Poecilotheria and cork flats

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if it would be ok if i used a cork flat for my p metallica instead of a cork round cause i would like to view it more would this stress it out

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Poecs need a safe place to hide. I advise not doing that if there is an absence of a sufficient hide

cold blood

Staff member
Just use a flat piece of wood (or a couple)....cork "rounds" are not a necessity for keeping pokies...I never use them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I use flats for my Poecs. They will dig at the bottom and throw up dirt curtains if they feel necessary. I like to see them. I add in false plants as extra hiding spots

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I think misunderstood the OP. I agree with not using rounds I use flats leaned up against the wall at an angle for my poecs. I assumed the op meant having only a cork flat against the glass like in some exo terras

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
Half and half lol still able to somewhat view the T and she gets privacy when she wants, webbed up the opening and dug all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was wondering if it would be ok if i used a cork flat for my p metallica instead of a cork round cause i would like to view it more would this stress it out
In the wild this genus lives in holes within trees, deep holes too I might add. I understand the need to see them, they will make do w/out a cork round, your choice. I used cork rounds for my P. rufi's.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Half and half lol still able to somewhat view the T and she gets privacy when she wants, webbed up the opening and dug all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure.

Like the lights, what are you using for them, vendor? And how bright are they?? They appear to be blue for night observation.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Like the lights, what are you using for them, vendor? And how bright are they?? They appear to be blue for night observation.
I was gonna ask that too, they seem dim yet provide sufficient viewing light!!!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
For pokies i dont use rounds or flats per se'.
I make my own hides out of rounds that i cut/shape as i see fit. They remain enclosed and dark enough to let the T feel safe yet are open enough for great viewing in most cases.
Ones like that i prefer for pokies

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
IMG_0972.JPG Ok, so I've tried both setups: Cork rounds and cork flats leaned up against the back corner. Honestly, the idea of using a flat gives you the impression that you'll be able to see your T more. I've actually found that to be the exact opposite. My P. rufilata has a flat, and she has gone around the back and burrowed under it, and the opening to the burrow faces the back. AND, she built a dirt curtain in front of it! So, 90% of the time, all I see are her fuzzy green ninja shoes:sour:

I've had the best results from cork rounds that face forward. A round is a very desirable hide for a spider, so odds are very good it will use it. And since it faces forward, a flashlight is all you need to see your spider. My P. metallica is set up that way.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Yeah...I'd like to see my rufilata more too. She, however, does not reciprocate and finds new places to hide all the time. My advice to you is set an alarm for 3:17 AM and quietly check her enclosure all the while praying to get lucky.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 231966 Ok, so I've tried both setups: Cork rounds and cork flats leaned up against the back corner. Honestly, the idea of using a flat gives you the impression that you'll be able to see your T more. I've actually found that to be the exact opposite. My P. rufilata has a flat, and she has gone around the back and burrowed under it, and the opening to the burrow faces the back. AND, she built a dirt curtain in front of it! So, 90% of the time, all I see are her fuzzy green ninja shoes:sour:

I've had the best results from cork rounds that face forward. A round is a very desirable hide for a spider, so odds are very good it will use it. And since it faces forward, a flashlight is all you need to see your spider. My P. metallica is set up that way.
A Pokie Cannon there! Great shot.

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 231966 Ok, so I've tried both setups: Cork rounds and cork flats leaned up against the back corner. Honestly, the idea of using a flat gives you the impression that you'll be able to see your T more. I've actually found that to be the exact opposite. My P. rufilata has a flat, and she has gone around the back and burrowed under it, and the opening to the burrow faces the back. AND, she built a dirt curtain in front of it! So, 90% of the time, all I see are her fuzzy green ninja shoes:sour:

Has not been my experience at all. They hide in pre molt at times, but all my pokies are pretty visible regularly.