Poec. threat posture...

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Someone asked for a pic of a Poecilotherid in threat posture. This is the best I could do, rather, the best my spider would do. She wouldn't really cooperate and give me the full display, which is when they arch their "back", leg pairs I and II are up and side by side. Very neat. You really have to surprise them to get them to do that.
Can anybody guess the species?
john

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

awesome pic john, is it a redslate ornamental?--Jeff

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ornata....
i'm staring at two of them right now.... they are so beautiful when the get big!

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll go for the P. rufilata. I have a pic of the underside of the rufilata showing much red on the pedipalps, but I won't post it here since I don't know where on the net I got it from.
What a beautiful bleu on the footpads!!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool pic, John! are you using pothos plants in your enclosures? all I can say is since it does not have the "belly band" its not regalis!
:)
Ed

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Poecilotheria ornata

Originally posted by Martin H.
I have looked through my pix, you are right, P. rufilata has also some red hairs on the palps. But on the photo of LaRiz I am missing the blue parts on the femurs. Also the markings look different, don't they? Compare with the attached photo:
Wow! This wasn't a contest. Thanks for the complements and guesses people. Yes! Poecilotheria ornata. Poec. rufilata does have the reddish setae on the undersides of the pedipalps, but I don't think they're as fiery red as the P. ornata. Poec. ornata legs also seem to be a tad more lithe in appearance, and the "caution banding" is more contrasting and neat (clean) with more yellow.
Absence of the bright purple/blue on the insides of legs I and II, and pedipalps, is also an indicator. P. rufilata also seem to have larger more prominent scopulae. Both are kick@$$!
Pictured is a small female P. rufilata.
john