Poecilotheria regalis Rehousing

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
Just completed the rehousing. I like how the new cage came out. The old cage was so over cluttered it made getting the T out quite tough.

Clutter cage

Tools

Once the spider was out, I cleaned the glass, and made a new enclosure.

Spider in jar, I had the mason jar lid on upside down to allow airflow, but while taking it off, remember, it's not the rubber side.

My P. regalis in it's home. It can enter from the top or bottom to the back part.

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I didnt make the acrylic cage. It's kinda hard to see, but it's a big piece of bark with a old hide buried up against it that I had for a smaller T to act as an entrance.

The cage I removed the T from was so cluttered with fake leaves the spider had no room to explore, and rarely did.

cold blood

Staff member
You went from cluttered to bare bones...I'd add a few plants around the base of the wood.

I wouldn't invert the enclosure. This is something usually reserves for avics because they make their homes at or near the top. Pokies aren't generally like that, typically preferring ground hides [especially] when younger. If the t chooses a ground hide, it will be exposed and at risk for escape every time you lift the top for anything. Just something to consider.

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
You went from cluttered to bare bones...I'd add a few plants around the base of the wood.

I wouldn't invert the enclosure. This is something usually reserves for avics because they make their homes at or near the top. Pokies aren't generally like that, typically preferring ground hides [especially] when younger. If the t chooses a ground hide, it will be exposed and at risk for escape every time you lift the top for anything. Just something to consider.
I hear you and mostly agree, how it's setup, the T has been using both the bottom and top entrances to get around, and it's been hanging at the middle of the cage, the pictures don't really show the whole picture of its living quarters around back. Also all those leaves actually kept the spider from exploring much at all due to their wispy bending nature, and made feeding and extraction not fun. This will be a whole lot easier to maintain. I'm not a big fan of making edits after the T goes in, but if I can track down a silk leaf or two, I'll throw it in. Thanks for the thoughts.

Jeff

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon

Not following here, when you say not to invert the cage? The bark only makes it 2/3 of the way up the cage, and behind is fairly deep with coir and bark to the bottom. Also it's a side opening cage.

Whenever I open either my Pokie or Stromatopelma cages, it's a very small amount, and very carefully, I don't dwell with it open, ever.

Thanks again.

Jeff

cold blood

Staff member
it's a side opening cage.
Never mind then, I was mistaken, it looked like an inverted amex type box...front doors, ha, yeah, that part of my post, in hindsight, was irrelevant and made no sense.:bag:

Ts aren't big on exploration;)

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
Hard to tell size, the T, I would guess to be 6" plus DLS