Poecilotheria Rufilata

Isahales

Arachnopeon
Hi just wanted to ask how are the poecilotheria rufilata are they similar to poecilotheria metallica in terms of their behavior as hear people say the poecilotheria metallica are aggressive.From what I have noticed mine is less aggressive and defensive than my chilean rose and mexican red knee even less skittish which is crazy.I have never see it even give a threat pose at all and is really chill.I love the look of the poecilotheria rufilata and wanted to get one just want to know are they very close to the poecilotheria metallica in how they behave or are they really agressive or somthing?????

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
"Aggressive" is a misnomer. Even the bolder Pokies aren't aggressive, they're just skittish and defensive. P. metallica generally land on the calmer side of the spectrum, but every T is different. I describe the metallica as being shy, as they're much more likely to run and hide than stand their ground. I can't speak to P. rufilata as I've not yet kept that species, just wanted to get in front of the whole aggressive/defensive debate.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
youre not around in Harrow by any chance??
anyway, Ts arent aggressive, theyre defensive. P metallica are a little more skittish than rufilata IME. and no, my 5" fem is quite skittish but not very defensive.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hi just wanted to ask how are the poecilotheria rufilata are they similar to poecilotheria metallica in terms of their behavior as hear people say the poecilotheria metallica are aggressive.From what I have noticed mine is less aggressive and defensive than my chilean rose and mexican red knee even less skittish which is crazy.I have never see it even give a threat pose at all and is really chill.I love the look of the poecilotheria rufilata and wanted to get one just want to know are they very close to the poecilotheria metallica in how they behave or are they really agressive or somthing?????
I have just had my P. rufilata for 2 months now and it just molted. All I can say on temperment is that they don't seem super defensive. Mine just likes to bolt to the hide. Also, most pokies have the same care and etc. I do hear though that rufilata does like it around 72 F and can take drops in humidity pretty well. Love my little juvie, she is super gorgeous with green and red highlights and blue/yellow warning legs ;) I would go for it, they are great T's. I'd probably say calmer than a P. metallica, but just like in your case individuals can be very different. I'm sure there is a S. cal female that is B. smithi calm and a P. scrofa that is like an angry OBT 24/7. Again, great T, you should definitly go for it :D

cold blood

Staff member
IMO all pokies are basically the same or similar, with individual variations. I've many times heard metallica was the most calm, others say the opposite....I have heard Formosa tended to be the most consistently chill....But honestly, they way they blend in to backgrounds is probably a big factor as to why they're less skittish than a lot of OW arboreals.

In all honesty, I have seen a few skittish movements, right into their hides, but for the most part pokies aren't a wild, threat posturing, wildly scrambling genus. I have adult females of vitatta, striata, regalis, ornata and MMs of striata, regalis and vitatta, and have raised a lot of others to adulthood...not sure if I have seen too many threat postures or any whirlwind pokies yet (I've seen it with every H. mac though).

IMO if you can handle one pokie without issues into adulthood, you can handle any other species just the same.

Isahales

Arachnopeon
I have just had my P. rufilata for 2 months now and it just molted. All I can say on temperment is that they don't seem super defensive. Mine just likes to bolt to the hide. Also, most pokies have the same care and etc. I do hear though that rufilata does like it around 72 F and can take drops in humidity pretty well. Love my little juvie, she is super gorgeous with green and red highlights and blue/yellow warning legs ;) I would go for it, they are great T's. I'd probably say calmer than a P. metallica, but just like in your case individuals can be very different. I'm sure there is a S. cal female that is B. smithi calm and a P. scrofa that is like an angry OBT 24/7. Again, great T, you should definitly go for it :D
could you show me a picture of youre Poecilotheria Rufilata

Isahales

Arachnopeon
youre not around in Harrow by any chance??
anyway, Ts arent aggressive, theyre defensive. P metallica are a little more skittish than rufilata IME. and no, my 5" fem is quite skittish but not very defensive.
Nah I live in ESSEX Basildon

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've raised multiple male P metallica. Currently have 1.1 juveniles. (Finally a female!)
To date, none have been overly skittish and never defensive. They have tended to be far more visible than my sole female rufilata. She has been pretty skittish her whole life, but more prone to dart into her cork round than out of her enclosure. The only time she was ever defensive was when I took her egg sac.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
@Isahales Sorry, don't really have a great pic of her. Seems mine were lost, and she is hardening in her burrow right now. That is a pic of the bark, she made a burrow underneath it to molt. They seem to like to dig and make burrows when juvies/slings as well. Here is a pic of the burrow, but she looked great even in premolt. A little pale, but a nice green/black with red hairs all over :D Thinking of getting another, but a sling this time. They are great, and hopefully she starts roaming and webbing behind her bark for me. Will update if I ever find those pics ;)

Attachments

Isahales

Arachnopeon
@Isahales Sorry, don't really have a great pic of her. Seems mine were lost, and she is hardening in her burrow right now. That is a pic of the bark, she made a burrow underneath it to molt. They seem to like to dig and make burrows when juvies/slings as well. Here is a pic of the burrow, but she looked great even in premolt. A little pale, but a nice green/black with red hairs all over :D Thinking of getting another, but a sling this time. They are great, and hopefully she starts roaming and webbing behind her bark for me. Will update if I ever find those pics ;)
wow nice but cant really see her lol I really would like to get one

cold blood

Staff member
The biggest difference will be size...metallica being the smallest in the genus, rufialata being the largest.