. They rub the dirt off then rub their leg on their fangs to get the dirt off their legs.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My spiders do this all the time. they are cleaning dirt/webbing off their abdomen. It is nice to have a hygene awarenessed pets.:clap: