Poecilotheria regalis rehouse

Timothy Karl

Arachnopeon
Is this setup good for a juvenile Poecilotheria regalis? Tank size is 8x4x8 inches. TIA.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is this setup good for a juvenile Poecilotheria regalis? Tank size is 8x4x8 inches. TIA.

I would personally add some cork bark for it to build is home on. That and maybe a bit more for it to build around. Large cork rounds or flats are nice. I've read that they will actually build up tunnels and burrow in the ground.

I have found that mine has progressively build deeper and deeper into the substrate as it has gotten larger.

Here's my girl after a molt:
20160512_185807.jpg
Zoomed out view of setup:
20160518_203630.jpg

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Instead of that little stick, add a big piece of vertical cork bark. They will web behind it. That stick may not be the best for a hide. Just add a big piece of flat bark on one side of the enclosure and it should be much better :D

Timothy Karl

Arachnopeon
I would personally add some cork bark for it to build is home on. That and maybe a bit more for it to build around. Large cork rounds or flats are nice. I've read that they will actually build up tunnels and burrow in the ground.

I have found that mine has progressively build deeper and deeper into the substrate as it has gotten larger.

View attachment 222273
View attachment 222274
Thanks for the reply I will post an update about his/her new hide.

Timothy Karl

Arachnopeon
Instead of that little stick, add a big piece of vertical cork bark. They will web behind it. That stick may not be the best for a hide. Just add a big piece of flat bark on one side of the enclosure and it should be much better :D
Thanks for the reply I will post an update about his/her new hide.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 222273
View attachment 222274
@Bry, what size are those Hobby Lobby model boxes you are using above?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@Bry, what size are those Hobby Lobby model boxes you are using above?
Those are the 15x7x6 ones i think.

Also, it only took me a couple months, but I used 27 guage needle on those acrylic welds.... so sorry... :bag:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are the 15x7x6 ones i think.

Also, it only took me a couple months, but I used 27 guage needle on those acrylic welds.... so sorry... :bag:
Thanks! What size are the Ts? Trying to gauge their size against some of my Avics to see if I'd use that size container.

AH, the gauge size..thanks! I'll drop that into amazon.com

Were they actual needles, or blunt tipped, ie the tip is a cross-section of a cylinder in shape?

This is what I use for adding water. BTW, this guy's company is great. I bought a few tips from him.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._sfl_title_13?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
It's a BAD, BAD idea to use a setup that doesn't have a real lid, esp with a Poki! It's a recipe for escape, especially for those times when you MAY need to close down the lid. That setup has "problem" written all over it.

What's the beige container it's in for? Nice to see a water dish!
X2 what viper said. If you want something simple that works, go buy a plastic reusable cereal box with a good lid and use a drill or soldering iron to make some small air holes.

Timothy Karl

Arachnopeon
The beige container is to keep ants away from the enclosure it has water in it. I'm planning on it but I don't want semi-transparent plastics, I can't see through it.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The beige container is to keep ants away from the enclosure it has water in it. I'm planning on it but I don't want semi-transparent plastics, I can't see through it.
Then save up some money for a nice acrylic enclosure. But put your spider in something with a lid if you don't want a lost or injured or dead spider.
It can get stuck in that gauze/mesh thing, it can chew through it like a knife through butter!

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
What these guys are saying. Your T can chew through hard plastic meshes and some light metal ones too. That cloth thing you've got there isn't going to be a barrier to a tarantula.