Poecilotheria metallica- Enclosure Size

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Looking for advice. I need to rehouse a 3” P. metallica. I’m not one to shortcut rehousings for the sake of connivence. However, this suspect male is off the rails skittish and no way predictable to any degree.

I have two enclosure options. First is a 6”x9” tall, second option is a 8”x12”tall. Both are top loading.

Should I go with the smaller one and rehouse again when it is closer to its adult size, or jump to the larger one now and see how it goes?

4E897840-C883-4BC1-AF20-C0E79789CB65.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If it is indeed a male, I would just rehouse it into smaller one, but if it could somehow be a female, than into larger one.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'd go with the larger one. The extra space isn't so much for the spider, but for you. It'll give you more room to work in the enclosure to reduce the odds of accidently freaking the spider out during maintenance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looking for advice. I need to rehouse a 3” P. metallica. I’m not one to shortcut rehousings for the sake of connivence. However, this suspect male is off the rails skittish and no way predictable to any degree.

I have two enclosure options. First is a 6”x9” tall, second option is a 8”x12”tall. Both are top loading.

Should I go with the smaller one and rehouse again when it is closer to its adult size, or jump to the larger one now and see how it goes?

View attachment 383917
Larger one- no brainer

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Thanks all. I started second guessing myself solely based on how skittish it is.

This will be my largest enclosure setup to date so super pumped to see how it turns out.

I did have a dream last nite, which I rarely even remember dreaming, that I had a loose pokie in the kitchen and dealing with a black mamba bite that happened during the fiasco. I do not even own snakes.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I agree with what everyone else has said. When you're dealing with a species that has medically significant venom especially, you need enough room to work so that the spider has a place to hide and doesn't feel cornered or exposed and therefore forced to defend itself. And it'll reduce the amount of future rehousings, which is safest and less stressful for everyone.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Thanks All! I’m moving forward with my large enclosure. While he is a challenge and then some he’s getting a premium build. Can’t wait to share once it’s ready. I’ll post a pic prior to the rehouse.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
What do you think of this, still working on plant placement.Trying to keep it simple enough so it can find food, but also thinking about it going from 3” to 5”+ potentially.

it has access from the top and hole at the sub level to use. I thought of adding another piece of cork bark but cramped the enclosure quite a bit.

7336D8C1-E4F0-4B52-895A-320E0AD89C24.jpeg 4C602F60-865A-4AE7-91B4-91286682FB86.jpeg

Okay, this is pretty much final. Trying to balance coverage and not too many hiding spots for prey.
597930C2-8660-4BF5-B5FE-64C0DF57AA82.jpeg 94EF2E0B-E675-4BA7-9EE4-FD2DA52CC1E3.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Okay, done-done. I ended up flipping the orientation of the bark to the opposite side so when I open the lid I now have a barrier vs. wide open over where I expect it to make its hide.

Transfer went smooth. Was barely able to get the old enclosure inside the new and just opened the top and it walked out a few minutes later. It’s calm, cool and collected so hope this helps it out long term.

Water dish is a small gecko magnetic ledge behind the leaf on the left side just under the air holes. Nice thing is it helped secure the bark to the back of the enclosure.

11646844-40AF-4D64-AFA7-DF1E90EA8FBF.jpeg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
For future reference, when I think the hide entrance is too large and the tarantula won't feel safe inside when I'm working in the enclosure, I'll hot glue clumps of long sphagnum moss to the edge of the cork bark entrance to decrease the size of the hole, reduce the amount of light coming through, and provide something for the tarantula to hide behind should it choose to do so.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Poecilotheria use their substrate to make their webbings, it wouldnt hurt to add 1.5 inches of extra sub.

very pretty enclosure though, ill be keeping the thread on hand for aesthetic reference.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
For future reference, when I think the hide entrance is too large and the tarantula won't feel safe inside when I'm working in the enclosure, I'll hot glue clumps of long sphagnum moss to the edge of the cork bark entrance to decrease the size of the hole, reduce the amount of light coming through, and provide something for the tarantula to hide behind should it choose to do so.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll add some moss and see if he uses it.

Poecilotheria use their substrate to make their webbings, it wouldnt hurt to add 1.5 inches of extra sub.

very pretty enclosure though, ill be keeping the thread on hand for aesthetic reference.
Excellent. I can add more sub.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the tip. I’ll add some moss and see if he uses it.
Have you already done the transfer? It's not something I would advise with the T in the enclosure.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Have you already done the transfer? It's not something I would advise with the T in the enclosure.
I did already move the T in. I just added a little more substraight and loose moss. It was in a spot I could clearly see it and out of the way. I’ll see what it does with it and how it acclimates. It did not get all skittish, so I was happy about that.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I want to express my appreciation for the advice ya’ll have provided. Since the rehouse my T has dialed down on the erratic skittish behavior and even started to web when not in premolt.

Not only is my T thriving in the new digs, I’ve also found a renewed appreciation for it.

Not that you can see much, but there is webbing in the front left of the enclosure, but also the top back and middle. It’s also been exceptional at catching crickets too. I find it hanging out in different areas. It’s still a weirdo and not as light sensitive as many have observed with theirs, but zero complaints since I do get to see it.

You all rock!

819A8288-F0B1-48E6-876F-402E16867EC5.jpeg