Poecilotheria not eating

sheist1234

Arachnopeon
I recently picked up a .75 P. subfucsa sling that has been eating sporadically but tends to chew up pinhead crickets without actually eating them. I find bodies regularly that appear chewed. Its' abdomen is about the size of its' carapace or a little bigger so I am not currently concerned about it starving to death but I am confused why it isn't eating more or getting more fat. I am currently keeping it in a large dram vial on a substrate of coco-fiber and topsoil that is mostly dry with a water dish and sphagnum moss for hiding. I will post pictures in a little bit but any ideas or suggestions about what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Its' abdomen is about the size of its' carapace or a little bigger... I am confused why it isn't eating more or getting more fat.
Doesn't need to get any fatter than this. Would never even come close to starving to death with an abdomen of the size you describe.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Why are you keeping it mostly dry as a sling? Poecilotheria are commonly kept on a few inches of slightly moist substrate especially as slings, drying out from time to time can be okay but I wouldn't recommend keeping slings mostly dry as a general rule of thumb, but that's just me.

sheist1234

Arachnopeon
Why are you keeping it mostly dry as a sling? Poecilotheria are commonly kept on a few inches of slightly moist substrate especially as slings, drying out from time to time can be okay but I wouldn't recommend keeping slings mostly dry as a general rule of thumb, but that's just me.
I just meant that I am not keeping it super wet. I use an eye dropper to moisten the top of the substrate several times a week and keep the bottom level moist

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Pokie's abdomens don't get as fat as some of the new world terrestrials you see. It could be fasting, yet killing the prey because it's annoying and bothering it. I'd be willing to bet that it's full and has enough food to last through to the next molt, and it's just killing the prey so it doesn't bother it anymore.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just meant that I am not keeping it super wet. I use an eye dropper to moisten the top of the substrate several times a week and keep the bottom level moist
as a sling Would keep it evenly moist at the stage you are at, that's what I'd do if it were mine!

sheist1234

Arachnopeon
as a sling Would keep it evenly moist at the stage you are at, that's what I'd do if it were mine!
I can do that. I haven't kept subfucsa before so I can try more moisture. The dram vial has plenty of ventilation so stuffiness shouldn't be an issue

Pokie's abdomens don't get as fat as some of the new world terrestrials you see. It could be fasting, yet killing the prey because it's annoying and bothering it. I'd be willing to bet that it's full and has enough food to last through to the next molt, and it's just killing the prey so it doesn't bother it anymore.
Thanks for that advice. I was aware that Pokies didn't get as fat but that makes me feel a little better. I remove that last cricket he killed, keep watering him, and wait for a molt :)

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
they do...pokies adults can get very fat for an arboreal, even if slings typically dont. Just to be clear.
Ok, I agree. I actually have a metallica that gets very fat. They are just more elongated ovals than rounded out abdomens, but yes. They can get fat but they don't always need to be that fat, or want to be if they aren't hungry