plz id giant milipede found in al

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well its not giant but its very big .ive never seen one this big around here b4 i dont know if this is his molt but i think its his dead body.any ways i found him in blount county alabama .in a aboandon rock quary. plz help id

july_74

Arachnopeon
What is this?

That looks like you found a Flatbacked Millipede. That species is from the Polydesmida order. These animals do not have eyes and are known to have stink glands as well. If you check the seventh body segment from the head you will find where the gonopods would be if it were a male. These Millipedes are common in the Southeastern US. I have seen them in North Carolina and Georgia where I live now. If it is still alive you can feed it rotting wood and leaves. I would keep it for a couple of days to observe and then return it to the wild. The little wild caught American Millipedes can be sensitive to moisture and temperature changes that occur in a climate controlled enviroment. I hope that answered your question. Enjoy your discovery.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its dead. i dont know if this is all of it i cant find the head its minus a head lol thanks