Poecilotheria metallica as the Holy Grail

Poecilotheria metallica

• Yes, it is the ulimate tarantula for any collection.

Votes: 25 16.1%
  • No, it is a very beautiful tarantula, and very popular, but not the "begin all, end all" tarantula.

Votes: 130 83.9%

• Total voters

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria sp. "mallamalai"

There's some debate over whether or not this is a new species.

According to Andrew Smith, no one's working on describing a new species of Poecilotheria at the moment. Mr. Smith is arguably one of the world's foremost experts on the genus and if anyone knew this he would.

The Nallamalai, or Mallamalai Hills are said to be a big collection area of P. regalis, and that pic that's floating around of this "new species" looks very much like a juvenile P. regalis.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for now at least...

They certainly are the holy grail of expense.
that is very true... but there's some people with sacs right now, so don't count on them being pricey for too much longer... not saying any names, but we all know that the price of P metallica is going to come waaaaayy down in the next couple of years. LOL

just look at Cyriopagopus sp. "singapore blue", a little over a year ago they were 100$ for a 1" spiderling.... now they are on average about 35-40$ for a 1" s'ling.

~as for me, they are not the "holy grail" of spiders. I'd take a nice fat Avic sp. amazonica or a nice big brachy anyday over a P metallica, but that's just me...

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
holy grail

I also say there isnt a holy grail of Ts. We all have Ts we like or want especially,and others we dont like or want, but that doesnt make any of them a holy grail. Its all opinion. IMO, metallica is nice-looking, but I wouldnt pay 250 plus for one (or even 200). I pretty much set around 120 as being a limit on spending on one T. I also think some people use having a metallica as a perceived status symbol. So, you have a metallica? Good for you. I like some pokies, especially my regalis, and really like my B. smithi and L. para.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
They certainly are the holy grail of expense.
Nah. What you guys don't think of is the extremely rare specimens some people have, that no one sells. There is like no price-tag on 'em, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Maybe the most expense on a dealer's list. (Are they more expensive the tigrinawesselli? I need to check up on some lists..)

-Sean

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Are they more expensive the tigrinawesselli? I need to check up on some lists..)
hey sean!!! well, i think that tigrinawesseli is actually cheaper than metallica... i've seen tigrinawesselli for 150$ for a 1" and usually metallica is around 200$ for a 1"...

but i guess it just depends on the person selling them. I know that the price of P metallica is going to go down soon.. sooner than some might think..

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey sean!!! well, i think that tigrinawesseli is actually cheaper than metallica... i've seen tigrinawesselli for 150$ for a 1" and usually metallica is around 200$ for a 1"...

but i guess it just depends on the person selling them. I know that the price of P metallica is going to go down soon.. sooner than some might think..
Really? hope not, that would suck.. :D
jk. I remember, when i first saw a p.metallica, literally :eek: :eek: ..
Though, it's not the holy grail, it's one beautiful T.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fell off the band wagon

Hey,
Well I guess I am the only one that voted "yes." I am thinking that mine is a female, and I wouldn't trade her for too much. If I was stranded on a desert island, and could have only one tarantula, it would be P. metallica.
I would love to check back on this thread in a few years when they are going for twenty five bucks a piece, and see all the people hating on them now that will have many of them.
;P
Jon