Poecilotheria fasciata for my second T?

USS Arachnid

Arachnosquire
So I've had a 3/4 inch b.vagans sling for a little under a month now. It hasn't molted but I think its going to soon as I've noticed the burrow hole getting smaller and smaller and the burrow itself is large and empty of dirt. I've been feeding live now and before i fed pre-killed. I'm interested in getting another T, but preferably one thats arboreal and around 2 inches. I'm considering a Poecilotheria fasciata because they are not to expensive and i can get one thats unsexed at 2 inches right now? Should i back off on the idea of a Poecilotheria for my first arboreal?

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
So I've had a 3/4 inch b.vagans sling for a little under a month now. It hasn't molted but I think its going to soon as I've noticed the burrow hole getting smaller and smaller and the burrow itself is large and empty of dirt. I've been feeding live now and before i fed pre-killed. I'm interested in getting another T, but preferably one thats arboreal and around 2 inches. I'm considering a Poecilotheria fasciata because they are not to expensive and i can get one thats unsexed at 2 inches right now? Should i back off on the idea of a Poecilotheria for my first arboreal?
I would not suggest and old world T as your second. If you would like an arboreal tarantula I would suggest something from the Avicularia genus, or Caribena versicolor. Avicularia avicularia is a fairly cheap option. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens would also be a good choice, they make great webs and easy to care for. Poecilotheria's are much faster than what you'd be used to with a B. vagans, and have much more potent venom.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
*whispers softly* don't do it.

That's a terrible reason to acquire a living creature, by the way. "It's cheap so."

They're incredibly fast, skittish, and have very potent venom. Someone around here got bit by an adult female and @cold blood can tell the story as well as post the picture of her hand.

USS Arachnid

Arachnosquire
Im only mentioning the costs because i work a part time job and have other expenses. I have a budget so i cant buy incredibly expensive t's. Cost is always a factor in life, as well as in keeping t's. I mentioned cost because its much cheaper than a green bottle blue at the same size.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Im only mentioning the costs because i work a part time job and have other expenses. I have a budget so i cant buy incredibly expensive t's. Cost is always a factor in life, as well as in keeping t's. I mentioned cost because its much cheaper than a green bottle blue at the same size.
Even when you have a budget, getting an animal you're unprepared for because it's cheap isn't a good reason. Also, C. cyaneopubescens aren't arboreal. Avicularia/Ybyrapora/Caribena slings aren't tremendously expensive, and they're arboreal NW tarantulas that are fast but much less defensive and with much less potent venom. I'm not sure what exactly your price point is, but I'm positive people here could find you something much better suited to your current skill level in your price range.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
There are inexpensive species of Avicularia (like Avicularia avicularia) that would make great first arboreals. I got a 3" Avicularia avicularia for $25. (I'd try to find a juvenile and not a sling, however, as the slings are less tolerant of beginner's errors.) My first two tarantulas were Avicularia avicularia, and I have enjoyed them very much.

Even Psalmopoeus cambridgei would be a better choice than a Poecilotheria, though I'm not sure I would recommend that to someone whose only experience is keeping "a 3/4 inch b.vagans sling for a little under a month." (While not an Old World species, they have more potent venom than many New World species, and they are faster than Avics if they decide to bolt.)

USS Arachnid

Arachnosquire
I just saw it on fear not tarantulas and thought it was a beautiful spider, and didn't know much about it. my budget is $45 and i wanted to ask the community about Poecilotheria before making any rash decisions.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I just saw it on fear not tarantulas and thought it was a beautiful spider, and didn't know much about it. my budget is $45 and i wanted to ask the community about Poecilotheria before making any rash decisions.
Yeah they're gorgeous tarantulas, and when you're ready for them you'll enjoy them. If you're not, they can be a nightmare.

I know someone who's selling Ybyrpora diversipes on here in your price range, around 2". I'd come out and say it but it would count as classifieds in the wrong forum, so if you're interested-- PM me.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I agree that a Poecilotheria is a bad choice as a second tarantula. I realize that this genus is aesthetically stunning, but hold off on them for a while. A bite from one of these guys is serious business. Read some of the bite reports to get an idea of their venom's severity.

I also vote that you get an Avicularia if you are wanting an arboreal. I have an Avicularia avicularia, and she is an absolute delight. :)

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Avic Avic or C. Versicolor are great options. For the size you want, you should be able to find an A. Avic in your price range.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There's no need to rush things. Poecilotheria fasciata will basically always be around. It's unwise to endanger the spider and yourself with your inexperience, just give it time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm considering a Poecilotheria fasciata because they are not to expensive and i can get one thats unsexed at 2 inches right now?
I wouldn't at this point in time. In the future I see no problem after you gain experience.

cold blood

Staff member
*whispers softly* don't do it.

That's a terrible reason to acquire a living creature, by the way. "It's cheap so."

They're incredibly fast, skittish, and have very potent venom. Someone around here got bit by an adult female and @cold blood can tell the story as well as post the picture of her hand.
2 weeks of pain and discomfort and an arm that looked like the walking dead.
I totally get cost...but the fact is that there are just as many or more great beginner/intermediate NWs that are just as cheap, just as readily available and very cool.

Slings of Nhandu sp (chromatus slings are dirt cheap...just ask me), G. pulchripes, A. geniculata, P. cancerides (feisty), Aphonopelma (heck adult females are cheap), Brachypelma albopilosum and vagans are both super cool ts, under-rated because they are so cheap, but don't make the mistake of looking past them, both are great ts to own....even any Lasiodora species would be good. N. incei is a dwarf, but faster, heavy webbers, fast growers and lack urticatng hairs (like Psalmos and Tappies) and are great slings to raise and aren't too expensive......on the arboreal side Avic avic juvies and adult females are readily available and cheap, P. cam slings are cheap and about the best sling to raise, not to mention one of the very best species to learn from if OW arboreals are your goal.

Lots of great options that are well within your skill level that would all make great ts in any collection.

USS Arachnid

Arachnosquire
Ive been searching for a Trinidad chevron juv. for a week now. Maybe i'm bad at searching but i cant find one. Ill check the classifieds here tonight though.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ive been searching for a Trinidad chevron juv. for a week now. Maybe i'm bad at searching but i cant find one. Ill check the classifieds here tonight though.
Search "For Sale/Trade/Want to Buy" and "Premium For Sale/Trade/Want to Buy" for the word cambridgei. I'm seeing several recent ads for slings and juveniles.

USS Arachnid

Arachnosquire
IMG_20170925_172842714.jpg IMG_20170925_172903447.jpg Ok, and then I plan on using this for a juvenile arboreal. What range of sizes can it hold? I'm drilling the side ventilation holes tonight. IMG_20170925_172903447.jpg

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That won't hold a P. cambridgei for long. These Ts grow FAST and they reach what-- 7"? @cold blood

Just remember when acquiring slings that they are going to grow up and need an adult enclosure. A lot of people hoard slings then realize they don't have nearly enough room for all the adult enclosures.