Poecilotheria metallica sling advice

hancan97

Arachnopeon
I recently got a p. metallica sling and decided to take to the community for advice. I don't have a lot of experience with tarantulas (my first T was a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens a few years ago, but I only had her for a couple months before she had to be rehomed). I have done extensive research on poecilotheria care and everything is going well so far, the sling has taken food every 5 days and has grown (though I have not found a molt). I am well aware of the risks involving behavior and venom potency with this species. I don't really agree with the concept of "beginner" species, I think specific knowledge and precautions are more important, which is why I'm here! If there are any experience keepers, I would very much appreciate any advice! I want to expand my knowledge further to continue raising this sling!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I am well aware of the risks involving behavior and venom potency with this species. I don't really agree with the concept of "beginner" species, I think specific knowledge and precautions are more important, which is why I'm here! If there are any experience keepers, I would very much appreciate any advice! I want to expand my knowledge further to continue raising this sling!
No amount of knowledge can give you the experience needed for rehousing something that fast.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I guess track could be useful if you get bit and need to run down to the emergency room only to find out they can’t do much for you and then you’re stuck paying for an Uber ride back.

What advice are you looking for?

PoeciIotheria

Pokie Collector
Classifieds User
Aside from it being an advanced T (and everything that entails that), there isn't much to keeping it. Pokies are quite hardy as long as you provide it with adequate space/hiding space, dry substrate w/ misting or an overflowed water dish or a moist (not damp) environment with good ventilation, and food. If you have done the research like you said you have and the sling is eating and growing, then there isn't much else to do than keep up the routine and watch it grow.

On a separate note, I disagree with the sentiment that you can disregard the idea of a beginner. There are some things you are just not ready for (like the quite literal teleportation of a pokie) if you haven't dealt with something similarly in person to prepare you for it i.e. an intermediate species that might have near the speed of a pokie, but not as potent of venom. Regardless, you are the owner whatever happens is always going to be your responsibility. Props to you for seeking more info, GL and enjoy your T!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I recently got a p. metallica sling and decided to take to the community for advice. I don't have a lot of experience with tarantulas (my first T was a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens a few years ago, but I only had her for a couple months before she had to be rehomed). I have done extensive research on poecilotheria care and everything is going well so far, the sling has taken food every 5 days and has grown (though I have not found a molt). I am well aware of the risks involving behavior and venom potency with this species. I don't really agree with the concept of "beginner" species, I think specific knowledge and precautions are more important, which is why I'm here! If there are any experience keepers, I would very much appreciate any advice! I want to expand my knowledge further to continue raising this sling!
Ok you already have the spider now so no point in telling you the caution. With that said they are actually a great species and easy to keep. Honestly, I think you would have more trouble with a few other new world species than with these. My first group of OW species included poecilotheria species. I never had an issues.

Enclosure setup is important. If it is a sling a 32 oz deli cup with cork bark leaned on the side. About 2 inches of substrate and sphagnum moss around the bottom. Do not glue the cork bark to the side. You can luck up sometimes and wait until it is on the cork bark and pull it out with the spider on it.

Rehouse should be the only issue but go slow and take your time. They can climb paint brushes so for some species like this I slide a clear cup with a hole in it over the paint brush, this way if it climbs the brush it goes into the cup, you can slide the cup off the brush and its ready to rehouse. Most of the time mine would not threat pose and were fairly easy to move.

Last edited:

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Follow @jrh3’s advice for care, rehouse in a big storage tub lined with Vaseline and take it slow. Hopefully after a few sling rehouses you’ll be somewhat prepared for when the little teleport-T obtains medically significant venom.

If not you’ll learn the hard way...

hancan97

Arachnopeon
Ok you already have the spider now so no point in telling you the caution. With that said they are actually a great species and easy to keep. Honestly, I think you would have more trouble with a few other new world species than with these. My first group of OW species included poecilotheria species. I never had an issues.

Enclosure setup is important. If it is a sling a 32 oz deli cup with cork bark leaned on the side. About 2 inches of substrate and sphagnum moss around the bottom. Do not glue the cork bark to the side. You can luck up sometimes and wait until it is on the cork bark and pull it out with the spider on it.

Rehouse should be the only issue but go slow and take your time. They can climb paint brushes so for some species like this I slide a clear cup with a hole in it over the paint brush, this way if it climbs the brush it goes into the cup, you can slide the cup off the brush and its ready to rehouse. Most of the time mine would not threat pose and were fairly easy to move.
That's awesome rehousing advice thank you, the enclosure is currently set up exactly as you mentioned.
Follow up question: I've had the sling for about a month and it has been eating and growing, but I have not found an exoskeleton from molt or bolus from feeding. The sling has constructed a beautiful tunnel of webbing and dirt curtains at the base of the cork bark and I'm worried they might not be taking the trash out. I don't want to destroy their burrow and cause stress, but if there's a chance there is detritus inside I don't want bacterial growth.

Follow @jrh3’s advice for care, rehouse in a big storage tub lined with Vaseline and take it slow. Hopefully after a few sling rehouses you’ll be somewhat prepared for when the little teleport-T obtains medically significant venom.

If not you’ll learn the hard way...
Thank you for the advice! I was planning on rehousing over my bathtub (dry with drain plugged of course) but a clear tub with a lid nearby seems like a more controlled backup plan. As far as behavioral observation so far, my individual has not shown to be flighty or photosensitive (knock on wood). I am erring on the side of caution assuming the sling just hasn't put it in 7th gear yet.

Aside from it being an advanced T (and everything that entails that), there isn't much to keeping it. Pokies are quite hardy as long as you provide it with adequate space/hiding space, dry substrate w/ misting or an overflowed water dish or a moist (not damp) environment with good ventilation, and food. If you have done the research like you said you have and the sling is eating and growing, then there isn't much else to do than keep up the routine and watch it grow.

On a separate note, I disagree with the sentiment that you can disregard the idea of a beginner. There are some things you are just not ready for (like the quite literal teleportation of a pokie) if you haven't dealt with something similarly in person to prepare you for it i.e. an intermediate species that might have near the speed of a pokie, but not as potent of venom. Regardless, you are the owner whatever happens is always going to be your responsibility. Props to you for seeking more info, GL and enjoy your T!
Thanks!
I guess track could be useful if you get bit and need to run down to the emergency room only to find out they can’t do much for you and then you’re stuck paying for an Uber ride back.

What advice are you looking for?
Any tips from experience. I'm finding tarantula keeping is kind of like baking, where you can know the recipe and instructions but everyone's grandma has their own tricks for greater success (idk if that analogy makes any sense). Just seeking experiential advice from tarantula grandmas. There is far less literature on invert care in comparison to other pet communities.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have a 2.5” p.met (molted the other week) which is not light sensitive, but skittish and will run every which direction high and low. Having an enclosure that is big enough for the T, but also giving you a safe working distance is important.

Mine is ready to rehouse now that it has recovered from the molt, as you can see this is an example where the enclosure size still works, but my safety is compromised because there is no longer a safe distance for me error on the side of when I need to do tarantula owner things. This would be one prime example why 32oz deli cups are a Better than amac boxes; the amac worked fine when small but when 1/3 of the enclosure is the lid and I need to get in it opens up the door to mishaps.

Example of unsafe working conditions:
B7B3F4D4-1AE2-4C84-AFB6-C76E8B85C958.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you for the advice! I was planning on rehousing over my bathtub (dry with drain plugged of course) but a clear tub with a lid nearby seems like a more controlled backup plan. As far as behavioral observation so far, my individual
I would reccommend the bathtub....the added space will help.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I would reccommend the bathtub....the added space will help.
I actually bought me a huge igloo cooler I found on clearance, maybe its 165 quart. That way I don't have to bend over and it is portable.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
When I rehoused my P rufilata it went pretty easy. She is pretty chill, never reacted poorly to the brush and crawled from one house right to the next. My P regalis, I was able to do place her old enclosure inside the new one and she came out on her own.
This can all turn south pretty quickly though. If you use a wide mouth Clear Big Gulp cup with some holes in it, you can extend the paintbrush through the cup so if it climbs the brush it most likely will cup itself. This provides some protection for your hand.
If the T cups itself you can use the holes to prod it back out into it's new enclosure

hancan97

Arachnopeon
I have a 2.5” p.met (molted the other week) which is not light sensitive, but skittish and will run every which direction high and low. Having an enclosure that is big enough for the T, but also giving you a safe working distance is important.

Mine is ready to rehouse now that it has recovered from the molt, as you can see this is an example where the enclosure size still works, but my safety is compromised because there is no longer a safe distance for me error on the side of when I need to do tarantula owner things. This would be one prime example why 32oz deli cups are a Better than amac boxes; the amac worked fine when small but when 1/3 of the enclosure is the lid and I need to get in it opens up the door to mishaps.

Example of unsafe working conditions:
View attachment 366541
My sling looks roughly the same size at the moment, I believe it was around 1.5 - 2 when received. She's in a 3x3w 6 tall front opening enclosure I previously had roaches in. It was definitely on the bigger side for a sling but I gave her lots of cork bark to hide and about 2.5 inch of substrate. I figured better to start a little bigger for the reason you stated, plus the fast growth rate = one less rehousing adventure. Sling seems comfortable, not too reclusive and finds the food easily.

I figured being an arboreal family that the pokie would more likely climb if startled (which is why I used front opening enclosure) is this correct or do they kind of bolt all over the place?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My sling looks roughly the same size at the moment, I believe it was around 1.5 - 2 when received. She's in a 3x3w 6 tall front opening enclosure I previously had roaches in. It was definitely on the bigger side for a sling but I gave her lots of cork bark to hide and about 2.5 inch of substrate. I figured better to start a little bigger for the reason you stated, plus the fast growth rate = one less rehousing adventure. Sling seems comfortable, not too reclusive and finds the food easily.

I figured being an arboreal family that the pokie would more likely climb if startled (which is why I used front opening enclosure) is this correct or do they kind of bolt all over the place?
Mine bolts every which direction you
can imagine. For that reason it’ll be going into a larger top opening enclosure this weekend of all works out with my schedule. Hopefully it’ll settle down over the next few molts and the last rehouse for its adult adult life will be in a side opening enclosure. We’ll see though.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I'm raising some P metallica slings, and I find them skittish and shy. They will run to their hide and stay as still as possible for the most part.

Bath tub is great for rehousings etc when they are a couple of inches.

But a fully grown pokie can run up the tub, the wall and be on the ceiling in seconds.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

I will add that I have found top opening enclosures work best for me. Gravity is your friend when feeding and watering.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I ran track in high school
So what, you aren’t fast enough compared to a T.

What specific info are you looking for?

There’s already tons of knowledge on the forum for inexperienced, first time Poki owners that don’t believe in the ladder system. All you have to do is read.

All the helpful tips above have been mentioned billions of times already- search and read. Then come back with specific questions for the specific knowledge you claim you’re looking for.

Your posts come off as someone who hasn’t done the research and is asking rather than doing the research.

When I rehoused my P rufilata it went pretty easy. She is pretty chill, never reacted poorly to the brush and crawled from one house right to the next. My P regalis, I was able to do place her old enclosure inside the new one and she came out on her own.
This can all turn south pretty quickly though. If you use a wide mouth Clear Big Gulp cup with some holes in it, you can extend the paintbrush through the cup so if it climbs the brush it most likely will cup itself. This provides some protection for your hand.
If the T cups itself you can use the holes to prod it back out into it's new enclosure
Those species are so large you can reach in with your hands :troll:

Last edited:

Cricket Legs

Arachnopeon
I'm also brand new to the T hobby, though I grew up on a farm and around lots of critters, just got 3 P. Metallicas in the mail. Can I ask how this has been working out so far?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
probably not to good op hasnt been back in 2 years use the search function you can find most answers solutions to issues you might have good luck best of luck to you