Poecilotheria metallica as the Holy Grail

Poecilotheria metallica

• Yes, it is the ulimate tarantula for any collection.

Votes: 25 16.1%
  • No, it is a very beautiful tarantula, and very popular, but not the "begin all, end all" tarantula.

Votes: 130 83.9%

• Total voters

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Having a P. metallica is not my goal i would like to have one but my spider that i am wanting really bad is a adult female G. pulchra

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Holy Grail... absolute must have, in any collection is B. smithi.

Who here that's been in the hobby for 1 year + hasn't had one?

Ive been in the hobby for 1 year+ and I still dont (nor ever) have a B. Smithi. In fact I dont see myself really ever getting one unless i start a HUGE collection. I've decided to limit myself to 10 T's total. And for the Brachies Emilia gets my vote before Smithi!

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
same here. i'm more gravitated toward defensive species, especially OWs, so i can't really see myself getting a smithi any time soon.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Well I voted no. I do have three of them, at least one possible female (just waiting for moult to confirm). But it is not the holy grail for me, for me the holy grail in my collection is my female P. miranda. She is absolutely gorgeous and my favourite pokie. That being said I don't think I would trade my P. metallica for anything as I do love them, they are really beautiful.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For me it would be an extremely rare tarantula found only in deep caves in Mexico (sorry couldn't find the scientific name).

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: :eek:

*Psst... maybe you should see them before you say that.;)

-Sean
I find M. balfouri exceedingly boring. Same goes for Encyocratella olivacea, if not more so. P. tigrinawesseli, while very nice, doesn't look much more interesting than say P. regalis, unless I am missing something. May be they turn purple in pre-molt. Same applies to P. hanumavilasumica, albeit I couldn't find large pic-s of them, so I can't be positive.

So yeah, I saw them.

I should say for the nth time, however, that my point there is that holy grail shouldn't be defined as it was in the poll, since this definition precludes any spider, indeed, any object form ever achieving it. I think M. Jacobi pointed that out too.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
lol this thread is well funny.
Oh and the only holy grail T is fresh Cameroon Highland T that is drunk over looking the plantation it was picked in, with your wife and a good friend after a week of looking for bugs.;)
Cheers
Chris:)

Attachments

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

The holy grail for me would be M.balfouri or E.olivacea.
P.metallica are very beautiful but not holy grail.

Take care!

Alain

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definitely not a Holy Grail, for one reason, basically anyone with around $250 to spare can own one, by definition I think a Holy Grail would have to be something which is extremely hard to obtain. In the case of arthropods, something that's not even in the hobby, for example, Scolopendra hardwickii would be much closer to a Holy Grail for me.

As far as tarantulas go, I do love Poecilotheria, I think they are one of the most impressive genus, both in build and markings. At the same time, I find the Cyriopagopus genus even more desirable as far as what I actually want to keep.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Copper in the Veins

I believe that's a disorder known as Wilson's Disease. You should get it looked at... there are ways of controlling it, because the copper can build up and cause some severe neurological and physical problems.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1) DrAce is very silly

2) I disagree with a couple points.

2a) MJ, I do not find wikis to be valueless... i think anyone who accepts them as gospel deserves all the bad things that are likely to happen to them. wikis are an excellent starting point for online researching. many times wikis have cites to their data sources... and typically these data sources are very reputable. i suppose wikis are as useful as the researcher is skilled.

2b) I do not think the use of holy grail in teh original wikipedia cite is directly equatable to rarity or anything close to the definiton provided by TDF. i believe the use was more in line with: holy grail = a species that generated a HUGE amount of buzz on its introduction and continues to captivate the hobby at large to a greater degree than most other species... and in that sense, i find it hard to name a species that fulfills "holy grail" better. just look at how many posts are q's or announcements about P. metallica versus any other singel species. My very unscientific memory thinks that the P. mets should be head and shoulders above any other single species... at least on arachnoboards and at least for the last couple years.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wilson's Disease

Wilson's disease is a serious condition. Copper in the veins is the least of his concerns. The corneal deposit of copper is usually the give-away. It's a golden ring around the eye.

Azza

Arachnopeon
They kinda look radioactive or something to me and i don't feel like I'd want to get one they just seem too weird and a bit ugly for me.

Just my opinions though...

Azza

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
DrAce...you're taking it WAY too literal

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ahh, but that's the point

Methinks this whole 'Holy Grail' thing is also a touch too literal, no?

Normally, I'm the first stickler to come out of the woodwork when a comma, or other mis-placed piece of punctuation or erratic word is found, but this particular thread was a nasty attack on a good first attempt of a wikipedia entry.

Literally, no, the P. metallica is not a holy grail. There is little which is, in fact, a holy grail, since there should only be one of the things, and presumably it's not been found, since there's so much attention still going into finding it.

I think this poll was especially sas, since you can just go and edit anything in wikipedia you don't like, including any holy grail references. I sure changed that wikipedia entry a lot... I know others did too.

Just my opinion, of course...

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For the last time there is not holy grail. The point of this thread was to prove that the majority of people are not seeking just one tarantulas for there collection. The point is that I could go to every tarantula entry and post it as the holy grail of this hobby because I think it is.

There is no holy grail, by any definition or all tarantulas are holy grails.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Titles of threads, and carefully wording your words

I completely agree with you on all of your comments, DarkFinder. MY point is that you are actually being quite nasty by spilling the discussion out of the original thread. I'm offended, and it wasn't even my topic.

The very idea of a holy grail is that it's unattainable. Your poll just confirms that most people understand that. I don't actually think it's what speedreader originally meant. It was, however, probably the wrong word.

These postings are opinion. Unless you bother to add references, it's all hearsay, and nothing more. I don't think this poll adds any weight to anyones opinion. I do think it's vindictive and slightly nasty. You're trying to get the last word into a discussion which was happily playing out elsewhere.

Just my opinion, again.