Poecilotheria ornata sexual dimorphism

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Starting a new thread so it's easier to find. :)

The only species of Poecilotheria that can be accurately sexed dorsally at a young age is P. ornata. The other species sometimes can when larger sub adults but not always, it differs per individual. Hence why it is not accurate. Never go by folio sexing either. P. ornata can easily sexed by the pattern on the carapace as small as 2.5"(safer to wait until at least 3"+ to be safe).

Poecilotheria ornata dimorphism
3" Juvenile male

3" Juvenile female

5" male

5" female

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Excellent post. I wasn't aware of their dimorphism until recently. Funny thing is that, when I bought my female as a unsexed sling, she was already almost 3''. I guess the seller also didn't know about it ^^

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
IMO these are one of the prettiest poecies. They have such a variety of different colours. Even the males are gorgeous.

AntikInsomniak

Arachnopeon
The resolution on these photos is breathtaking. Curious to know what camera model and lens is being used for these photos. It'd be awesome to take some photos of my own at this level of quality.

cold blood

Staff member
The resolution on these photos is breathtaking. Curious to know what camera model and lens is being used for these photos. It'd be awesome to take some photos of my own at this level of quality.
go to Advan's pic thread....really, do yourself a favor, drop everything and do it now!

He goes though many detailed explanations/tutorials in the "through the lens" section, check that out, too.

AntikInsomniak

Arachnopeon
go to Advan's pic thread....really, do yourself a favor, drop everything and do it now!

He goes though many detailed explanations/tutorials in the "through the lens" section, check that out, too.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. Beautiful pictures.

CJPeter

Arachnopeon
The 3" images are apparently missing in the OP. The larger images are still there. fyi. (first 5 pics.)

John Chu

Arachnopeon

How about this guy? Increased the image's contrast at around 5 percent
@advan help :(

Unedited photo: @advan Specimen is 3" DLS

Last edited by a moderator:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
@John Chu Male. Wait for the next molt and you will see the pattern on the carapace fade even more.

John Chu

Arachnopeon
@John Chu Male. Wait for the next molt and you will see the pattern on the carapace fade even more.
Thank you Advan!

Still male @advan on this one?

Molted about 3 to 4 days ago
Having a hard time with this one, his/her size didn't increase that big on this molt. From 3" to 3.25"-3.50" in DLS

Last edited by a moderator:

advan

oOOo
Staff member

Acheroraptor

Arachnopeon
20211212_125955.jpg
20211212_125953.jpg

How about these 2? got them as a juvenile pair at a reputable shop a molt ago. so one should be a male... but things are going south with these two. (legspan 11~15cm, this is behind-a-hide shot)

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Those both look female to me, but there was a commenter on reddit who noted a male of his had the dark carapace markings until 5-6" DLS. There could be rare exceptions to what advan has documented here.