Poecilotheria metallica

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright.. my question is .. if my P.met molted on January 1st and again on Feb 14th can I be pretty sure it is a male? its about 3" LS now.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, the speed of growth is a hint, but that doesn't have to mean it's male. but at 3", you shouldbe able to determine the sex quite easily by examining the exuvium (unless it was destroyed, of course).
my metallica is about 1.5" and she took about 2 month between moltings, but again, that doesn't mean it's female.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I knew it wouldnt say for sure but I thought I would see what kind of input I could get. and I have the exuvium but I suck at sexing them.. I usually tear it up without seeing what it was. and I hear Pokies are notoriously hard to sex.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pokies are very hard to sex ventrally. but with an exuvium, you should get a pretty good idea at that size.

try misting the 'skinny' part with warm water and a bit of dish soap. when it is soft, spread it out very carefully, maybe using a toothprick rather than your fingers. then you should be able to see a flap if it's female. or you could just take some good pics and let us have a guess ;)

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I have tried with toothpicks and Qtips.. I just always seem to tear it instead of opening it up.. because they are folded over and stuck together.. if I could get it open I can sex it no problem.. ah well I will try again :D

ok I tried and it just wouldnt open for me.. it was folded so I could see book lungs on either side but there was no way to unfold it without it falling apart.

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, i know the problem. i've been unable to sex my ornate of the same size as your metallica because she keeps crumbling up her molts :wall:

but if the exuvium is in not too bad a shape, the warm dish soap misting works quite well.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i will certyainly try that next time. it just so hard with the arboreals cause they web themselves up and you cant go in and get it fresh very easily.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you looked at mating pictures?

I sex my P. regalis by coloration.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
really, your metallica webs itself up? well, all my pokies do that to some extent when molting, but what they call webbing looks real amateurish next to any avic i've ever seen ;).
my pokies mostly just web a bit and put a bit of dirt on it - i've never had much of a problem retrieving a molt from them without disturbing them too much.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well it will be fine in the new cage but its old one was a cylindrical container so the dirty webbing made it imposible to get to the molt without going through the soft vulnerable spider.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
The spermathecae would be extremely difficult to see at that size without a microscope or very strong magnifying glass. Although your camera might be able to see what your eyes can't, you seem to be able to get up pretty close with your pictures. It's worth a try anyway, if you rip it then you're no worse off than you are now. Or maybe you could try posting some ventral shots if you can.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I will try the ventral shots cause i destroyed the molt already.. and for getting up close with my eyes I have a little jewellers eye magnifier which seems to work quite well.

Adding some pics to the post.

Hopefully they are clear and close enough.. its hard to get a good shot through the curved part of a KK :p Thanks to everyone for their time.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya thats looking kinda male to me....... but as mentioned with Pokies its harder to do the whole ventral thing.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I am pretty sure its a boy.. oh well just have to hope one of my friends' P.mets is a girl :D

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Hmmm, I'm leaning towards male. At least you'd have no trouble finding someone to do a 50/50 with. At the rate mine are growing I think yours will mature before I can even sex mine. lol!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to agree and say it looks like a possible male. What a beauty! I want one so bad. Oh, well, I have to wait.

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats a male. males pokies has that bump or dot kinda in the middle. females only have smooth ventral without that dot or bump in the middle. a frined of mine is good at V sexing pokies so far all seemed to go right and he taught me how to do it i am not just good at explaining but to me thats a male.