Poecilotheria rufilata

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In '96 I purchased two Poecilotheria rufilata 1st instar spiderlings. One matured as a male, the other a female. She mated for me in late 1999 and this is one of her "babies", now 6".
john

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh my gosh! the colors are beautiful!!!!! are they really like that? no wonder so many people love pokies......

kellygirl

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The colors ARE really like that. Now you know why I want one so bad.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
In '96 I purchased two Poecilotheria rufilata 1st instar spiderlings. One matured as a male, the other a female. She mated for me in late 1999 and this is one of her "babies", now 6".
john

I'm eagerly anticipating the day mine look like that. At present they are all in the 3" range and seem to have slowed down their growth rate a bit. Any idea how long it took yours to double at that size, John?

Joy

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gorgeous spider.. I am getting one of those as soon as the silly season is over.. how easy/hard is it to care for?

Thanks, John

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pokes are the next species I intend to infiltrate... they really are a lot more beautiful than I ever gave them credit for.

My fav for colour still is the P. Irminia though.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Poecilotheria rufilata

Originally posted by Joy
I'm eagerly anticipating the day mine look like that. At present they are all in the 3" range and seem to have slowed down their growth rate a bit. Any idea how long it took yours to double at that size, John?
Joy
Hi Joy,
Yeah, I guess this time of year will slow them down a bit. I've noticed growth spurts in mine, not growth spurts due to environmental factors, but slow at a certain size.
All the Poecilotheria subfusca and Poecilotheria formosa I've ever had were excrutiatingly slow growers at first. Then they hit that 4th or 5th instar size and bloom. This is definitely true of Chilobrachys fimbriatus, in my case.
Some spiderling P. rufilata I've had over the years, would molt monthly. Then, of course, slow down as they get some size. Some were slow, one of the same eggsac is around 2", while his buddies are around 4" now.
There's so many factors that contribute to growth in tarantulas. Add individuality to that list.
Your 3" will most likely reach the 5" mark by summer, if kept warm and well fed.

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
Hi John,
I still have a female(7") that's left from a group of 3 slings I purchased from you about 2 years ago. Her brothers have already been doled out for hopeful breedling loans. They have to be my fave poke with their subtle colors. Hope to find an unrelated mate for her when the time comes!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
john

WOW!!!! MAN!! HOw many pokies do you have? beautiful T! I really want one!!! do they web much?

James

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
John,
Gorgeous t! Is that a tinge of purple I see?

Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
The P. metallica has nothing on that. That is the most beautiful spider I've ever seen John.

You are such a salesman.

Bill

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
The P. metallica has nothing on that. That is the most beautiful spider I've ever seen John.

You are such a salesman.

Bill
No, he's a pusher ;)

Joy

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by zoobugs
Hi John,
I still have a female(7") that's left from a group of 3 slings I purchased from you about 2 years ago. Her brothers have already been doled out for hopeful breedling loans. They have to be my fave poke with their subtle colors. Hope to find an unrelated mate for her when the time comes!
Jim,
That's great! I always wondered what's been going on with those babies. I can only remember a few people that purchased these from me. It would probably be easy to find out, 'cause I saved all the shipping label customer copies. Lot's of old names there.
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
No, he's a pusher ;)
Joy
LOL, and all you'z are the addicts. It's a sickness....almost.

Bill, I don't know. P. metallica is very striking, but then P. rufilata is the largest of the genus. Big and beautiful. Actually, P. rufilata are the largest of arboreal tarantulas.
If I can only dig up a pic of leg span...

James, like others of the genus, roofies will really web up, for the most part, with the onset of a molt, or eggsac construction. But, I've had some "happy" ones, that totally liked their conditions and renovated existing corkbark hollows with web "seams".

Gillian, Common name suggests that this species is reddish (Slate Red Ornamental), even the species name (rufilata) translates to reddish. Indeed they have a reddish wash, but I think the green is more prevalent. Of course, with this species, and others of the genus, have a purple iridescence.

thanks everybody,
john

john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I've seen that before. Very odd. Looks almost worked. But then, maybe that's why they're called rufilata.
john

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome pic LaRiz....

I have to agree with you they are beautiful spiders. Hide well too. Here's my 3 incher playing the you can't see me game.

At what size do they take on the wicked blueish tint? Mine is starting to show some nice blues and reds when the light hits it right but not like your sweet adult yet.

Phil

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another angle...

Here's another shot. Been camera happy here lately. :)

Phil