Poecilotheria rufilata

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
Hello to all. Got a long post here. Questions within.
I always say this first when posting here... I'm a noob, having only been in the hobby for a little more than a year. I'm also not a kid, I'm grown, more than middle-aged, even.
So. That being said, I own what I consider a fair number of tarantulas, atw from docile North American NWs to some NW arboreals to African OW dwarfs and a couple other baboon sp. I've got a bit of experience keeping many kinds with varying temperaments.
But I've never had a Poecilotheria.
Until now.

I feel that it is relevant to quantify that.

So I purchased a couple new T's from a reputable local breeder last weekend, all NW dwarfs.
He offered me several freebies, among them a 1.5 inch P. rufilata.
I didn't want it at first. I was like "No. Get a horrida or another pulcher or some scrubland terrestrial. Don't go with the Asian arboreals yet. You're not ready."
But the more I thought about the rufilata, the more I wanted it. The more I felt that I had the stones to handle it. Unwise? Possibly. But Dude. It's a FREEBIE rufilata. I mean you know? If I hadn't known and trusted the breeder I would've been less inclined to even consider it. But I do know and trust the dealer and he's always went out of his way to do me right. Every spood I've got from him was healthy and all of them are still thriving. I've got NWs and OW's from him. So I just couldn't pass this pokie up. A freebie rufilata. I still can't believe it!

Anyhow now I've got my first pokie, again a 1.5 rufilata sling maybe a little bigger dls.Closer to 2 inches maybe, is my thought. Haven't had a chance myself to get a proper measurement, as it mostly hides or calmly boogies into it's tube when I approach the enclosure. It doesn't bolt so far, not that I've seen. It's very chill, confident in it's camo and danger level I suppose... Except during feeding. I'll get to that in a minute.
It seems to be healthy enough. Housing went more smoothly than I ever expected. I made it a point to be patient, calm and alert, tried to be aware of it's body language and what mood I felt it was in. Quite frankly, I was consciously having to hold my butthole shut. I was nigh crapping m'self. Don't get me wrong...I feel I'm ready to care for this spider. I've seen speed and defensiveness and Ive learned to keep from panicking (so far) as far as catching an escapee. Still, there's always that little sliver of caution, uncertainty. The "Demon of Discord," I call it. Like Jack the Ripper is looking in your window or something, know what I'm sayin'?

But hey, Blim Blam. T was quite calm. Took a few minutes, (maybe I was being a little overly cautious, but really there's no such thing when you're dealing with an Asian OW, or any other sp. for that matter, now is there?) but it went right in. Nice and easy.

Again, THAT being said, I've watched Tom Moran's vids, Dave's Little Beasties vids on dealing with this sp.(and many others). I've looked at bite reports (there's only one on here that I could find about this one and the overall result didn't seem to be on the level with some of the other species. Could've been a low-dose bite, ) and I've read thread after thread on this forum and others about this spider.

But on many threads here, both about this species and others, three main things have stood out to me somewhat more than others. These things are:

1. Do your own research, and do as much research as you can stomach, learn everything you can find before getting the animal. (Luckily I've been researching pokies of many, many different species since before I ever got my first Tarantula, so I felt I already had that one down aces. But I still watched more when I decided to get it, some over and over). I've spent hours on here, Arachnoboards, researching just Poecilotheria, not to mention hundreds of other species. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty much OCD when it comes to research. That's one reason why I'm so long-winded and why I'm here right now. It's a mind problem. Trust me. I got the papers. But I'm comfortable in all my psychoses. Onward.

2. Another thing is to take and provide pics of the T in question (if it'll stay still long enough that you can get them,) and the present enclosure you have it in. This helps the other members to have a much more definitive idea of how to help the OP with any questions said person has. I've completed this step too. All pics I have so far will be posted below.

And 3. Ask your own questions no matter how much research you've done, even on here. It's better to err on the side of caution and take a chance of someone being grumpy toward you and use any info that benefits you than to be a wuss, not ask a question, and take a chance on an ER (or maybe even a casket) visit that could possibly have been avoided if you'd had the stones to ask in the first place.

I know some aren't a fan of this #3 thing bc some questions have been asked so frequently that some members are sick of answering them. (I.e. Here's one: "I just got an Arizona blonde. How should I care for it?") I get that. I've even felt that way on some sites from a few ppl. You know, frustrated at some 8 year old who snuck a tarantula into the house without parental permission and without knowing the first thing about the T or the care involved or the parents' opinion on the whole "Big a$$ spider" deal. Yes, I'm talking to you, all social media. Maybe even a few ppl here. But I digress once again.

So. Since I feel like my remaining goals are to post the pics and ask the questions, here's what I THINK I know.
I know this pokie (rufilata) gets enormous, some say ten inches or even more. (Sorry...don't know the metric measurements for reference.) I know it does, or can, and that is a fact. It's one of the largest species out there, rivaling even the T stirmi size wise.

I also know that it reportedly possesses what is arguably the most potent venom of any tarantula on the planet, with some claiming that other pokies have worse venom and some claiming that this is the worst one. I accept that.
Some claim it's the P. met. Some say regalis, ornata, etc. Some say H Mac or Stro cal. I don't want to be bitten by any of them, period. Not a pokie, not a chalcodes, not anything in between. Ever
I've been stung by almost every wasp or hornet there is, some repeatedly, and I dislike it absolutely. So I do not handle T's, even as slings, though I've had a few scuttle across my hand during rehousing. But I see no point in purposeful handling, IMO. No benefit either way, for the T or for the keeper.
But if you handle, hey. More power to you. Up the Irons. Git 'R done. I've nothing against you. But I don't handle my own T's and that's it.

I also know that many species have negative "mythology" surrounding them. Some ppl say that their OBT is docile as a kitten when the mythology says they are the devil, and I know for a fact that my own G. pulchra (which are supposedly slow moving T's and docile as kittens) is a maniacal monster who would kill me given the chance. I know that my pulcher is flee rather than fight but don't back it into a corner. She's fast. Oh yes.

I also know that some mythology just may be the truth. It's there for a dang good reason

So my questions are these:
Does my setup in these pics look ok to you all for the sp. relevant to it's size? (About 2 inches).

It's of course an arboreal setup with about 2.5" damp sub, taller cork tube angled up with two entrance holes at top, fake leaf glued to top for extra cover, water dish glued to top.
So far, I've been misting "rain" a little. I've read maybe twice a month? Is that cool? Unessesary? More? Less? Stop it altogether?

Anything else I could do, or consider doing with the enclosure?

It's not bioactive. Just moist with hide(s) and plants and water dish. Too much? Not enough?

I also know that this sp. is endemic to Ghats, India and I think I saw parts of Sri Lanka (?) Think I have those right. Plz correct me if I'm in error there. TIA.
Therefore, I think it gets a monsoon season or at least a heavy rainy season in the wild (very damp and moist) and can handle dry conditions as well.
Is this true? Accurate? If not, what is the best approach to moisture levels? Is it physiologically equipped for both extremes? If so, lasting how long?

Right now, I've got it fairly moist in there. Do I let it dry out, then moisten again? If so, how long should I let it dry out for? I need.

I've read they do fine at room temps. I keep it °75 or so (sorry...don't know the Celsius measurement.) In your counsel, does that sound acceptable for this sp?

Feeders are exclusively crickets. I do not tong feed, I just drop the feeder to the spider. I've done that with this one once and It did feed fast and well in it's new enclosure on day two of my owning it.

Is this a good way to go about feeding, in your opinion?

Spood seems to like it ok so far. BTW I favor using crickets bc they seem to always elicit a ferocious feeding response, no matter what species I give them to, which I love to see. I mean let's face it. That's one of the best things about the hobby, right? Again, just IMO.
So I know for a fact that it likes crickets. It had it's offered cricket in it's fangs almost in midair. So I already got to see a little of that infamous speed. I'm glad. That counts toward a few exp's She's got the speed. That's for sure. The myth lives up on that one!

Crickets are good feeders for this one, right? Wrong?

Next, I was only able to find one bite report on this sp, and that one is right here on Arachnoboards.

Are there any bite reports on this T that I missed that anyone could point me to, or has anyone been bitten by one of these that has not filed a report? I sure would like to hear from you about it . Obvious reasons. Hope you're doing well.

That's all the questions I can think of at the mo. So here we go. Pics.

These two are from when I first got it home. It's still in the 2 oz deli cup from the dealer in these pics. So it's probably closer to two inches than an inch and a half. I love the green that sets it apart in the pokie kingdom, but none of the other colors are visible yet. I can't wait to see them one day, hopefully.
Would that size I mentioned make it a "juvie?" Or would it still be considered a sling? Just curious.
20220812_105902-0.jpg 20220812_105914-0.jpg IMG_20220816_124411602.jpg IMG_20220816_124427980_HDR.jpg IMG_20220816_124235778_HDR.jpg IMG_20220816_124339447_HDR.jpg

These are from when I first got him or her home. Was in a two inch deli cup, so in reality, spider is probably closer to two inches than an inch and a half.
20220812_105902-0.jpg 20220812_105914-0.jpg 20220812_105914-0.jpg

These next few pics are of the 32 oz deli cup setup I housed it in. Tried to get multiple angles showing inside and out. Spood is inside cork so I didn't leave it open long enough to take more than a few. IMG_20220816_124411602.jpg IMG_20220816_124427980_HDR.jpg IMG_20220816_124235778_HDR.jpg IMG_20220816_124339447_HDR.jpg These last are a couple shots of my overall collection. I provided them so it can be known that this pokie is not my first T. 20220816_124622-0.jpg 20220816_124622-0.jpg

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does my setup in these pics look ok to you all for the sp. for it's size?
- Yes, looks fine. Personally, with Poecies, I usually aim to keep them in a size larger than necessary to limit necessary rehousings to a minimum, but that's personal preference.

It's of course an arboreal setup with about 2.5" damp sub, taller cork tube angled up with two entrance holes at top, fake leaf glued to top, water dish glued to top.

It's not bioactive.
Just moist with hide(s) and plants and water dish. Too much? Not enough? - Raising and keeping T's is not rocket science, mate. As long as the spider is kept in a way that mimics its natural habitat conditions, you'll be fine. Don't overthink it! Meaning don't even start thinking about "misting" to raise humidity and stuff like that. Provide a waterdish, keep the temps within the species like and your spider will prosper. Evaporating water from the dish will increase humidity plenty and you could moisten the substrate now and then if you think it necessary. (It usually isn't except for a number of fossorial species)

I also know that this sp. is endemic to Ghats, India and I think I saw parts of Sri Lanka (?) Think I have those right. Plz correct me if I'm in error there. TIA. Therefore it gets a monsoon season or at least a heavy rainy season in the wild (very damp and moist) and can handle dry conditions as well.
Is this true? Accurate? If not, what is the best approach to moisture levels?
- You do not have to simulate these conditions exactly. Although many breeders will state that it helps with breeding, if you just want to keep one as a display animal it is not as crucial.

Right now, I've got it fairly moist in there. Do I let it dry out, then moisten again? If so, how long should I let it dry out for? I need. - As with all arboreals the rule of thumb is do not risk stale air. Don't spend so much attention on moisture as it mostly often leads to a dead T. The amount of people literally drowning their arboreals in stuffy, wet cages is astonishing and shouldn't be copied. Provide a good sized waterdish and keep that full at all times. Temperature will do the rest. As mentioned before, if you feel it necessary moisten (not swamp!) a part of the substrate but forget about misting as it will only temporarily raise humidity.

Feeders are crickets. I do not tong feed, I just drop feeder to the spider. I've done that with this one once and It did feed fast and well in it's new enclosure on day two of my owning it. Is this a good way to go about feeding, in your opinion? - Crickets in general are fine. I'd now and then provide a different feeder (i.e. roach, red-runner roach, locust or whatnot) just for variety, but you're fine. That said - not tong-feeding is good BUT always make sure your T isn't in premolt (sealed-off hide is usually a dead giveaway) and never throw the feeders into the hide. That's not just rude, it might also be a cause for an accident down the lane as sometimes a T will get spooked and race out. Your guess is as good as mine what'll happen then. Escape is the least bad outcome, a bite the worst. Be kind to your T.

I was only able to find one bite report and that one was right here in Arachnoboards. - What's the occasion for hearing more? Any Poecie bite (provided it wasn't a dry bite) will likely be followed by a trip to the ER for most. As with every species and genera out there just use common sense and take precautions and you'll be fine. And if bad comes to worse, there's not much that can be done anyways. You'll be treated for the symptoms, not the cause as there is no anti-venom for tarantulas. Bottom line here is to respect the animal and don't do stupid things like trying to grab it (that one is self-explanatory, I know).

And lastly - congrats. Poecie's look stunning and are something to behold. Not my personal favorite genera, but they are lovely looking.

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
- Yes, looks fine. Personally, with Poecies, I usually aim to keep them in a size larger than necessary to limit necessary rehousings to a minimum, but that's personal preference.

It's of course an arboreal setup with about 2.5" damp sub, taller cork tube angled up with two entrance holes at top, fake leaf glued to top, water dish glued to top.

It's not bioactive.
Just moist with hide(s) and plants and water dish. Too much? Not enough? - Raising and keeping T's is not rocket science, mate. As long as the spider is kept in a way that mimics its natural habitat conditions, you'll be fine. Don't overthink it! Meaning don't even start thinking about "misting" to raise humidity and stuff like that. Provide a waterdish, keep the temps within the species like and your spider will prosper. Evaporating water from the dish will increase humidity plenty and you could moisten the substrate now and then if you think it necessary. (It usually isn't except for a number of fossorial species)

I also know that this sp. is endemic to Ghats, India and I think I saw parts of Sri Lanka (?) Think I have those right. Plz correct me if I'm in error there. TIA. Therefore it gets a monsoon season or at least a heavy rainy season in the wild (very damp and moist) and can handle dry conditions as well.
- You do not have to simulate these conditions exactly. Although many breeders will state that it helps with breeding, if you just want to keep one as a display animal it is not as crucial.

Right now, I've got it fairly moist in there. Do I let it dry out, then moisten again? If so, how long should I let it dry out for? I need. - As with all arboreals the rule of thumb is do not risk stale air. Don't spend so much attention on moisture as it mostly often leads to a dead T. The amount of people literally drowning their arboreals in stuffy, wet cages is astonishing and shouldn't be copied. Provide a good sized waterdish and keep that full at all times. Temperature will do the rest. As mentioned before, if you feel it necessary moisten (not swamp!) a part of the substrate but forget about misting as it will only temporarily raise humidity.

Feeders are crickets. I do not tong feed, I just drop feeder to the spider. I've done that with this one once and It did feed fast and well in it's new enclosure on day two of my owning it. Is this a good way to go about feeding, in your opinion? - Crickets in general are fine. I'd now and then provide a different feeder (i.e. roach, red-runner roach, locust or whatnot) just for variety, but you're fine. That said - not tong-feeding is good BUT always make sure your T isn't in premolt (sealed-off hide is usually a dead giveaway) and never throw the feeders into the hide. That's not just rude, it might also be a cause for an accident down the lane as sometimes a T will get spooked and race out. Your guess is as good as mine what'll happen then. Escape is the least bad outcome, a bite the worst. Be kind to your T.

I was only able to find one bite report and that one was right here in Arachnoboards. - What's the occasion for hearing more? Any Poecie bite (provided it wasn't a dry bite) will likely be followed by a trip to the ER for most. As with every species and genera out there just use common sense and take precautions and you'll be fine. And if bad comes to worse, there's not much that can be done anyways. You'll be treated for the symptoms, not the cause as there is no anti-venom for tarantulas. Bottom line here is to respect the animal and don't do stupid things like trying to grab it (that one is self-explanatory, I know).

And lastly - congrats. Poecie's look stunning and are something to behold. Not my personal favorite genera, but they are lovely looking.
Thanks a lot my friend. I really appreciate the time you took to answer and all the valuable info. I will definitely read and re-read it all. Thank you!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're welcome. And since I forgot to mention it above a warning - do not leave crickets or superworms, in an enclosure unchecked! They are able to hurt, worst kill, your T if in premolt or otherwise somehow impaired!

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
You're welcome. And since I forgot to mention it above a warning - do not leave crickets or superworms, in an enclosure unchecked! They are able to hurt, worst kill, your T if in premolt or otherwise somehow impaired!
Already knew that one but thanks for providing the info once again. Always need to hear it all. We all tend to forget things, especially during the concentration of interacting with the animals. Always good to hear the basics again. They're the most important thing about this hobby. We all need to be reminded of the "first principles" from time to time, and maybe even a first time keeper will see all this and learn something.
This forum always delivers good stuff. That's why I'm here. Thanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

It's not bioactive.

Nice to see you around!!!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I keep mine pretty dry. I have seen them die in overly moist enclosures. They are pretty mellow given their reputation. They tend to be pretty calm and fight seems last on a long list. Make sure they have enough sub to dig at the bottom of their log. The Ghats have a very hot, very dry season so as the other poster said "you don't have to mimic their home" and since their homes are outdoor, humidity / air doesn't get trapped. (see start of my posting)
I always toss a couple crickets in and let nature do the rest. Singles may never wander into the 'death zone' so I just up the odds of prey meeting predator.
Pokie bites hurt, full stop. I hope to never have to post a report
and Congrats, the rufilata is my fave of the genus

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
I keep mine pretty dry. I have seen them die in overly moist enclosures. They are pretty mellow given their reputation. They tend to be pretty calm and fight seems last on a long list. Make sure they have enough sub to dig at the bottom of their log. The Ghats have a very hot, very dry season so as the other poster said "you don't have to mimic their home" and since their homes are outdoor, humidity / air doesn't get trapped. (see start of my posting)
I always toss a couple crickets in and let nature do the rest. Singles may never wander into the 'death zone' so I just up the odds of prey meeting predator.
Pokie bites hurt, full stop. I hope to never have to post a report
and Congrats, the rufilata is my fave of the genus
Thanks!

ButterMan

Arachnosquire
I got a p rufilata as well. It actually escaped for a while once but I immediately spotted it on the ceiling. Just be careful when moving them into a larger enclosure because they are really good at squeezing through tiny holes

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
I got a p rufilata as well. It actually escaped for a while once but I immediately spotted it on the ceiling. Just be careful when moving them into a larger enclosure because they are really good at squeezing through tiny holes
Thanks. I'll probably have to rehome it pretty soon maybe after a couple molts so that's def veluable info.

I have had 2, both have been sweethearts
Good to know! Mine hasn't shown any defensiveness at all...even when I got it home and rehoused and accidentally dumped a buttload of substrate on her. She was still just as calm as could be.