• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Poecilotheria formosa

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I received a MM on loan and began cycling the MM in with three females starting on 9/29/07.

Females were all recently molted, and I waited about 2 weeks after the molt to pair them together. I also fed these girls well before letting the male try to mate because I had heard rumors Formosa females can be mean toward the males.

Lighting- A lamp in the corner giving me just enough light to see what was going on.

Temps- 77-80.

When the MM was placed in the females tank I left the lid open. The MM seemed nervous at first but started tapping after a brief pause. All three females were all equally feisty bearing their fangs and slapping at the male but the male got a good insert with every female. The MM went on loan to another party and returned a few weeks later to mate with the last female whom had just molted. She co habited with the MM till he died with one good mating seen.

Since the pairings the females have been being fed really well, now they will have their temps dropped to the mid 60's low 70's. I will watch for signs of them being gravid, and in about 6-8 more weeks they will have their temps raised again and misting will be heaving and often to try and stimulate an egg sac.

Updates will be added on the outcome in the future.

Here a picture from one of the pairings.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So far so good!

Just an update, the first female mated made a sac on the 28th of Jan 4 months after the first pairing had occurred.
I'll give another update when I take the sac in three weeks.

On Another note, I got really busy, and no cool down was given for any of the bred females. It was intended but never done. But with production happening anyway, if this is successful I will forgo cool down with this species in the future.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very successful.

Two out of the three bred females gave me sacs. The first was the bigger of the two with a total of 112 slings that made it to 3rd instar and are feeding. The second sac looks like I might have about 80-90 that will make it to feeding slings.
The smallest of the three females at barely 5" molted. (Which was expected.) But she was bred again to my MM and is looking very good. In addition to the small female molting and being re bred I received a female on a reverse breeding loan and I have bred her now as well.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? Only one other report? Wow.

Success

Female and male cohabitated in October/November 2009.

Sac laid April 21, 2010.

Sac pulled May 10, 2010 - eggs with legs.

1st instar May 19, 2010.

2nd instar June 4, 2010.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unsuccessful

male matured 6-1-11 4 1/2"
female's last molt 7-4-11 6"

temp 80F humidity 70%

9-4-11
10:20pm male introduced and he started drumming/searching for female
11:30pm male found female, she has been unresponsive, he backed off and continued drumming
11:50pm female rushed at male then stopped, male continued drumming
12:05am female rushed male again
i took the male out and returned him to his enclosure, i fed the female a adult male dubia roach

9-6-11
3:00pm male introduced again to female, this time left to spend the night

9-7-11
female found eating the male

10-8-11
female molted

martin lees

Arachnopeon
Poecilotheria formosa

Successful

Special care
AF was given either two large brown crickets or a large Dubia roach per week.
Mm was collected from Sean Mackie on a 50/50 breeding loan.
Pairing
Male was shark tanked for one evening after I witnessed him doing a sperm web.He was then released into the females enclosure on 29th April 2012.He was eaten by her after two night of being together.
Post mating care
Her enclosure(House of spiders 8x8x14 )was kept at around 75'f for the next few months.Then around mid August the enclosure was placed on the top shelf at around 82' f,and she was fed approx 4 large brown crickets per week.I also covered her tank with a pills case and wetted the substrata and left it to dry out.By early September she had started to web up all the back of the enclsosure.On 9th September,2012 I noticed an eggsack.
Time to eggsack-4 months.
I pulled the eggsack at 30 days and noticed around 80 EWLand some N2,s
Within 2/3 days they were all N2,s
16th October molted to n3,s
29th October molted to n4,s (quite a rare stage confirmed to me by Craig mackay)
After about a week they were all slings.
TOTAL 89