poecilotheria, not a hundred percent on which pokie though.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure what exactly the debate is still about. It's an ornata, no question about it.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the post and appreciate what you are saying about the handling, I do understand the dangers and defo don't wont to feel the pain of the venom. I only really handle them if I need to sort something in the tank and I know they would raver never even see a human. I have yet to see a fret pose from any of mine but do know it can just bite out of the blue. they are all very calm most of the time but do have there days as you no. thanks for you advice I do understand peoples warnings and my pokies to. is there any chance it could be a hanumavilasumica? thank for the post.
Use a pair of tongs and a catch cup and guide her into it. Do not use your hands, period. She probably won't give a threat pose before she decides to bite you. Is it really worth it?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, they are generally same size. The reason i say rufilata is bigger is because they have a bigger body.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have owned many of both, and i respectfully disagree, i dont even think ornata is close when it comes to the build, and ornata is more leggy. But it doesnt really matter, they are both very big poecs and is a must in every collection from experienced owners ;-)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's an ornata.

If it's not an ornata I will gouge my own eyes out with my two ornata sat on the shelf.

I'm amazed there was even any debate about it.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's an ornata.

If it's not an ornata I will gouge my own eyes out with my two ornata sat on the shelf.

I'm amazed there was even any debate about it.
What amazes me even more is that you guys dont know how to correctly ID a poec!!!
It is ornata, but if you want to be 100% positive you have to see the underside of the leg segments. This is common knowledge here in Denmark amongst experienced pocie keepers, but then again, that is of course a city in Sweden ;-)

If you deny this, then you dont know enough abouts the genus poecilotheria... But i rest my case for now, no need to talk to deaf ears..

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What amazes me even more is that you guys dont know how to correctly ID a poec!!!
It is ornata, but if you want to be 100% positive you have to see the underside of the leg segments. This is common knowledge here in Denmark amongst experienced pocie keepers, but then again, that is of course a city in Sweden ;-)

If you deny this, then you dont know enough abouts the genus poecilotheria... But i rest my case for now, no need to talk to deaf ears..
What pokie is this?

Or this?

Sometimes a ventral is just not needed as it is clear as day. :)

Attachments

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1. With about half the Poec species, they can easily be I'D dorsally by color, leg banding (or the lack of it), or carapace marking: miranda, subfusca, metallica, ornata, rufilata, & formosa. The other half you usually need to look ventrally at leg bands or belly band: fasciata, hanuma, regalis, striata, smithi, tigrina, & vitatta. All of the second group have similar black/white/grey dorsal markings, which is excellent for blending in with tree bark.

In the two pics above they can be I'D by the carapace marking. Metallica is obvious with the broad center band (most species have a wishbone-type marking), and subfusca by the starburst pattern. Metallica doesn't have light-colored leg bands on the metatarsi. Ventrally, these two have the darkest legs of the Poecs, but you shouldn't need to check there to know what species these two are.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer

It's common knowledge in the UK too, but on occasions like this you don't even need to go that far. The spider was so obviously an ornata there was no need to go any further.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know. I was just wondering why nobody noticed this. I find it a little funny people try to justify or contest that i am right. because i AM right, no discussion. Discussed this subject among 5 experienced poec keepers with min 7 years of experience each, and they say the same thing. We have ornata blue now, how do you recognise this one dorsally? Maybe there is more of these things with poecs out there, who knows!

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

What pokie is this?

Or this?

This is not about what is needed, this is about what is the correct way and most reliable way to ID a poec. Easy examples you throw in here, i think my mom can ID the metallicca, and she has deepsided arachnofobia.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 04:28 PM ----------

Lopez;
I am sure it is, but i just see many comments in here ignoring this, that is why i think that many simply dont know this. I see that many poec guys write in this thread, but i am just surprised of how few who knows this!

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 04:39 PM ----------

+1. With about half the Poec species, they can easily be I'D dorsally by color, leg banding (or the lack of it), or carapace marking: miranda, subfusca, metallica, ornata, rufilata, & formosa. The other half you usually need to look ventrally at leg bands or belly band: fasciata, hanuma, regalis, striata, smithi, tigrina, & vitatta. All of the second group have similar black/white/grey dorsal markings, which is excellent for blending in with tree bark.

In the two pics above they can be I'D by the carapace marking. Metallica is obvious with the broad center band (most species have a wishbone-type marking), and subfusca by the starburst pattern. Metallica doesn't have light-colored leg bands on the metatarsi. Ventrally, these two have the darkest legs of the Poecs, but you shouldn't need to check there to know what species these two are.

Well, why did you just say that you knew this! Was it difficult? This stuff here i know, and have known for some years know. But happy that you decided to cut it out in pieces, i did not want to do that, because we use the other way to ID them all. Of course not with the most obvious poecs.

Last edited: